What's your favourite bird ?

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm perhaps limiting responses by posting in the 'bird' forum but I wasn't sure where else to pop it.

By all means post your pictures as I'd love some inspiration but otherwise - just share your thoughts on what birds you consider to be your favourites and why ?

Last edited:
It's clichéd, but for me it's the Peregrine.

They were fairly rare when I was young, and I still get a thrill from seeing them now.

I can remember their return to the White Cliffs being announced for the first time since WWII, and the look on the Colonel's face of pure joy as he passed on the news. He'd been the one who'd overseen their destruction 40 years earlier.

Barn Owl. I love these birds, and the fact that its often late on in the day when they are seen adds an air of mystery to them. A ghostly white vision drifting across a meadow at twilight is the perfect end to a day for me

108845723.jpg

Anything but bloody Robins and Mute Swans (photographically that is).:shake::shake:

Dipper

White Tailed Sea Eagle

Red Kites

Bearded Tits

Puffins

Gannets

Just a few of my favourites but to be honest even the humble starling i enjoy photographing. For me when i am out in the field with any form of wildlife im in my element and it's interesting catching little glimpses and insights into their lives. The dipper for it's energy, the sea eagle for it's sheer grace, Red kites for there recovery, Bearded Tits for their looks, Puffins for their Charlie Chaplin antics and Gannets for their awful landings but close family bonds

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
I like them all really but I love warblers, especially Sylvia warblers - they've got so much character. :wave:

Whitethroat:
1whitethroat3gimp.jpg

Dartford Warbler:
1dartfordwarbler1.jpg

Last edited:
Roast Chicken!! :nuts:

Osprey first but not far behind the Sea eagles and kingfishers, also the Puffins
since it asks for fav here a pic

I like the simple things! The wee Coal tit has to be high up my list.

Thanks for all the responses and pics folks (serious or silly) - taken me a while to get back to thist thread.

My favourites......

Robins & Wrens: the two birds that stand out from being shown them as a kid - love their 'attitude'.

Eagles: Again - From childhood on Skye - having Golden Eagles pointed out was always special and to this day it's always a magic moment. More recently the re-introduction of White Tailed Sea Eagles has allowed me to to see them from garden which is great.

Top of the list for me though has to be the Osprey.

Last edited:
Never thought about that before and don't have a favourite.

I'm not sure I have an out and out favourite, they're all fantastic in their own way, but I do have a fondness for the tiny little ones - Wren, Goldcrest, Firecest. :love:

Back