Critique What's smaller than a springtail?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
... A baby springtail of course!

I think I got the focal point a little too far forward in this one, and would have loved to have been able to attempt a focus stack, but this little one wouldn't keep still (and then a sudden gust of wind took the leaf away and that was that).

Anyway, I still thought it was quite cute so decided to process.

Are you my Daddy?
by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Oh wow never seen a baby springtail before amazing capture must have been really small:)
Think that the focus is spot on all of its head is sharp

I agree - very 'cute' and a fantastic facial expression if there is such a thing with these guys.

Tell me - to me 'Springtails' are the little things that catapult themselves all over the place when I turn a rock over on the shore. Is this right ?

Thanks guys!

dinners said:
Tell me - to me 'Springtails' are the little things that catapult themselves all over the place when I turn a rock over on the shore. Is this right ?

More than likely. They have a tail-like appendage (known as the furca) that is tucked under their abdomen and held under tension. When needed they can release the "catch" and this flings them up into the air and away from danger (or into danger depending on where they land I suppose). They are also one of the few creatures that inhabit every continent (include the arctic regions) and there are a number of species that live along coastal areas. They are not to be confused with sand fleas however; these little fellas won't try and suck your blood!

Thanks guys!

More than likely. They have a tail-like appendage (known as the furca) that is tucked under their abdomen and held under tension. When needed they can release the "catch" and this flings them up into the air and away from danger (or into danger depending on where they land I suppose). They are also one of the few creatures that inhabit every continent (include the arctic regions) and there are a number of species that live along coastal areas. They are not to be confused with sand fleas however; these little fellas won't try and suck your blood!

Love these little guys! I had a pay with some of the larger species under a SEM a while back, you can clearly see the furca and tenaculum here -

6e73ede9eb42e987d6abd39ea2407c7f.jpg

Closeup of furca -

Springtail_Study_V_by_HairyToes.jpg

Closeup of tenaculum -

Springtail_Study_VI_by_HairyToes.jpg

And if you get really close, you can see the crazy hexagonal patterning on the cuticle -

Springtail_Study_VIII_by_HairyToes.jpg

Not as cute as your little dude though :p

(hope you don't mind me posting these in your thread, you seemed like a bit of Collembola fan)

Last edited:
(hope you don't mind me posting these in your thread, you seemed like a bit of Collembola fan)

Not at all Tom! I am indeed a Collembola fan and partly it's because I learn something new the more I photograph and talk about them! What an amazing set of images and they illustrate the discussion brilliantly.

Hmm... need to add an electron microscope to my amazon wish list I think ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Cheers

Back