whats it worth?

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I'm thinking of replacing my camera body.
Anyone know what the 20D is worth?

It's boxed, mint and with all the bits and bobs it came with.

Shutter cycles is probably less than 3k

I was thinking of going to see about a PX trade in against a 30D and trying to sway them for a decent price by adding a 75-300 IS which I have no real use for.

If i go for the 30D, i can keep the BG-E2 grip and also still use my 60mm macro :)

thoughts?

550 ish with the lens or without?

not that i think a shop will take a big PX on against a body.

i'm only toying with the idea to move on the lens and maybe get a new toy at the same time. If the values suck, i'll stik with what i have as the 30d only really offers me 2 improvements

spot metering, so I can get the exposure wrong with finesse
bigger screen, so I can see the c**k up easier

:D

LOL. I'd have thought 550 ish body only, or with the kit lens which isn't going to make much difference? It's only my gut feeling on the value - I could be way out. :shrug: Certainly you wont get anywhere near that in part ex - a lot of camera shops shamelessly work on around 100% profit on 2nd hand gear. To get them to up the ante appreciably you have to be spending a lot of dosh.

I wouldn't trade my 20D for a 30D. If I was buying from scratch then it would be a no brainer, I'd go for the 30D. The 20D is a a great camera, I still use mine despite having the 1D, and I'm always struck by what a superb tool it is and what great value it is. It isn't going to date in terms of practicality and usefulness anytime soon. ;) If I ever replace my 20D, then for what it will be worth, I'll probably keep it - it never hurts to have a spare body or two lying around, especially one compatible with all your other gear.

If on the other hand you're in 'Gotta have one' mode, then I can identify totally with that. :LOL:

the issue is more to do with getting rid of the lens than the camera, it's taking up space at the moment. And swmbo is getting on my pip about boxes and gadgets :thumbsdown:

I agree that there isn't much of an upgrade path when moving to the 30 as oppesed to the 5 or 1, but they will demand more money than i'm willing to spend as it'll mean getting rid of the macro lens too :puke:

ive told you i will take that lens off you, but the only items i have for trade are a couple hairy half sucked humbugs at the moment...

your msn is still broke....

Ally said:
I thought the 20D was better than the 30D? heard the high iso's weren't as clean and that the detail was a bit wooly? true or not?

I'd not heard that Ally, but I can't see it mate tbh. It's the same processor, same chip as the 20D, with a few improvements. It's probably a rumour put around by someone who can't afford one. ;)

Ally said:
I read it in the digital camera mag, thay only gave it 82% against the 20D's 94% Maybe because thay are so alike?

Interesting then. :thinking:

well, i escaped my chains earlier and went out for a play :)

I'll not be going for a 30D after all, there just isn't enough improvement.

the 2.5" screen was good, but i can still c**k a shot up and not notice on the rear lcd in daylight.

Spot metering was nice, but i'm sure I can get the same results by being a little more careful and using AE-L

I liked the 5D, but i'll get divorced if I have to change the body and a lens too........:eek:

So for now, i'm sticking with the 20D

Back