What's your fabourite lens?

If I could only have 1 lens from my current lineup it would be the 50mm f/1.4 (on FF).

That said, my favourite lens is my 16-35 f/4.

simonblue said:
Don't really have a fav lens,just grab any lens I might want to take with me.

All the the lens I have got are very good :)

Share the info...:)

It has got to be the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR 2. It really is a cracking lens.
The lens I probably use the most is the Nikkor 18-200 VR1. It is really good for every day use when I am just out and about taking general photos with a crop body.

I have a 500mm FD reflex lens that's my favourite. It seems to be regarded with a bit of suspicion by many photography fans but I love the reach it can manage, the portability and the images.

I have been tempted by one of those, and the Tamron SP 500/8 on quite a few occasions. Rally intrigued how it handles compared with, say the FD 300mm f/4.

For 35mm film and also on m4/3, I'll reach first for my FDn 50mm f/1.4. Compact and sharp as a sharp thing. I'm convinced it out performs the EF version by quite a large margin.

Canon EF - I have a love-hate relationship with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk 1. I love what it does, but hate the bulk and weight.

Tugster said:
Both my work horse lenses are the Canon 24-70 and the 70-200IS MK2

Plus 1 on those. When I go full frame I will replace my 17-55 for a (I think) 24-70. Although I hate to give up my 17-55 and am a bit worried about loosing the focal length with the 24-70 on full frame. My 70-200 mrk2 is going no where... ;)

to me that question is like "What's your favourite record"?
It depends what mood i'm in or what i want from a particular lens!
I love the build quality and results from my Canon 24-105L, but i don't use it half as much as the lens i bought it to replace (17-85mm f4).
I love my Sigma 30mm f1.4 for it's sharpness and bokeh, and i just love playing around with my 100mm f2.8 canon macro.
The lens that i love the most, and is on my camera the most though is probably my 10-20mm sigma f4-5.6
i s'pose i'm just addicted to landscapes!!;)

It used to be my nikon 50mm f1.8 as I uses it 90% of the time. Now I mainly use the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which I love.

But my fave lens has to be the Samyang 85mm f1.4 manual focus. Nothing in my bag compares to some of the images I get with it.

S

It used to be my nikon 50mm f1.8 as I uses it 90% of the time. Now I mainly use the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which I love.

But my fave lens has to be the Samyang 85mm f1.4 manual focus. Nothing in my bag compares to some of the images I get with it.

S

Do you find the Tamron much better then?

24-70f2.8L as it earns most of the money
85mm f1.4 as it does lovely things to whatever I point it at

I would say my Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's such a great focal length and weight on FF. It's pretty sharp wide open and very sharp stopped down.

Also like my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 but the weight of the 85mm means I go to it more often now. Very happy chappy since going FF :)

samems said:
Do you find the Tamron much better then?

It's just a good versatile sharp lens. Don't get me wrong, the 50 f1.8d is awesome but sometimes I needed more room. The non vc tamron is a great, value for money, walkaround lens.

I just love the Samyang though. It can be a tad frustrating using mf with the kids but boy (IMHO) is it worth it!

S

I'm not sure if it's my favourite but my Sigma 150-500 OS gets the most use. I use the lens for my favourite type of photography (aviation and wildlife) though, but I really don't have a 'favourite' lens.

Sony 70-200/2.8 G, use that one so much ...
Also the Zeiss ZA 135/1.8, even though I rarely use it, it's just too nice to part with.

My clear favourite is the Nikon AFS 35mm f1.4.

Perfect focal length for almost everything, focuses very close, sharp wide open, solid build and works beautifully as a pair with the AFS 85mm f1.4.

iamchrisphoto said:
My clear favourite is the Nikon AFS 35mm f1.4.

Perfect focal length for almost everything, focuses very close, sharp wide open, solid build and works beautifully as a pair with the AFS 85mm f1.4.

Yep, mine too

On digital my 100-400L and sigma 150mm macro have both been superb, but the lens I've enjoyed shooting with the most is the Pentax 50mm f/1.7 on a Pentax MX because of it's great compact size combination and smooth dampened MF.

My most used lens is easily my 24-70L and it gives me superb results every time. However, the lens that always makes me smile when I review the pictures afterwards is the Canon 50 1.4, I really need to use this lens more!!!

It was my Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.4 but since getting the Nikon 17-55mm it doesn't get as much use as it deserves!

My Sigma 85mm is always on my camera but this could change when I get the Carl Zeiss 135mm 1.8....need a 35mm as well at some point.

My Sigma 85mm is always on my camera but this could change when I get the Carl Zeiss 135mm 1.8....need a 35mm as well at some point.

The Minolta / Sony 35/1.4 G is rather good. Soft at f/1.4 though.

Sony 70-400 G SSM
Very sharp & very flexible.

+1 - far superior in every way to the equivalent Canikon lenses - IQ is simply stunning at all lengths and throughout the F range.

Nikon 70-200 VRll is definitely my favourite, closely followed by the 85 1.4 and the 24-120 f4 is getting a lot of use as a walkabout lens.

Toss up between my nikon 17-55 or 70-200 vr1 + 1.7 TC. Having said that, my 105 vr macro never fails to impress me :thinking:. Think their all my favourites really :)

Although not my most used lens I absolutely love the DA* 50-135. The IQ is fantastic touching if not surpassing prime Ltd levels and has really nice bokeh. Helps that it balances very well on the K-5 has dead on even if slow focus and it feels really well made.

It might be just the fact that I like that range on a lens though as the 50-150 Sigma was close second to my 35mm 1.8 when I had a Nikon setup.

Last edited:
Nikon 18 - 200mm.
I call it my Marriage Saver. I have lenses that take technically better pictures but I know I can go out with my Mrs and I can take whatever shots I like and it 90% has the range to get what I want.
Avoiding the look I get when I say 'I'm just gonna take a few shots with another lens' is priceless!

Current favourite is my Tamron 18-200mm F3.5/6.3 aspherical. A great little walkabout lens, however it may soon be outdone by the sigma 170-500mm APO that's arriving tomorrow!

drexyl said:
600mm f4 i.s. for all the same reasons. :)

500 f4 is for me too! Been very lucky too have been lent this lens from a very good friend! Who has been posted away!

Back