Beginner what's your opinion on these images?

do you like the image's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
let me know how i can improve my image's and let me know if you like them or not

please go easy on me I've only been doing photog for about 6 months
im also half wat thro getting my gsce in photography.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

im using lightroom

Your 2nd image has more interest Alex, as there's an obvious subject for the viewer to look at. It would probably work in black and white too.
yeah I printed it in b+w on luster paper and it looks great my printer the pro-10s has 3 shades of grey and black

OK, this is intended to be helpful, rather than critical.

Image 1 - There's nothing in the image of interest, and the abstract pattern is not enough on its own to keep attention. Also nothing seems in focus, which is not always a problem for an 'art' shot, but in this case it does not help the viewer to find a subject that they can concentrate on. Colours are too saturated and colour balance too blue, making it look un-natural and odd.

Image 2 - Much better in terms of having a subject - now we have a reason to photograph a big puddle! The silhouetting is good, but if he had been just a little further ahead or you had been lower then the rider would have better separated from the clutter at the sides. Colours still a bit too saturated, but colour balance is better. This image also lacks a sense of sharpness - have you added any sharpening or clarity in Lightroom?

OK, this is intended to be helpful, rather than critical.

Image 1 - There's nothing in the image of interest, and the abstract pattern is not enough on its own to keep attention. Also nothing seems in focus, which is not always a problem for an 'art' shot, but in this case it does not help the viewer to find a subject that they can concentrate on. Colours are too saturated and colour balance too blue, making it look un-natural and odd.

Image 2 - Much better in terms of having a subject - now we have a reason to photograph a big puddle! The silhouetting is good, but if he had been just a little further ahead or you had been lower then the rider would have better separated from the clutter at the sides. Colours still a bit too saturated, but colour balance is better. This image also lacks a sense of sharpness - have you added any sharpening or clarity in Lightroom?

thanks for your freed back!
I did add a little clarity in Lightroom, I didn't add any sharpening as it started looking grainy and I didn't know why I simply put it down to my lens being oily from lending it to a friend.

thanks for your freed back!
I did add a little clarity in Lightroom, I didn't add any sharpening as it started looking grainy and I didn't know why I simply put it down to my lens being oily from lending it to a friend.

'Graininess' with digital cameras is called noise, unless you add in artificial grain when processing. Noise is usually a problem when the sensitivity (ISO) used is nearing the sensors limit, and lightroom has a slider in the detail section that will allow you to reduce noise (some detail may be lost at the same time). If the lens was oily then that may have caused reduced sharpness.

Were these processed in raw format or as jpg files? There is less latitude to make changes with jpg files.

yeah, i shoot raw, and I think it was iso 300 but on an older camera like mine, the Canon Eos 700d iso 300 looks as clean as iso 1600 on a canon 5d mk3. so noise is difficult but should be manageable. you mentioned a lightroom and the detail slider. I've played and experimented with the slider. sharpness now looks better and the image looks way less noisy than before. my mate on facebook pointed out there's a purple spot on the image where the water ripples. I've since fixed that in Lightroom. I've also lowered the saturation. ill post the new image in 10 minutes.

here's the updated image less saturated, sharpened and noise reduction.

Attachments

• 12345678.JPG
    12345678.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 18
yeah, i shoot raw, and I think it was iso 300 but on an older camera like mine, the Canon Eos 700d iso 300 looks as clean as iso 1600 on a canon 5d mk3. so noise is difficult but should be manageable. you mentioned a lightroom and the detail slider. I've played and experimented with the slider. sharpness now looks better and the image looks way less noisy than before. my mate on facebook pointed out there's a purple spot on the image where the water ripples. I've since fixed that in Lightroom. I've also lowered the saturation. ill post the new image in 10 minutes.

A quick question if I can - do YOU prefer the adjusted image, or have you 'fixed' it because of what I suggested but really prefer the original version? A slightly difficult thing for photographers is that we end up creating images for other people instead of for ourselves, because we've been told is right or good. Sometimes you need to do things the way you LIKE it, even when it's technically wrong.

A quick question if I can - do YOU prefer the adjusted image, or have you 'fixed' it because of what I suggested but really prefer the original version? A slightly difficult thing for photographers is that we end up creating images for other people instead of for ourselves, because we've been told is right or good. Sometimes you need to do things the way you LIKE it, even when it's technically wrong.

yeah in a way I have adjusted it because you said so I also made my own decisions and adjusted it to a level I wanted. but i was looking for feedback on what people like and don't like. and your right some photographers do end up making images for other people. and I want to be creative in my own ways and make images I like as a photographer. but I also want to make images that other people like so they can be sold etc... if you understand where im coming from? i need my monitor calibrated so ill be looking to celebrate that soon so my images look the same as what i print. I'd also want to be printing and selling some of my photos for family and friends and maybe do portraits for people in the way that they want it as it would be their photo. whereas if it was one of my photos id make it the way i want it but ill be open to suggestion and feedback.

i think the adjusted image looks better because there's no purple tint in the ripples of the water. if there's one thing i would still change it would be to have more surroundings in the photo and the subject in the centre or centre high.

Back