What's next for Nikon in a Sports body?

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Wonder what's coming and when.

What do you realistically think is coming in their next sports body and when?

D4 with 16MP, cant see them upping the ISO sensitivity any more, its stupidly good at the moment, oh and drop the stupid video.

Is that 16Mb full frame?

Theres some thinking that Nikon might produce another top of the range with a crop sensor as the current 2 top models are so close to each other, they both use the same sensor so it might make sense to bring a crop back into the top line.

Having said that, Nikon are streets ahead of Canon in the high ISO business and have only got so far in front because their best sensor is full frame, im pretty sure a crop sensor would only make the iso sensitivity worse so who knows.

For sports (and practically everything else, to be honest) you don't need more IQ than the D3s already delivers - more Mpi just means bigger file sizes and wasted hard drive space...
Bear in mind that a typical image sent to press will be no more than 2Mb once it's cropped for transmission. From that you can print to A3 - I sent a sample batch of images at different resolutions away to one of those online poster places and I had to check against the original files as to which ones were which as they all looked equally good.

Others have mooted integrated wi-fi and GPS for bodies.
I think Nikon will push the iso boundries a little bit further but from what I was hearing in Photokina a couple of months ago, they'll be concentrating on the video capabilities of Pro SLR bodies. And a bit more weatherproofing to bring the D3-series back up to D2X/H standards.

Back