What's your opinion on people who are continuing to do photoshoots during lockdown

Well you can do a family shoots if you live with your family but in the UK the rules prevent you mixing with other folk and that's about it. Anything else is done at ones own risk both medicinally and legally. Personally, I am keeping away from everybody, it's enough that my wife cleans a COVID room, without getting near any other people.

Well, let's see...

Living in a country with potentially the most virulent and deadly strain of a virus that has caused a global pandemic, exactly how sensible do you think it is to go wandering around other people's houses?

Whether it's in someones home or in your own photography studio.. no..at the moment indoor portrait photography is banned(up here in Scotland anyway) suppose it's the same south of the border.. it's currently not allowed end of.. under tier 3 or 4..we will have to fall to tier 2 again before it's allowed to take place..except if you are attending a wedding on a working professional basis..

Last edited:
If they are social distancing outdoors and both parties are happy to do it then let them work away . Maybe the financial help they have received from the government is so pathetic they feel this is their only option to keep their home or feed their kids . I'm a professional photographer with 3 kids and the sole earner and although I'm many months in arrears with my mortgage and building up debt by the day I haven't felt the need to risk a shoot but if I did , I would .

Irresponsible, however he government needs to help people with the loss of income so they can obey the rules. If we had pulled up the drawbridge on the borders enforced a strict lockdown at the beginning like New Zealand, then perhaps we might be in their present position, crowds out in the sun (Ok it's winter here) mixing and enjoying the freedom. The problem is choices were made to try and keep the economy going, a mistake you couldn't do both, in fact you still can't. Total isolation for two weeks, no contact whatever, no schools, building sites etc then those infected dealt with the rest who are clear can then resume life. Strict control on borders to ensure it doesn't come back in. a short painful period but better than long drawn out rather ineffective measures.

Irresponsible, however he government needs to help people with the loss of income so they can obey the rules.

eeerm they did didn't they?

There have been a lot of complaints about how the government have handled this but the fact is, nobody knew what to do. Every country in the world has had their own thoughts as to what to do to limit the spread of COVID-19 and every country in the world apart from one, has failed. The only reasons New Zealand did so well is that there is hardly anyone there, it's not on the way to anywhere and it's in the middle of nowhere. The UK is a centre of international travel and trade, shutting all borders immediately would have meant more financial problems than we are having now and in the end wouldn't have helped anyway. We are a stubborn people and if we are told not to do something that's the very first thing some people will try to do. It's like saying DO NOT PRESS THIS RED BUTTON. Equally, we are packed in tight over here, there are 68 million people in an area 1/3 the size of Texas, our cities are over-populated and some family ethos in some areas is to have perhaps 10 or 15 people in the same dwelling. It is hardly surprising we are highly infected as a nation.

Most people have been compensated in some ways for having their workplaces closed but in any crisis there will be some who fall through the cracks, it's unfortunate but it happens. In any event, this series of lockdown/furlough episodes cannot continue indefinitely, the country is haemorrhaging money. My own wife was furloughed for six months then they laid her off permanently from her office job. Within three weeks she had four jobs cleaning and has got her hours back up to 35 a week, so there is work out there if one is prepared to do it and that is what people will eventually have to do, like they did when the mines closed and the steelworks closed.

The airline and travel industries are claiming special help because they have been so badly affected, well, suck it up baby because this is the way it is now. Things have been irrevocably changed, things will not get back to 'normal', ever. This virus will never go away and we just have to live with it the same as we live with typhoid, diphtheria, polio, malaria, et al. The sooner we accept things the way they are going to be the better we will all be. It's a good job WW2 isn't happening now because we would have fallen to the Nazis within minutes of the outbreak of war all the while complaining about how unfair it all was.

Rant over.

Sorry OP, this particular rant has nothing to do with your original post.

Last edited:
Outdoors, yes I don't see an issue there as long as everyone are sensible and following rules.

Indoors studio shoot..... Hmm.... No I don't think so. But then again, if they are 'working' and following rules etc

There have been a lot of complaints about how the government have handled this but the fact is, nobody knew what to do.

-snip stuff.

Sorry OP, this particular rant has nothing to do with your original post.

No it doesn't, and it is wrong. Doing things three weeks late every time is not helping us get back to work.

and no, we can’t work at the moment, unless in our domestic bubble. Photography is not an essential service.

Neither of those situations would comply with the current legislation unless commercial shoots.

I'd imagine quite a few people/jobs don't comply with current legislation. I know we don't...... They are working outdoors. They can't work from home. They are socially distanced. They need to make a living and earn a wage.

My opinion - they shouldn't be doing it and are stupid if they are on several levels.

If you consider how stupid the average person is, consider that half the people are more stupid than that.

I'd imagine quite a few people/jobs don't comply with current legislation. I know we don't...... They are working outdoors. They can't work from home. They are socially distanced. They need to make a living and earn a wage.

If they are not an essential service they shouldn't be doing it.

I think it's irresponsible. However if that sort of photography is their job, I can't find anything in the guidance suggesting it's 'against the rules' that the government, in its wisdom, has put in place.

They shouldn't be government advice is very clear, it is not allowed under current restrictions. Read the last paragraph. While this relates to England the same thing applies in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. At the moment only wedding (which has its own restrictions) and commercial photography is allowed professionally.

142942337_10164817682190165_5350302110434175536_o.jpg

Last edited:
I thought you should work from home where possible? If not, follow guidelines to work safely.

YouTube people are still going out making vlogs aren't they?

Read the letter I posted above.

For portraits the law says you are only allowed to leave home for essential purchases, photography services is not included.

Photographers can leave home if they need to for work which allows still the option of wedding and commercial photography but not portraits, family sessions etc.

I thought you should work from home where possible? If not, follow guidelines to work safely.

So are burglars, drug dealers etc....

So Joe Vloggs is still going out and that means you think it's ok?

So are burglars, drug dealers etc....
Exactly.

Read the letter I posted above.

For portraits the law says you are only allowed to leave home for essential purchases, photography services is not included.

Photographers can leave home if they need to for work which allows still the option of wedding and commercial photography but not portraits, family sessions etc.

This isn't about the law. It's about opinions. In my opinion, there's nothing unsafe about doing photography outdoors in a safe way.

Yes. I think it's okay for photographers to still continue working if they are being safe especially outdoors.

I think the point is that it's ok for the photographer to be out photographing but not the family. They should only be going out when it's essential or for exercise (locally). Having your photograph taken is neither of those.

They shouldn't be government advice is very clear, it is not allowed under current restrictions. Read the last paragraph. While this relates to England the same thing applies in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. At the moment only wedding (which has its own restrictions) and commercial photography is allowed professionally.

View attachment 306804

I think your confusing the last paragraph with photogrpahers.. the last paragraph is for the customer... the photographer is allowed to work outside home for any photo shoot if its work... as per next to last paragraph

Last edited:
I wonder if even shooting wildlife is safe, bearing in mind the original virus jumped from animal to human population, do we want to take the risk of passing this to the wildlife population and creating a reservoir of infection for the future. Just think infection on some peanuts used to entice a subject, then BAM

Last edited:
I think the point is that it's ok for the photographer to be out photographing but not the family. They should only be going out when it's essential or for exercise (locally). Having your photograph taken is neither of those.

My apologies everyone.

I misread the op/title.

I thought it was opinions ON photography for a working professional not "people who are still currently doing photoshoots against guidance"

In the latter, I do agree they shouldn't be if it's in law and guidance.

I do also think (personally) people should work if it's safe to do so though.

I wonder if even shooting wildlife is safe, bearing in mind the original virus jumped from animal to human population, do we want to take the risk of passing this to the wildlife population and creating a reservoir of infection for the future. Just think infection on some peanuts used to entice a subject, then BAM

If that where possible then I htink its far too late to worry about it and given the amount of wildlife not even countryside its impossible to stop.. think pets? pigeons? seagulls? ants and on and on

If they are not an essential service they shouldn't be doing it.

i will be photogrpahing an u18 football match this saturday morning.. I doubt its essential on any level... but for me its how i earn a living its my job and i cant do it from home... so..

i will be photogrpahing an u18 football match this saturday morning.. I doubt its essential on any level... but for me its how i earn a living its my job and i cant do it from home... so..

Don't even get me started on sports and how everyone and their aunt seems to think its so important to carry on in a global pandemic :rolleyes:

Well the joiner wants to come and hang some internal doors. As I understand, this is legal.
However, I won't let him come. He is 67 and I am nearly 68. Neither of us have been vaccinated.
I actually can't believe he wants to do this as he has told me several times he can afford to retire anytime he likes.

If that where possible then I htink its far too late to worry about it and given the amount of wildlife not even countryside its impossible to stop.. think pets? pigeons? seagulls? ants and on and on
Wasn’t there reports early on of pet cats and dogs catching it ?

I'm talking family shoots and stuff like that
The way I read things, if you're out for excercise as a family and you stop walking to rest and admire the scenery, there's nothing wrong with one of you taking a picture.

If a family goes out to meet a photographer, in order to have a picture taken, then the photographer is both morally and legally in the right but the family is quite wrong.

Of course, other opinions are available. :naughty:

Back