What's on your bookshelf?

I've been on a cheap book buying spree from eBay recently.

The Negative, The Print, and his autobiography - Ansel Adams
Photography, A Concise History - Ian Jeffrey
Photography, A Critical Introduction - Liz Wells
The Story of Art, and Art and Illusion: A Study in the Psychology of Pictorial Representation - Ernst Gombrich
A book of Robert Doisneau photos
The Zone System for 35mm Photographers - Carson Graves
Documentary Expression and Thirties America - William Stott
A Year In Photography - Magnum Archive
A book of Edward Weston photos

Just need to read 'em all now . . .

Last edited:
I borrow books so i can spend on kit.......

Looking up, I can see about a metre & a half's shelf-run of photo books, mostly single-photographer works, assisted by a number of essays and compilations, that date forwards from circa 1980 (I was too poor to buy books before that). Not half as many books as Martin Parr's got! There may be one or two or three that i regret buying to some extent, but no more than that. I'm not going to list them all, but will mention a few.

Post-Photography (The Artist with a Camera) - Robert Shore

Illuminance - Rinko Kawauchi

Photographs 1955 - 2010 - John Blakemore

Far Journeys - (the late) Bruce Chatwin (who made a living with his pen but had an art background and a Leica film camera ...)

An English Eye - The Photographs of (also the late) James Ravilious. A social documentary of the rural everyday that's not just utterly competent photographically, but utterly compassionate in the way that he treats the subjects of his attention.

And finally, if you're into landscape, check out The Pure Land by John Beatty, who manages to inject an energy that the usual rote of more static pictorialists miss.

Those last two make a good pair, really, and it's to do with the way that they involve with what they're photographing in an accessible way that transcends the materialistic (or the egotistic, or the commercial) ...

I've been on a cheap book buying spree from eBay recently.

The Negative, The Print, and his autobiography - Ansel Adams
Just need to read 'em all now . . .

But not volume 1 The Camera?

Still they are looking a little dated now, but the basics are still there..........

But not volume 1 The Camera?

Still they are looking a little dated now, but the basics are still there..........
Already read The Camera, last year, from the library. I'll buy it if I ever get a LF camera :D

I have much more on my tablet than I have on my soon to be redundant\repurposed book shelf.

What do I have? Well loads of books but nothing on photography :eek: For me, all I need for my simple type of photography is in my head and the internet is awash with excellent photos for ideas or examples past and present.

Back