whats the difference between Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
as title please.... i know about Photoshop, and am i right in thinking that Elements is just a cheaper, stripped down version?

as for Lightroom, never heard of it til i signed up to these forums

photoshop, is the big expensive photo editting software, elements is the cheaper stripped down version, and i think lightroom is a batch processing program

light room is designed for processing raw files, rather than image manlipunation. There is a trial version on adobe's website (or there was, if not i have an exe. you can use pm me).

I find lightroom easer to use as its all there with sliders, rather then processing the raw then moving onto the main part of ps.

If you download the 30 day trial use version 1.4.1, not the 2.0 beta.

Unless you have a Licensed copy of LR you can't play with the Beta...

Also before you start with Lightroom check out some of the tutorials on the web. If you've only got 30 days to decide if it's for you then you need to make full use of the time available.

Lightroom although designed to work with RAW files will also handle jpeg images

Current price for Lightroom is about £190. However as the version 2 incarnation is due in a few months ( No date from Adobe yet) may be worth hanging on, as there is no indication about free upgrades for recent purchases.

A 30 day version of Photoshop and Elements is also available from Adobe as well

If you've never done any image manipulation work before you may find Photoshop a bit overpowering as is the £500 price tag. Elements has a lot of the features of Photoshop, but at a tenth of the price, and may be a lot easier to use in the first place.

Unless you have a Licensed copy of LR you can't play with the Beta...

I downloaded the beta and installed it yesterday. I do intend to buy Lightroom some time but have never installed even a trial version on this PC... and the beta is working fine (as a 30 day trial).

Thought if I'm going to wait for V2 before purchasing then I might as well do my learning on that version. If it expires before v2 is out then I guess i could install a trial of the current version whilst i wait.

So am I right in thinking that if you have Adobe camera raw running on cs3, you dont actually need lightroom, as that can do all the raw manipulation too using sliders, etc?

Yup !!!

I'd call that spot on LL, and as CS3 comes with Bridge too that does all the batch processing you could ever need IMHO

:)

DD

ACR is the same processing as LR but i don't like the user interface on PS so use LR for most of my stuff.
Also LR doesn't change the original raw file so you can easy go back and start again even if you have exported the image.

I downloaded the beta and installed it yesterday. I do intend to buy Lightroom some time but have never installed even a trial version on this PC... and the beta is working fine (as a 30 day trial).

Thought if I'm going to wait for V2 before purchasing then I might as well do my learning on that version. If it expires before v2 is out then I guess i could install a trial of the current version whilst i wait.

Robert

Strange Adobe say you need a current version of LR or need to be "invited". But hey if it works fine...

One point the LR V2 and 1.4 libraries aren't compatible at the moment. This means that any work you do in V2 won't be transferable to the 1.4.1 version. Also at the moment 1.4.1 is not compatible with V2, although they say they will be upgradeable with the launch version of V2.

Back