What's the coating they use to make finishes more durable?

Edit My Images
No
Title says it all really, I'm referring to the coating you'll find on some lighting equipment like larger light stands or the back of reflectors etc.

You typically see it on anything that's been painted black and is going to take a bit of wear as it's external, it gives a pebbled or orange peel like texture/appearance and can be relatively easily removed by solvents so I'm assuming it's something sprayed on after the first layer(s) of paint.

Any ideas folks?

Hammerite?

Thought the same, tried it and I'm sure it'll work to the same result but the finish looks quite different as hammerite tends to look more consistent and is glossy but I'm trying to match the original which is almost always more a satin and has very distinct patterns between the flat and textured portions.

I've attached a photo of the piece I'm trying to repair, I tried to put some Hammerite on the bare metal but it must be galvanised so needs a primer which doesn't matter as I just wanted to see how close it is. Even if it were smoothly applied it's very glossy and the original is closer to a satin although still a bit reflective (eggshell maybe?).

IMG_20190505_155623.jpg

Saying that I've seen a number of different versions of this finish on equipment from different manufacturer's and they all vary slightly.

IMG_20190505_160347.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry mate, it wasn't intended as a serious answer. Creosote is banned now I think.
I assumed everybody knew about the stuff !

Back