What's the better Compact options with HD video?

Edit My Images
No
I already have a Nikon D90, but would like a compact for the wife and those moments when I don't have the D90 to hand.

Read that the S90 is good, but it doesn't have HD video.

With a growing 8 months old boy, would like to take the opportunity with a decent compact and video.

Thoughts?

Why do you want HD? You do get used to what you watch.

I have Sky HD and never watch the HD version of any programme. When you compare side by side then yes there is a huge difference but 2 mins in and you forget....well i do :D

to be honest i thought it would be better safe keepings with HD, more future proof to keep it for the little one when he grows up etc.

I have HD video on my 500d and the files are massive
a 3 or 4 minute clip is like 700mb
I have dropped the size down now but there still huge

HD video is a great thing to have, but for me its a bit pointless. I've gone on saying how great it is, and it is but A) My poor little MacBook 13 almost dies when I try and play one B)We don't have an HD tv and C) My MacBook can't even burn DVDs to play on a normal tv, so this means I tend to keep them on my 8gb card for a while, then after a bit, delete them. I've taken to uploading them to Flickr, so thats where I tend to store the odd few that I think are good.

hmm interesting points and never thought about those.

so it looks like S90 is another good contendor, depending on budget (i have)

any recommendations on compacts for:

£100
£150
£200
£250
£300+

HD video has mahoosive files, so bear in mind you'll want something like an 8GB/16GB cards so make sure the models are compatible. have you thought about the latest panny tz series, the tz 10 and the older tz7 i believe both have hd video and there quite compact.

I believe the TZ7 (HD) is around £180 ish, as its just been superseded.

I have shot my 2yo son with my HD camcorder since he was born, when i do get round to editing the stuff I will be able to save as HD format and when Apple release a HD writer, burn DVDs. Maybe not the same, but why shoot in B&W when colour was launched? I would always go for the best I can afford when buying new stuff.

Personally I find camera footage poor, and having a camcorder means wife can do some while I snap! I am looking a t P&S for same reasons you are, and it seems to me the Canon G11 or S90 are best with the S90 best for me due to being a real P&S rather than a bridge type camera. The Pany LX3 seems to be well liked too. Kerso was doing them at £295 I think (S90).

to be honest i thought it would be better safe keepings with HD, more future proof to keep it for the little one when he grows up etc.

Totally agree with this for all forms of technology.

all interesting points.

looks like HD is too new for me and computer requirments required to be honest.
might sound stupid, but can you switch to non HD say?

as per above really eyeing it up as a true point and shoot type, so anyone can use it

ok, lets say S90 vs SX210is

both similar priced

sx210 has HD, bigger screen etc.

which would you go for say?

I would already have purchased a S90 if the video on it was decent, I really don't understand canons decision to implement such crappy video on it.

I would already have purchased a S90 if the video on it was decent, I really don't understand canons decision to implement such crappy video on it.

what you going for instead?

is the video that crappy?

Panasonic GF1 - HD video and great snaps. With the 20mm lens small enough for carrying round pretty much all the time. Not cheap though.

looking at getting a compact, was thinking IX220, S90 canon, pansonic etc. asthought they would be pretty good being circa £300 budget

however Jessops has a deal on, what do you think to:
would these be a good contendor as not to be sniffed at due to prices if they are a good buy?

Nikon Coolpix S4000 Digital Camera in Black

£239 down to £119?

Fujifilm Finepix JZ510 Digital Camera in Black
£299 down to £149

Canon Powershot SX200 IS Digital Camera - Black
£259 down to £199

I've just purchased a Panasonic GF1 + 20mm f1/.7 pancake lens as a second "backup" body/lens combo..........and I absolutely love it. The image quality produced from this lens and camera is insanely good for a camera of this size, and especially good for taking out on trips where an SLR would not be ideal. I tend to keep both cameras in my bag though, and use both because it is that good. Very sharp and colours are gorgeous.

It also has HD video, which I have not thoroughly tested but first impressions seem quite good, only downfall is that the microphone is mono and not stereo but clear enough for standard use. If you don't want to record in HD, you can always turn down the quality so it is not HD and takes up less space.

This does come at a high price however, at £600 for the camera+lens, although when you compare to an SLR+high end lens, it is still relatively cheap. It does also allow interchangable lenses so is more future proof and customisable/expandable as a camera which most other non-SLR's don't offer, so you do get what you pay for.

it was mentioned above, not sure if you've discounted it, but the Panasonic LX3's HD video is great, nice fast lens on it too and takes great photos generally just in the auto IA mode.

and if you needed to borrow it has a nice manual mode too, like the S90. The zoom is short and it's compact but not quite jeans compact but otherwise it's great.

Sorry no experience of others listed above.

Good luck

Al

Canon Powershot SX200 IS Digital Camera - Black
£259 down to £199

Can't speak for the others mentioned, but family of mine have the canon SX200, its a great little camera, but the pop up flash is a real pain, and a bit flimsy.

thanks

would be nice to have a compact for moments without dslr and say holiday next to a beach/pool etc. maybe it won't be wise to spend alot on it?

read some reviews on the nikon and it's quite basic but overall good. not bad for £120, but i see some places sell it at £150 ish so hardly half price LOL.

no reviews of fujifilm though?

My wifes TZ7 does decent video. You'll need some decent video editing software (we use Sony Vegas) and expect it to take some time to render being HD.

Clips straight from the camera are highly compressed. Putting them through a video editor means you not only join them together and tidy things up, they also play back smoother on your HD TV.

Back