Whats the difference with a Macro Zoom lens and a standard zoom lens ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I know this is not only a film question but in this case it relates to my film cameras.I'm thinking of looking for a zoom lens for my Praktica cameras ( Praktica Bayonet) one about 28 to 70 ish and one 70 + but I've noticed some are Macro zoom what is the difference between Macro and standard zooms ?

Thanks all

It's able to focus closer though not into the macro area despite its stated so.

on a lot of them I think its just a sales pitch :p. (cynical hat off).
as has already been said, but be a bit careful with checking specs out as some really don't focus very close at all

Thanks everyone for the replies, I don't really intend to use for close up shots but having never owned one I was unsure if a macro zoom was still usable for standard photography. It makes my choice a little easier as I'm already a little restricted with the fact I need Praktica Bayonet fitment.

Thanks all

I know this is not only a film question but in this case it relates to my film cameras.I'm thinking of looking for a zoom lens for my Praktica cameras ( Praktica Bayonet) one about 28 to 70 ish and one 70 + but I've noticed some are Macro zoom what is the difference between Macro and standard zooms ?

Thanks all

I have several zoom lenses which claim to be macro. In most cases, they are simply lenses which will focus closer by just turning the focus ring. However, I have a Tamron-f 85-210 which doesn't focus all that close in normal mode. It does have a little button on the side that completely alters the configuration; once you press that (and I think, slide something, can't remember), you can no longer focus to infinity, but you can focus down to a foot or so, and it gives what I call "semi-macro": roughly 2:1. It's a lovely lens, but I rarely use it for normal work as it weighs half a tonne, and I have a much cheaper zoom of similar range.

A macro 'advertised' zoom may well be sharper at the closest focusing distance than at infinity - for general purpose photography I would go for a 'standard' type zoom.

Purists will tell you that a true macro lens gives you at least a 1:1 life size image on the sensor or negative, though hardcore pedants (like me, obviously) might point out that when the term 'photo-macrograph' was originally coined, it just indicated a close-up photo taken without attaching your camera to a microscope ('photo-micrography'), and therefore of lower magnification (though no specific magnification on the negative seems to have been specified). A lot of mid-range zooms (especially from the film era) have a macro feature. It's not something I'd avoid; the manufacturers knew they'd mostly be used as general purpose zooms, with macro just a useful extra, and designed them accordingly. Some gave very high quality images at normal distances by the standards of the time. Magnification rarely went further than 'semi-Macro' 1:2 (e.g. the Nikon 28-105 at the long end, which has a special macro switch like Chris's Tamron), and was often less. One exception is Nikon's 70-180 zoom, which was part of their 'Micro' range (Nikon's confusing term for macro), and designed primarily but not exclusively for macro work (it goes to 1:1.32).

Last edited:
...I'm thinking of looking for a zoom lens for my Praktica cameras ( Praktica Bayonet) one about 28 to 70 ish and one 70 + ...l

I do not have many zoom lenses, got a Tamron Adaptall-2 35-135mm F/3.5-4.5 Model 40A that came attached to a camera body I wanted to buy and it was a nice surprise. Solid construction, useful range, uses 58mm filters and it has the macro functionality (with an external button as Chris described). I've made nice sharp pictures with it, so I dare to recommend it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I don't really intend to use for close up shots but having never owned one I was unsure if a macro zoom was still usable for standard photography. It makes my choice a little easier as I'm already a little restricted with the fact I need Praktica Bayonet fitment.

Thanks all
If you fancy going down the Tamron route as suggested by Ariel, you can buy an Adaptall 2 mount pretty cheaply on eBay at the moment.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...=m570.l1313&_nkw=praktica+tamron&_sacat=30059

Back