What's the point of the Canon 77D?

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
I'm resisting the urge to buy an 800D for wildlife, leaving my current 550D dedicated to landscape. The 77D, however, has confused me. It seems, in all but a couple of unimportant-to-me things, to be an identical spec to the 800D, very similar size and weight (and price), but in a body that looks like the more 'pro' Canons, ie it has the mode dial on the other side to make room for the top screen and a different back of camera control layout. Is it just to appease those who don't want to spend money but wouldn't be seen dead carrying a camera with 'xxxD' written on it or am I missing something? I wouldn't want to change away from the xxxDs unless there was a very, very good reason. The small size and weight suits me and my knackered hands mean I can't use rear controls on the fly. Whatever I get, if I get anything at all, will be for wildlife, usually with the Sigma 150-600C attached.

Or what is the point of the 800D?
The top display is a great feature.

But indeed the 2 camera are two similar in every way to be worth having two different model.
I would go for the 77D.

Actually not i moved from canon to nikon d750 a couple of years ago and i'll keep this for sure!

Or what is the point of the 800D?
The top display is a great feature.

But indeed the 2 camera are two similar in every way to be worth having two different model.
I would go for the 77D.

Actually not i moved from canon to nikon d750 a couple of years ago and i'll keep this for sure!

Not just me then.
I presume having the top screen is great if you're used to it. I've never used a camera with one so what you don't know.................
What is this N word? You mean other people make cameras too............... Nooooooooo...........;)

Not just me then.
I presume having the top screen is great if you're used to it. I've never used a camera with one so what you don't know.................
What is this N word? You mean other people make cameras too............... Nooooooooo...........;)

Lol, I prefer the N word to the C word
s a
I started with a canon 30D so always had a top screen, i think they are great!

Canon downgraded the xxd range from the 60d onwards. It used to be VERY clear the difference between a 40d and a 400d in build and it tech

Lol, I prefer the N word to the C word
s a
I started with a canon 30D so always had a top screen, i think they are great!

Only ever had a 350D and a 550D, so I get on fine without a top screen

Canon downgraded the xxd range from the 60d onwards. It used to be VERY clear the difference between a 40d and a 400d in build and it tech

Ah, I see. Having only ever used xxxDs I don't know much about the other Canons

Thanks guys. Now I feel happy about the 800D. All I need is some funds.........................:(

If you’re used to having a camera with one wheel and no top screen, then that’s fine, but I simply would feel like I was working with a hand tied behind my back.

ATEOTD they’re tools that should fit they way you work and what job you’re doing. If you’re planning on keeping 2 bodies, it’ll help to have similar control layouts.

Back