Whats with this upsurge in analogue photography ?

I will have a go at answering the original post about why there is an upsurge in "film" photography. I think some of the main reasons are that there are still a lot of photographers that started life with film and like most of us were sweep,d up and along ten years ago with the development of the digital camera. What this has done is to make photography more accessible and less frightening to a much wider audience because the layman can shoot hundreds if not thousands of the same shot and probably get a good one.

We the photographer realising this have started to understand that the delight and thrill of photography was the decisions taken before the shutter was even released and the anticipation of waiting to see if our decisions were right. This plus the feel and touch of beautifully engineered equipment just drives us back to our roots.

That,s my take on why I do and I am sticking to it.:D;)

Probably same reason people still drive vintage cars or listen to vinyl, it's loads more fun :)
I also like to get away from the work camera and shoot pictures in a less sterile way, nothing beats a 16x20 fb print.

...and it's cheap to try something different, for your first roll of film you can get results equal (or get close) to an expensive DSLr, for as little as £20 (or less) total inc lens and camera.

Naw, to be honest John, i've been on a bit of a health kick - trying to get back into riding the bike, and needed to loose lots and lots of weight to do so... So - I'm 8 stone down from last july, and TBH, the dieting's so hard I can't face to drink back all the hard won calories :LOL:

:clap: :clap: :clap: well done that man ,keep it up mark

*Looks at the empty bottles of Neofin blue and the lines of ID-11 on the desk shiftily* :wacky:

if you are still on for London Rob ,,,i'll bring a small bag with some white stuff in it for you ( just to keep you going for the day ) :)

I'm with Freecom2 - handling an older film SLR camera is so much nicer than a new DSLR. They look so sexy! :D
Even though it takes longer, you get fewer shots, only a couple might come out... I still enjoy using my Pentax MX more than my 400D. The 400D is more useful, in many situations, but useful doesn't always equal enjoyable.

I used to like the delay and faff from film. Now I much prefer digital. One off set up cost and infinite images.

If you want some mystery then turn off the lcd review and fix your iso :)

I still have a film camera and did half a roll of film last year. Can't say it was more fun than digital at all. Maybe I'm earlier in the process as I grew up with film, used it for ages and didn't switch to a digital slr until a few years ago. I've taken more photos in those few years than I ever did on film. Maybe there will be time when I'll get bored with the ease of it and want the film shirt again...

LOMO's marketing helps too, even if it is aimed at a certain type of person, it overflows. It was definitely a big part of me getting into film. I now have a Pentax 67 sitting next to that tiny ultra-fisheye thing!

Congrats on the weight loss (y)

Should we call you TheMediumYin now?

Nope - still very much TheBigYin, though please feel free to retroactively refer to me as TheHumungousYin :LOL:

I'll let you know when I qualify as a Medium... still in XXL at the moment though :LOL: Maybe in another 5-6 stones time :eek:

Nope - still very much TheBigYin, though please feel free to retroactively refer to me as TheHumungousYin :LOL:

I'll let you know when I qualify as a Medium... still in XXL at the moment though :LOL: Maybe in another 5-6 stones time :eek:

Good work though Mark. I have gone from XXL to M and a 46inch waist to 34 in just under 2 years. More to go though! ;)

if you are still on for London Rob ,,,i'll bring a small bag with some white stuff in it for you ( just to keep you going for the day ) :)

I've got a fresh bottle of rodinal for the trip down :D

LOMO's marketing helps too, even if it is aimed at a certain type of person, it overflows. It was definitely a big part of me getting into film. I now have a Pentax 67 sitting next to that tiny ultra-fisheye thing!

I reckon it helped get the cool kids and artsy ones who weren't necessarily as into photography, interested in film because of the odd effects and weird colours...
Granted i did get quite offended when my photos were called lomo by someone on here because i messed up the development (2nd roll id ever done) and because i said i wasnt fussed about it and quite liked the images :shrug:

I simply find obtaining results from film more fun!
Digital is no doubt more convenient at times for me but I just love "developing time" ....the satisfaction of seeing an image on a physical piece of film after playing "Professor Asha" in the bathroom is just ace!

I have tried on several occasions to find like minded photographers down here who are interested in shooting film/lomo but no one appears interested....I've even offered free "lessons/ advice" and to borrow my gear!

I have come across several "collectors" like myself but they just want the cameras as show pieces .......their choice but when I receive comments of how "slow" it is to shoot film ( what they mean is there isn't an instant result!), I kinda feel like I'm a bit of an odd ball.

I think perhaps the upsurge in a return to film photography that is apparent in the UK hasn't caught on in the same way down here yet.

I need a Film / Vintage camera User companion!! lol

Good work though Mark. I have gone from XXL to M and a 46inch waist to 34 in just under 2 years. More to go though! ;)

Early stages for me, I've lost 9 lbs in the past 5 weeks down to 18st 3.5lbs but need to get at least another 2 st off.

As to film popularity I do think that the whole Holga/Lomo thing has helped and that it often leads to more sophisticated purchases down the line. For me I just think its a more rewarding process although I would never ditch digital I use it a lot less now than 12 months ago.

Andy

I ran my film cameras for quite a while,along with digtal,then when i drop my Nikon F5,i thought would go full digtal.
Held out for a bit :D,now i have got an F100 FM2 & Pentax MX,and still wondering if i should pay out the £200 for the repair cost for the F5 :)

Good on yer, I remember when I lost a load of weight when I was working abroad a few years ago with nothing better to do than spend my evenings in the gym. I came back 6 months later with a 32" waist (down from 44") but hadn't bought any new clothes so when I met up with my friends, they thought I was ill because my clothes were hanging off me :LOL: Since then I've managed to find all the weight I lost, it was in the fridge.

Returning to the film question, I wonder if there'll be another resurgence of interest due to Kodak's recent well-publicised troubles. A bit of "don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" encouraging folk to dig out an old camera and run a roll of film through it.

Maybe we should rename this the What's with this upsurge in analogue photography and downsurge in weight Thread.

I can't compete with the amazing losses with some of the folk on here but I have lost nearly 10% of my weight since the new year and like Strappy I've just started a job abroad where it's dry in more ways than one and with a bit of luck there'll be a gym and a pool to keep me busy as there's not a lot else to do.

Back to the OP I'd largely lost interest in photography, my Nikon F801 would sit for ages in the cupboard seeing very little use, I'd bought a little point and shoot digi Canon in 2003 and overall I was pretty pleased with the results but I didn't go down the DSLR route as I was still disappointed by the shutter lag on early models unless you spent a small fortune on the top of the range kit. So prior to a trip to the Yukon in 2007 I splurged out on a Nikon D80 and it's that combined with the accessibility of film kit I never could have afforded before that has re-awaked my interest in photography across the board.

Those that have seen me lug a variety of kit round London will testify to that fact, I really should learn that an RZ67 really isn't suitable for street work :LOL: I've gone from having a couple of cameras to having more than I know what to do with but they're all meant to be used they may be beautiful pieces of engineering but they're not ornaments.

I like the way using film slows me down, makes me a more considered photographer but I'm still happy to turn the DSLR up to 11, it's a different kind of freedom.

For me it has to be what I see through the viewfinder. I know I can get a full frame DSLR but I don't see the point. I have a perfectly adequate DSLR. My 'full frame' camera and three prime lenses cost about two grand less than a D700 :D

Just came across this thread & it's a real interesting & thought-provoking read.

I found analogue photography essential in learning photographic theory & exposure. I didn't properly understand exposures & various relationships with light until I studied traditional black & white photography in college. We were taught entirely in the darkroom for two years & I find that these days I still love working with film. Film cameras are marvellous, especially the traditional manual ones. I like to have control over my work & by shooting, developing & printing everything yourself with your own techniques you can properly develop a photograph with a personal touch.

I think a lot has to do with people wanting to actually experience the full photographic experience rather than using the latest gear that does everything for you.

I started out 20 odd years ago shooting gigs on film, working with 400asa Ilford film, and fixed settings of F1.8 and 30th of a second on my trusty Olympus OM40.

Coming back to it all this last year with digital, initially was a revelation and I've shot so much stuff its unreal. The feeling of just being able to shoot and shoot without any consideration to cost of processing was very liberating.

But as times gone on I've had to upgrade my computer, my monitor and now I'm wanting to upgrade to thousands of pounds worth of camera and lens to get results that in many cases are no better than what I was getting over 20 years ago with a £150 camera.

Plus the whole photoshopping thing...... dont get me started.. I shot a portrait of a girl at a gig, it was a 2 minute chance encounter, I loved the shot, put it up on here and the only comment I got was about enhancing the eyes..... NO.... thats what she looked like and thats what the camera captured.

In saying all that its probably just me, I've ditched CD and gone back to vinyl, the newest car I've own in recent years was a 1987 Sierra Cosworth and I still have a coal fire... so perhaps I'm just stuck in the past and going back to film is my destiny.

there is no such thing as ''analogue photography''

discuss

VPp2Pl.jpg

discuss

I do like the term "conventional" though. As for APUG, i've heard a lot of things said about them but whenever i've lurked they look alright. Probably one of the better places to go when you're trying to find out about old obscure processes, rather than just off the shelf film.

Perhaps 'traditional' photography is the best term?

Photo-chemical photography is probably the best term to describe because as above, photomultiplier tubes and CCD's are inherently analogue devices as ued with pre-digital TV cameras and early electronic still cameras but in a digital camera an analogue to digital converter gives a digital readout from the analogue data.

This was discussed a bit in this thread here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=383732

I personally prefer using film for several reasons, I find it more enjoyable, particularly not quite knowing what I've got or how good it is and that anticipation of processing it or getting it back from the lab. Plus the cameras, accessories and lenses are cheaper than with digital even when you factor in the film and processing costs. Plus I've never particularly liked doing processing on a computer very much and I like the way that every film type is slightly different to another so you have to make a personal choice as to which you want to use.

My film cameras only had a couple of rolls through them last year, so one of my goals for this year is to shoot a lot more. So far, I've failed to shoot anything at all (despite buying a decent stock of colour and black and white), although I've barely used my digital gear either. Still, with the days getting longer, and the never ending series of illnesses we've been having in my family of late subsiding, I'll hopefully start using all my gear more.
Why do I still use film? Well I find I end up with a greater percentage of keepers per roll than digital for some reason, and I enjoy the challenge of the limitations imposed on me using film.

My film cameras only had a couple of rolls through them last year, so one of my goals for this year is to shoot a lot more. So far, I've failed to shoot anything at all (despite buying a decent stock of colour and black and white), although I've barely used my digital gear either. Still, with the days getting longer, and the never ending series of illnesses we've been having in my family of late subsiding, I'll hopefully start using all my gear more.
Why do I still use film? Well I find I end up with a greater percentage of keepers per roll than digital for some reason, and I enjoy the challenge of the limitations imposed on me using film.

Admittedly we are into week 10...in fact possibly 11 even on the Film 52 challenges but it's not too late to join us if you wish.
May just be the push you need to get out and shoot that film!

Back