whats wrong with this moon shot, and howe do I get it better?

Edit My Images
No
P9150451.jpg

Taken with an Olympus EM1, on a tripod with a 300mm lens. Well cropped I have to say, it is just so mushy in the middle. Focus should have been good, as craters on the edge are sharp.

THe vibration thingy on the cameras is switched OFF as on a tripod. Nice clear night

F22,ISO 1600, 1/250 second.

Good camera, good lens (just serviced by Olympus) but a not so good photo, certainly compared with some of the Canon/Nikon shots shown on this forum.

Can't really see what I can do to improve this photo.

I sometime photo the moon with my 8" scope, detail is much much better, so maybe its just the degree of magnification is the problem

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mj

F/22 is too small for the sensor, and ISO 1600 is too high. Try f/8 and 200. I'm guessing it's also a pretty good crop which doesn't help. Of course there is tripod/technique considerations as well...

Last edited:
First i would have thought no need too use F22,it will be way past the best aperture for your lens,will admit ime no expert but i would try f5.6 or f8 then drop your iso well down,

Must type quicker

Why did you choose f22 and 1600? On a tripod it isn't necessary to go that high and it is rarely a good idea to go to that small an aperture for anything....also, make sure you use either a remote/cable release and 'mirror up' mode or use the timer (5 seconds is better than 2) as any slight vibrations at 300mm will also blur the details.

And it looks soft everywhere to me, not just in the midle, but that might just be a posting thing. I'd try a bigger aperture/lower iso. Depth of field isn't really an issue at that distance..........

P9150451 (Large).JPG

Thanks for that. Not sure why I used f22, just so bright I guess. The focus should not be an issue for a change as the Oly can se the focus to infinity just by switching the camera off and on.

I normally use the 12 second delay to stop vibration, but the image still looks though it has some vibration coming from somewhere.

Original unprocessed image as below, it is a large crop anyway..............

Again thanks for pointers............

Back