What's so special about Lightroom?

Again, yes I know :p I think you're under the impression that I've pigeonholed LR and won't budge from the idea that its *just* for one type of photography. Thats not it all. The thread was about why its so special and thats all I've been trying to say this whole time. I'm the HDR guy and I use LR. I never said you can't use it to play. What I've been saying is that *if* you're this or that type of photographer then LR is special because....

Pete
It was the few comments that you made that made me think you were pigeonholing LR.......

Lightroom is best for people who get the shot right in camera imho.....
Its for people who don't need to add layers, do masks and such.....
But LR is definitely for wedding / portrait photographers who have got the shot right in camera....

I agree with all the above as it is for those but a whole lot more people too. I think we are both saying the same thing...... just differently :)

Yup :) I'd still say best, and for peeps who don't need to add layers and for those types of photographers but obviously anyone can use it if they want. This is instead of PS.

Yup :) I'd still say best, and for peeps who don't need to add layers and for those types of photographers but obviously anyone can use it if they want. This is instead of PS.

It is indeed for all those and many more. I say it's for ANYONE that shoots RAW whether they use Ps or not.

There will be some who may not see the full benefits but most I think would have a positive experience over using ACR and bridge.

Oh well, I guess this thread is null and void thanks to the fact that my mac isn't running Tiger or above!!

Balls - just dowloaded the trial and it don't work on my machine... looks like I'll be sticking with CS2

Lightroom and photoshop are totally different in my eyes. I feel lightroom is a Photographers tool where as photoshop is a graphic designers tool. It does not do away with PS but pete said it right its more for people who get the shot in camera. I think LR is excellent and has helped my workflow and many people I know massively.

I have only been using Lightroom for a month or so and really really like it. Previously I reviewed and categorised all my images in CS3 Bridge, which was ok, but since I am often working with over 1000 images, Bridge was a bit slow. Lightroom to me, basically replaces Bridge, I sort and categorise in LR make minor exposure and white balance changes, then once I have the final set of images, I go into Photoshop and use actions to process them to final. LR is brilliant. I stayed away from it for a long time but I am glad I finally made the jump. :)

Back