What's the point in a battery grip?

I've always used one, all the reasons above, and the fact that I'm terrible at remembering to charge batteries so having two in there gives me a bit more to play with. As Matthew says for things like startrails it's a must.

My simple reply is. If your camera doesn't have one it doesn't need one, if you want one get one. I seriously don't understand why anyone else would be interested or bothered.

I've got them for all of my dSLRs. Dunno why as I never use them.

• My hands are bigger than yours and I find a grip makes a camera more uncomfortable to use.
  • I use my camera with a long heavy lens more often than not. Having a heavy camera to 'balance' the lens is nonsense. With a properly heavy lens you're supporting it near the tripod foot - which means it's already balanced nicely. What do those people who reckon a grip balances a 70-200 do when they use a 500mm lens - glue an anvil to their camera?
  • I can shoot around 1500 images on one battery. When it gets near to running out I swap it for a fresh one in my bag/pocket.
  • I do like the way it makes my camera look like one of them expensive 1D things. But I'm normally shooting on my own, so there's nobody to impress.

for me its the extra size that helps with long lenses, the extra depth is the main advantage, helps reduce the camera dig into your hand in a annoying way

I have a fair few in my time, Winder, Motor drives and grips,they can be useful when using longer lens and not having to change your battery so often,but not so often theses days a few of my camera don't have them :)

I've only had one once and that was on a Canon 35mm SLR and I loved it because it allowed me to use rechargeable AA's and hated it because it added bulk.

On the BIG MAN with BIG HANDS and a BIG Camera thing... I just don't get this at all. I'm a man and I pride myself on being very dextrous. Being able to do things with my hands and fingers accurately and in a manly fashion is very... manly... and I really don't need a big camera for that :D

Why are some so defensive over grips? :/

Sheesh, it's just a lump of plastic :D

Why are some so defensive over grips? :/

Sheesh, it's just a lump of plastic :D

Indeed, use one don't use one it makes no odds to me, I use one for the reasons I've outlined, that works for me and that's all I really care about I couldn't care less if others think its because I want to make the camera look bigger as I know that's not the case :D it's nearly always dark when I'm shooting anyway so people cannot see my camera anyway :LOL:

Better balance for me.

I use 1D3 / 1D4 full size bodies most of the time but when I'm using my 40D (gripped) it means if I flip it around between landscape and portrait, the controls match what I'm used to.

Are people buying them for the ability to use AAs if things get desperate? I just can't see what it gives me beside extra weight and a £250 hole in the pocket...

Yes. Decent NiMh AAs last longer. I didn't pay £250 for mine, nor would I., as you're right.. it's not worth £250. I paid £40.

They also allow easier use of the command dials, shutter, and rear AF buttons while in portrait mode, which once you get used to, it really useful.

I used to use grips (and a 1 series body) was a bit more comfortable to use for long periods, as the grip sits a bit better into the heel of my hand compared to a small camera. Since swapping to a pair of 5d3s though, I haven't bothered with grips.

The slightly smaller size is handy sometimes. Battery life isn't an issue. I shoot 12+ hour events / weddings on one battery all the time, and if it does run low, there are more in my bag/pocket.

As for balance with large lenses, are people shooting one handed or something? Hold the lens with your left hand and it's going to be near the centre of gravity anyway, a few grams in a battery grip won't change that.

Each to their own though, obviously doesn't affect anyone else. I'm just looking for an excuse to take a break from all this processing...

put one on your camera you"ll never take it off :)

I did, very quickly. Ive tried over the years to use a battery grip with different cameras (350D, 40D, 5DMKIII) but i really dont see how they can help ME.
IME they unbalance the camera, make the camera too large to fit in my bags and add extra weight.
If im using a heavy lens then ill have a hand under it anyway, so between my two hands balance seems perfect.

I dont use anything heavier than my 24-70 f/2.8 MKII though.

Im used to putting my arm up for portrait shooting, and I find it odd having the VF halfway down the camera when using a grip.

Guess im in the minority.

wow, thanks for the responses everyone, didn't realise this was quite such an emotive topic!

A lot of very sensible points raised... I knew the grips had another shutter button but I guess as someone who shoots 65-70% in landscape orientation it hadn't occurred to me that some people are shooting almost exclusively in portrait (shooting a marathon was a good example).

Hadn't heard you could achieve faster fps with certain cameras - can definitely see the appeal there.

As for size, I can see the issue particularly with smaller bodies. I started with a 550d and found it fine as I had no basis for comparison... I've since moved to a 5d however and if I ever went back to the XXXd range I might struggle with the small size.

For now I think I'll stick with the spare batteries in the back pocket approach, but thanks for giving me food for thought!

ignoring some of the troll'y posts..

as most have said its much more comfortable shooting portrait for long periods, helps balance longer lenses out, stops having to rummage for batteries and losing opportunity, some cameras gain FPS etc. obviously at the cost of some weight added.

i always ran a meike grip on the 5Dmk2 for the reasons above, also i found switching between the 1Dmk3 and 5Dmk2 you had a very similar layout and weren't fumbling around for portrait buttons that weren't there.

They either work for you or they dont. I wouldnt have a body without one fitted. Its no big deal.

As for balance with large lenses, are people shooting one handed or something? Hold the lens with your left hand and it's going to be near the centre of gravity anyway, a few grams in a battery grip won't change that.

I think you and I may have a different idea as to what makes a long lens from those who need to add a grip for balance. As you say, with a long lens (if you are using it handheld) the natural way to shoot it is to support the weight near the centre of gravity with one hand and use the other to steer and shoot. The heavier the lens, the more irrelevant the mass of the camera.

I've always used one, all the reasons above, and the fact that I'm terrible at remembering to charge batteries so having two in there gives me a bit more to play with. As Matthew says for things like startrails it's a must.

Hmmm, my longest star trail is just over 500 shots of 30 seconds each - or just over 4 hours worth. I ran out of dark well before I ran out of battery.

I think you and I may have a different idea as to what makes a long lens from those who need to add a grip for balance. As you say, with a long lens (if you are using it handheld) the natural way to shoot it is to support the weight near the centre of gravity with one hand and use the other to steer and shoot. The heavier the lens, the more irrelevant the mass of the camera.

But wouldn't adding extra weight to either end make holding the whole lot more cumbersome? That was my experience with a 100-400 on my 5D3.

EDIT. Actually as that was just my experience and not others I guess the question is void.

Last edited:
Hmmm, my longest star trail is just over 500 shots of 30 seconds each - or just over 4 hours worth. I ran out of dark well before I ran out of battery.
I've run out on just over 300 photos on a cold night, that was when I had the 550D. Camera was tethered by a 10m USB cable to a laptop indoors - don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I've wondered this for a while, but as I'm currently about to buy a couple of additional batteries for a project I'm curious to know if there's something I'm missing about battery grips.

For me.
Balance with my 70-200 attached.
Xtra battery life.
Portrait.
When attaching the Tripod/Monopod plate the Grip takes one for the team.
Posing.

Im assuming then that those who think its a waste wont ever want to own a 1 series or the Nikon equivalent?

No one need to justify using or not using a grip. It doesnt matter if they use a 15 mm wide angle or an 800mm tele on their camera. if it suits use it. if not dont.

I think its a far better balance with the grip irrespective of any lens I put on the body. Therefore thats the only opinion that counts :)

Grip... not got round to getting one yet. Had one for previous bodies but up until the very recent bodies Canon grips were notoriously shocking. Proper big chunky things that had virtually no ergonomic consideration. Now, however, they look pretty good. Might try one.

I seem to have ruffled the feathers of a few posers.

In fairness, all you have done by your first and second post in this thread is successfully allow folks to from an opinion on you. And it's unlikely to be positive.

re balance: a non gripped body with a particularly heavy lens such as the 120-300, when supported on the tripod mount (either hand held or monopod) it had a tendency to want to tip forward. with the grip on the balance was moved back a bit. also the extra grip real-estate for heaver lenses is a godsend, especially if you have large hands.

the extra grip real-estate for heaver lenses is a godsend, especially if you have large hands.

As I said before. My hands are larger than yours and I find using a grip makes it more uncomfortable. And I don't grip a heavy lens with my right hand at all, it's just used for steering and pressing buttons.

thats an assumption ;)

no but when it comes to twisting the camera through the tripod mount quickly then the extra grip helps.

anyway, thats my experience. as many people have said it varies between users.

I've got them for all of my dSLRs. Dunno why as I never use them.

• My hands are bigger than yours and I find a grip makes a camera more uncomfortable to use.
  • I use my camera with a long heavy lens more often than not. Having a heavy camera to 'balance' the lens is nonsense. With a properly heavy lens you're supporting it near the tripod foot - which means it's already balanced nicely. What do those people who reckon a grip balances a 70-200 do when they use a 500mm lens - glue an anvil to their camera?
  • I can shoot around 1500 images on one battery. When it gets near to running out I swap it for a fresh one in my bag/pocket.
  • I do like the way it makes my camera look like one of them expensive 1D things. But I'm normally shooting on my own, so there's nobody to impress.

My hands are so big I cant get them in the pockets of my jeans.
I never support my 500mm at the tripod foot. Always just behind the lens hood.
So can I and i dont need to change the battery to take another 1500 and I dont risk missing a shot either.
Thinking it makes your camera look like a 1D is sad. :p

I guess some like them, some don't for whatever reason, the choice is down to the individual.

one thing for sure, I certainly would not pay Nikon prices for one.

I never support my 500mm at the tripod foot. Always just behind the lens hood.
That must be very tiring. Supporting a long lens at the tripod mount not only minimises the torque, but the bent elbow makes the arm much more stable, especially if you can get your elbow tucked into your body.

if I'm hand holding my 500, I spin the tripod foot out of the way and support it ,bent elbow, where the foot was, still prefer the body gripped, personal choice.

I use mine about 10% of the time, good for portrait stuff and as Bazza said above it increases the fps on the D300 so useful for sports etc. Also has the advantage that it can take AA's if I ever totally drain the proper camera batteries so useful as a back up that way too.

I can offer a different prespective as I have a battery grip for a much smaller, lighter breed of camera - the OM-D EM-5 (a micro four thirds camera if model numbers aren't your thing).

The camera body is quite small, meaning if you have large hands like me, you don't have your whole hand gripping the camera. This is fine for most lenses as they're pretty light (half the point of MFT). But when I plonk the 12-40/2.8 on, it is noticeably heavier and I can feel the camera wanting to "tip forwards" out of my hand. Adding the vertical non-battery half of the grip prevents this by giving me much more to grab on to. The camera is now thick enough to fill the hand so you're using your whole hand, not just your fingertips. It also adds a second shutter button further forwards, where your finger is now more likely to be.
The second half of the grip - the portrait bit - is ... well, the same comments apply as to the bigger cameras. Either you value the additional function vs bulk tradeoff or you don't.

Battery grips may not be for everyone, and everything that as been said before is probably true, including buying them for 'posing' - but when I go out on a job I want the get out of jail card of knowing that if everything else fails I can bang in a set of AAs and carry on!! These days without power it's over (unless you carry a film camera as well!!)

That must be very tiring. Supporting a long lens at the tripod mount not only minimises the torque, but the bent elbow makes the arm much more stable, especially if you can get your elbow tucked into your body.

I know but holding it further out makes it easier to swing through a bird in flight due to a longer lever.

Having said that I have recently started using a waist support and a small monopod with a tilt head and thats the way to go for using long heavy lenses without a tripod IMHO. Well worth the £35 it cost to set up.

Hah, interesting reading. Well at least the first page was! Must say I am for them, not for any new reason, just some that have already been mentioned. Certainly helps with balance on the D600 which is fairly lightweight, increased frame rate & portrait mode mainly. My aftermarket cheap one for the D600 has just went down so will be replacing it with the real McCoy asap.

I know but holding it further out makes it easier to swing through a bird in flight due to a longer lever.

Having said that I have recently started using a waist support and a small monopod with a tilt head and thats the way to go for using long heavy lenses without a tripod IMHO. Well worth the £35 it cost to set up.
sounds an entire interesting set up, any pics or links Gaz?

i bought one for my D800 and it made a big heavy camera bigger and heavier. So i took it off after 2 uses and never used it again. What i did buy and has been in place since day 1 is a kirk L plate. Stupidly expensive for what it is but it makes life so much better on a tripod.

Dont have a pic Ade and I am offshore at the moment. But these are the 2 bits i have .

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-234-monopod-tilt-head/p11018

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-294a4-aluminium-monopod/p1524357

To support it I have a fishermans rod butt holder like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-R...ngAcces_RL&hash=item5d4b96b80f#ht_1101wt_1161

Works extremely well. Head only tilts forward and backwards so no issues with lens flopping to one side.

Used it to take these with 500 f4 and 1DX. Given that the planes are doing approx 350 knots I had far more success than handholding previously.
9142_777778404539e03ace0120.jpg

9142_456885155539e03c33bf09.jpg

9142_1725506119539e03c7363a5.jpg

Dont have a pic Ade and I am offshore at the moment. But these are the 2 bits i have .

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-234-monopod-tilt-head/p11018

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-294a4-aluminium-monopod/p1524357

To support it I have a fishermans rod butt holder like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-R...ngAcces_RL&hash=item5d4b96b80f#ht_1101wt_1161

Works extremely well. Head only tilts forward and backwards so no issues with lens flopping to one side.

Used it to take these with 500 f4 and 1DX. Given that the planes are doing approx 350 knots I had far more success than handholding previously.
9142_777778404539e03ace0120.jpg

9142_456885155539e03c33bf09.jpg

9142_1725506119539e03c7363a5.jpg
thanks mate

Back