Whats wrong?

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, posted this for the comp and didn't get any votes, I was just wondering if there was anything i could have done to make it better?

Thanks as always

2.jpg

I should say i added the radial blur for wheels and gausian blur for the background to give the sense of motion.

there's nothing wrong with it at all, I guess it was more to do with the fact that we could only do one vote in the comp...the panning looks good too, never got to grips with this sort of photography myself :)

Marianne said:
there's nothing wrong with it at all, I guess it was more to do with the fact that we could only do one vote in the comp...the panning looks good too, never got to grips with this sort of photography myself :)

Only thing I would add is generally you should have more space in the front of the object , it lets you imagine that's where it's moving to.

//quick bodge//

2.jpg

Ps I got no votes either :crying:

Nothing wrong with the shot at all. I think with the theme for the last round you just had to think a bit more out of the box. There were some great action shots taken where the subject was frozen, but that doesn't necessarily convey movement like a bit of blurring.

The standard was very high and some technically excellent shots got few or no votes, so don't reproach yourself... the shot is good. :)

Cool thanks guys, points taken onboard, I agree with you fully.
Now you say it, I did notice that a few similarly themed pics to mine in terms of motorsport got lower votes than the 'unusual shots' this round so will maybe try something different next time, it is always good to develop and see things in a different way. I have to admit i voted for the winner too.

It looks like a great shot to me.
But I suppose it depends on the strength of the competing shots - the only comments I would make (and I'm not saying I could do better :) ), is that the fence / heads at the bottom of the shot are distracting and could maybe be cropped/cloned out, plus there seems to be some kind of strange 'blur' or distortion on the road surface infront of the RHS headlight and on the leading edge of the windscreen and rear spoiler. Maybe a result of the gausian blur you did on the pic ??? :)
I think the angle of the shot and the cars' position in the photo are great.

I tried a similar thing with a shot I took at Silverstone last year and know how difficult it is !:thinking: . I wanted to increase the sense of speed, so added some blur to the background. I was quite pleased with it at the time but when I look at it now I see I should have blurred the wheels a bit aswell because the extra blur of the background does'nt match the lesser blur on the wheels :bang: . Oh well, I'll have to have another go. :)
Porsche-at-Silverstone-2005.jpg

Rich (y)

Yeah i think you are right rick, think it must be from the blur applied. Like your shot BTW

I had a go. I used a high contrast curve to bring out the colours a bit, then upped the shadows by about 50%, hightlight to 20% as this eeked out the detail on the motor, especially the wheels, look at the central nut. Then burnt the car itself back on the mids by about 30 to drop the over exposure caused by the sun on it -gives it a nice sheen too. Then dropped the brightness to compensate. Tighter crop, cloned the crap at the bottom.

Hope it works :)

Looks good Diego, i like the saturation of the colours, thanks for taking the time all of you.

diegos edit is the most effective, even if the colours where rolled back a little it would still have a lot going for it, the original shot, although its a good example of panning, has a few minor distractions in it, such as the heads/fence bottom left and the car is smack in the middle of the frame, bit of cropping cures that though, and its all part of the learning curve.
the panning is excellent though, a very good technique

There's nothing wrong with the shot.

I wouldn't have voted for that in a competition though - reason being, we see shots like that every day on here (at this time of year, at least).

Agreed - it's technically OK but it's been done to death a million times. Try to think of a new angle to bring on the subject matter. Focus on details rather than the 'big picture' to tell the story.
Maybe get in the pits and shoot some of the background activity instead?

Excellent advice from you guys as always, many thanks. Certainly gets the grey cells going.

Arkady said:
*snip*
Maybe get in the pits and shoot some of the background activity instead?

Nooo , don't do that , it's a waste of time :shake:

Actually thats what I'm concentrating on now (y) .

After reviewing a couple of hundred essentially identical car/bike panning shots from my visits to Silverstone/Snetterton I realised that the only shots which were different/stood out were People :)

LOL, Yeah halo is from blur, am learning CS2 fast to combat that! I left the people and fence in because i thought it added a different dimension, but equally i can see now it's much better without, I should have cropped and tried both options, think i would have prob used a different pic or the cropped version had i done so.

Back