What's your views on filters?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Edit: this might have been better in lenses and accessories

I've been looking for filters in advance of receiving my new toy and was just wondering what people think about filters. Are the more expensive multicoated worth the additional cost or is it just a bit of glass keeping the front element safe? Or do you even bother with one?

The only filter I have spent a bit on is a decent Polarisor, other filters I have are neutral density, Gradual grey & blue, and finally a few UV filters fitted on each lens al the time, not 100% sure that the UV filters do anything, but they are cheap, and they protect the glass.

Jessops polarisor got great reviews in a photo mag when compared to stupidly priced versions

I moved it for ya!

Well having humped loads of filters around in the past, I'm not really a fan of them these days. Most things can now be done in PS anyway. I'd certainly advocate a polarizer and perhaps neutral density filters though. I always think that if you're going to stick a bit of glass in front of a very expensive lens, then it makes sense to get the best - or at least the best you can afford.

I stick a Skylight 1B on the front of every lens, only reason is to protect the more expensive glass behind !

I bought a Jessops circular polariser a couple weeks ago, £24.99 i think it was 58mm, wasnt going to spend a fortune on one just yet, but got it to have a play with !

I am considering a ND filter as well !

CT said:
I moved it for ya!

Ta :)

CT said:
Well having humped loads of filters around in the past, I'm not really a fan of them these days. Most things can now be done in PS anyway. I'd certainly advocate a polarizer and perhaps neutral density filters though. I always think that if you're going to stick a bit of glass in front of a very expensive lens, then it makes sense to get the best - or at least the best you can afford.

I suppose that really sums up what I'm thinking at the moment. Polariser is a no brainer, ND is useful. Grads can be useful but I prefer the Cokin set up if I need one. Like Liberalis I honestly can't detect what the UV filters do apart from lens protection. Just something else to clean.

Skylight (UV) filters don't to anything other than protect your lens. Any decent multi coated lens is corrected for UV anyway. I haven't even used UV filters for yonks, although I dont blame anyone who does - i'm just very careful. If you're going to stick a UV filter on the front of your lens, it's such a big area capable of catching stray light and causing flare, even with a lenshood, which is really essential anyway with a filter fitted.

CT said:
Skylight (UV) filters don't to anything other than protect your lens. Any decent multi coated lens is corrected for UV anyway. I haven't even used UV filters for yonks, although I dont blame anyone who does - i'm just very careful. If you're going to stick a UV filter on the front of your lens, it's such a big area capable of catching stray light and causing flare, even with a lenshood, which is really essential anyway with a filter fitted.

Yep, lol would agree with you !

Only reason i do it nowadays is because a VERY long time ago, someone told me it was a good idea to protect the lens, i dont expect it to do anything but that ! lol

Mind you i am older and more cautious now ;) so maybe it isnt so necessary ! LOL

I have never owned filters other than Skylight (UV) Until now that is !

:LOL: :shock:

It depends what sort of conditions you're shooting in Ian. If you're out in the rain, assuming you have a sealed camera such as the 1DS (The 20D definitely isn't sealed) then a UV filter can give protection from water getting past the front lens element, assuming again that the lens body is sealed - some are, some aren't. Me - I'd sooner keep the kit dry! :LOL:

i bought a tiffen set from 7dayshop, Poloriser, Skylight and something else i cant recall for £17....bargain

I have UV filters on all my lenses just for protection, I also have polarizing filters in all sizes to suit my lenses and a couple of neutral density (ND) filters. I also have a full set of Neutral graduated filters and a couple of coloured grads to fit my Cokin P series system; this allows them to work with all my lenses in many combinations.

The UV filters I regard as essential as the cost to replace them is insignificant compared to cost of replacing a lens if one should get damaged but as already been said buy the best you can afford as any glass you put in front of your lens will degrade the image quality to some extent.

The polarizers are also important as I shoot outside a lot and if the sun should show itself they get used instantly. I also use the grads to hold back the skies and balance my exposures when photographing landscapes. This can now be done in Photoshop if you shoot raw or do two exposures as can adding in grads, so these I would no longer regard as essential.

Back