Whats the difference?

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
I'm just about to order a polarising filter but what the difference between a circular polarising filter and a linear one? other than the price? they're both 52mm

You need a circular polariser to allow autofocussing on DSLRs I believe, linear polarisers are fine if you're using an old manual film camera. I can't remember the technical ins and outs, but that's the general gist of it!

Chris

If one type of filter is more useful than any other would you say that would be a polarising one?

As far as the polarizing goes, basically nothing.

However, a circular polarizer has a secondary layer, which then unpolarizes the light that has passed through it.
So it cuts the light at '90 degree' as per a linear polarizer, but, as it de-polarizes the light again, it helps with focusing methods which require splitting a light beam and then re-combining it.

If you stack circular polarizers, they will not work as per the standard test for a polarizing item.
If you stack linear polarizers, then they will pass the standard test for a polarizing system (i.e. as you rotate the polarizing field, you will go from X% blockage to full blockage).

I use linears with my 400d and have never had a problem.
However, on automatic focusing systems, it is usually the pro-rata advice that circular polarizers be used.

Edit:

A polarizing filter cannot be reproduced in photoshop. Just as an infra-red filter cannot really be reproduced either.
Next on the list would be ND grads as far as I am concerned. They can be reproduced, but, you risk over/underexposing.
ND filters with high blocking numbers are also important. I had a play with some 30 second exposures, these would not be possible during daylight without NDs
Last, and probably least used, but nice is an IR filter.
After those four, then I reckon any other usual filter can be easily reproduced in photoshop.

If one type of filter is more useful than any other would you say that would be a polarising one?

It completely depends on what you shoot, but I would say 'yes', based on the fact that you can replicate most of the effects of other filters in photoshop or similar, but you cannot do that for a polariser (without great effort at least).

Chris

The only filter I always take with me is a polariser.

Second choice would be an ND Grad, but you can do something similar with HDR in post processing.

Third choice would be an ND for milky water effects.

You can keep the rest :D

Back