When all doesn't go to plan (final image added)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I posted this elsewhere and due to some dialogue, thought it better placed here. I don't look in here like I used to and haven't really done anything of late worthy enough, but there will always be newcomers and I learnt so much off here early on that I'll post this. I'm a little rusty!

So, have been meaning to get the home studio kit out now that the better weather is behind us and also thinking about a xmas card this year, with my two girls as the models. Unfortunately, although I played very patient, the little one was just too tired and not wanting to play ball. This particular shot was literally the only one relatively useable in terms of the expression, but was far from ideal as they weren't positioned properly for the fall-off that I wanted. And so thankfully, PS rescued it a little, but not how I would have wanted. We shall have another go and time things better.

37641724605_6e531401c8_b.jpg

And here's the SOOC to show the problem with the light fall-off. I also cut a little too much off the bottom and mum doesn't like how tightly big sis has tied the hat on. Next time....

Here's an out take where only a bottle soothed her a bit. Had to faff with her blotchy skin tones here as she'd been crying. Good practice, but never ideal. Hand editing isn't my strongest point and consistency isn't perfect.

37641724925_02d24ebe2d_b.jpg

Why are they both wearing hats and dressed for winter...is there no heating in your studio...? I quite like the shot with the bottle..looks more natural of the little un..

Why are they both wearing hats and dressed for winter...is there no heating in your studio...? I quite like the shot with the bottle..looks more natural of the little un..

As in, "and also thinking about a xmas card this year, with my two girls as the models." Just trying these outfits out and was thinking of overlaying with something.. but I was not really convinced with the shoulder hole (she dressed herself)

PS. my studio is my living room

I'm in the process of buying a small home studio lighting/ backdrop set up to photograph my two girls and found your sooc photograph really interesting, it's very informative to see the before and after.

I'm in the process of buying a small home studio lighting/ backdrop set up to photograph my two girls and found your sooc photograph really interesting, it's very informative to see the before and after.

That's what it should all be about Esther. Have a trawl back through the searches and you'll find some good informative posts with pull back shots etc. It's a really fun thing to learn, which continues to keep me interested. Just be warned, it's addictive and can put a strain on your pocket this photography malarkey.

This isn’t a criticism of Kris, but when shooting with studio lights I’d expect the sooc image to be about right.

I might have the corner of the softbox to clone out, but I wouldn’t expect to have to do that much shadow recovery or background creation. 10 minutes extra spent on the setup saves hours sat in front of the computer later.

But I just might be old fashioned.

That's what it should all be about Esther. Have a trawl back through the searches and you'll find some good informative posts with pull back shots etc. It's a really fun thing to learn, which continues to keep me interested. Just be warned, it's addictive and can put a strain on your pocket this photography malarkey.
I think you’ve done a great job of capturing the expressions Kris, but your light was a little too far round to the right and the original is a stop underexposed.

Every day’s a school day though and I’m sure the second attempt will be easier for you in post.

This isn’t a criticism of Kris, but when shooting with studio lights I’d expect the sooc image to be about right.

I might have the corner of the softbox to clone out, but I wouldn’t expect to have to do that much shadow recovery or background creation. 10 minutes extra spent on the setup saves hours sat in front of the computer later.

But I just might be old fashioned.

Me too. A good 50%+ of my post work is spent on background tidying, extension or whatever but I wouldn't expect to do anything like that much by way of exposure adjustments.

Hi Kris.

Great little post this. Thanks for sharing. I find the top image real nice, granted the tight fitting hat is a bit dodgy. Also agree with the above comment regarding a natural feel to the bottle image.
Top marks for putting up the sooc, whats a stop between friends :)

Gaz

Hi Kris.

Great little post this. Thanks for sharing. I find the top image real nice, granted the tight fitting hat is a bit dodgy. Also agree with the above comment regarding a natural feel to the bottle image.
Top marks for putting up the sooc, whats a stop between friends :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. The exposure is actually bang on, the whites of the bobble and the jumper are just clipping, it’s just the soft box wasn’t wrapping round as it should, they needed to be a step backwards. I completely
agree that with a studio shot, where you are in
complete control of the lighting, should have minimal PP to do. This was extreme, and happened as a result of what I mentioned. Through the mini session being a failure, I decided to try and recover this one, it wouldn’t have been picked at all if I had what I wanted from the shoot.

Thought it worth sharing as it’s not ideal at all, but with quite a bit of PP I’ve rescued something.

It should serve as a reminder that with young children patience and timing are key. I rushed this as we were busy in the morning and so I set up with half an hour to get one shot, before going out. She was just too tired and all distractions failed. We’ll have another go at the weekend, I’ll take a lesson out of this one.

Last edited:
So after throwing a mug of tea all over my MacBook, I’ve really had to improvise to get a shot done for a xmas card. Not processed with a calibrated screen but looks ok on my devices, here’s the girls final shot (which had minimal PP as it
should be)

38107803994_53f6d21ee5_b.jpg
Adorable :).

fwiw it looks fine here (my screen is calibrated).

That's so cute!

Adorable :).

fwiw it looks fine here (my screen is calibrated).

Thanks chaps.

Fab. The seating arrangement is perfect. What I really like "apart from everything" is all that texture in the Teddy and the fluffy top.

Gaz

Big sis was intent on wearing that top so didn't have too much say about it. She's also wearing a skirt and so I would have preferred trousers on reflection, hence I've added a little gradient to help stop that drawing attention. Teddy goes everywhere with the little lady, so nice to get him in shot.

I've got some nice ones of big sis on her own but bit busy this week and so I'll get around to processing them at some point.

The little lady was literally asleep on her lap here, 5 minutes after this was taken,

Back