Whats the BEST Portrait lens on the market (Auto Focus) for Nikon

I think best will differ for person to person, but the Nikkor 85mm f1.4G is lovely, for longer the 135mm f2 DC is very nice though can have some CA's and the nikkor 200mm f2 VR is peerless imho.

Some will swear by 85mm 1.8 or 1.4, some love 70 -200 2.8, there's no easy answer. It will depend on your location, your style, your prefered focal length, camera, etc., etc.

For example, I love a 105mm for headshots, on a D610 and have a 80 - 200 (which I could afford the 70 - 200) for outdoor portraits.

If I had to go, for just one all encompassing lens, then it would be the 70 - 200 2.8 vrii.

It's largely a matter of personal taste, on FX I'd buy 135mm f2, some would be happy with much shorter, others would want longer.

If I had the money and I shot Nikon, I'd buy every lens listed above (I'm certain I'd find a use for them all).

It's largely a matter of personal taste, on FX I'd buy 135mm f2, some would be happy with much shorter, others would want longer.

If I had the money and I shot Nikon, I'd buy every lens listed above (I'm certain I'd find a use for them all).
Phil I have the 55mm Otus f1.4 but really want something a wee bitty longer and with AF, the Otus is easy enough to focus but I still prefer AF

Phil I have the 55mm Otus f1.4 but really want something a wee bitty longer and with AF, the Otus is easy enough to focus but I still prefer AF

84mm Nikkor F1.4 or F1.8g would be a good place to start. The 1.8G is lighter, smaller and barely less sharp. I really love mine and its nice and light on the camera.

I think the best portrait lenses nikon produce are the 105 &135 f/2 dc lenses. They're a little long in the tooth now, but just stunning. The dc is hard to use well, and they're not easy lenses to get the best from, but used right nothing else rips your subject out of the photo for you

As I don't shoot Nikon, I'd bow to this blokes better judgement...
I think the best portrait lenses nikon produce are the 105 &135 f/2 dc lenses. They're a little long in the tooth now, but just stunning. The dc is hard to use well, and they're not easy lenses to get the best from, but used right nothing else rips your subject out of the photo for you

The 200mm f/2 is better than the 135. The only rival to the 200 I found was the 400mm f/2.8. The best 85mm is the new Zeiss Otus which in my view are the best lenses you can get for Nikon. If you wait Sigma are rumoured to release a 135mm f/1.8 Art and Nikon have parented a 135mm f/1.8 VR. The Sigma 85 Art is also rumoured shortly.

As above its a V1 ............so a quick question is there much of a difference between the v1 and v2. price wise I can get a like new v1 for RM11800 ..........2100 quid

I have the 55mm Otus f1.4 but really want something a wee bitty longer
now negotiating for a second hand 200 f2 :)
I don't want to be rude, but are you sure you've thought this through? 200mm is more than a "wee bit" longer than 55mm.

I absolutely love the Canon 200mm f/2, and the Nikon equivalent is almost as good. But it's not necessarily very practical. It's a big heavy lump and you need a *lot* of space if you want to do anything other than head-and-shoulders portraits...

But if you're sure, then there's no practical difference between the Mk I and the Mk II. Slightly better VR and different coatings, that's it.

As above its a V1 ............so a quick question is there much of a difference between the v1 and v2. price wise I can get a like new v1 for RM11800 ..........2100 quid

It's a decent price for a mint one and v1 or v2 you won't notice any difference really. I've got the 200 v1 and the Otus like you and the 200 is the go to for portraits. Fast AF and a cream machine at f/2.

I don't want to be rude, but are you sure you've thought this through? 200mm is more than a "wee bit" longer than 55mm.

I absolutely love the Canon 200mm f/2, and the Nikon equivalent is almost as good. But it's not necessarily very practical. It's a big heavy lump and you need a *lot* of space if you want to do anything other than head-and-shoulders portraits...

But if you're sure, then there's no practical difference between the Mk I and the Mk II. Slightly better VR and different coatings, that's it.
Ive talked with the guys selling the 200mm f2 and he will keep it for me until I get home from work (I am currently on an Oil Rig in Nigeria and won't be home until the 13th March) My plan will be to take my 70/200 and get a feel for what I can get at 200mm for my typical shoots.........then make my mind up.
Size wise i already have the 300mm f2.8 and can hand hold that without any issues (I am quite a big lad), so I am not to concerned about the size of it but more concerned if like you say I can get in what I want in tight spaces, I can always put the Otus on if I get into that situation though.

I would say if you have a 55mm and a 300mm you are happy with then it's the gap between them that needs to be filled. If it were me I would find both 85 and 200 too similar to justify the expense and would rather fill the gap with with either the 70-200 f/2.8 and/or the 105 f/2.8 macro lens.

70-200 2.8G is the best and most versatile portrait lens IMHO.

It may not be the 'best' for any single isolated shot, but it is almost certainly the best choice overall. You just can't go wrong with one and as a bonus it looks like a proper kit.

I just bought a used Sigma 85mm f1.4 off another forum but unfortunately it had a chip on the front element so I sent it back today but before doing so I had a quick play and have to say I am definitely looking out for another.

This was shot wide open with it on my Pentax K-5IIs

Back