When cyclists attack

can you be a bit more precise is this a lavatory pan or frying pan ,and if the latter ceramic or teflon coated or like ours caked in untold layers of bacon fat .which by the way is useful for spreading on cycle paths as is the proceeds of the other type of pan hmmmmmm a eureka moment :woot::woot::woot::woot:

Just to tidy things up, Police have been back in touch.

No further action to be taken. When asked why, they said they didn't have the resources to follow up and my actions were not beyond reproach. I asked if they thought I had broken the law but from the evidence they have, then no.

I asked if I happen to see him, detain him and ring the police, would they respond?
Only if there was someone in the area as it would not be a priority.

Makes me feel that in future there may well be two of us in custody if we both escape death.

Cheers folks.

I asked if I happen to see him, detain him and ring the police, would they respond?
Why would you need to? Haven't they got his details from when they attended the incident?

Detain him on what grounds? o_O

He was a prat, you were a prat. Outcome seems pretty reasonable all round tbh.

told ya phil you should have knocked the t*** out ,put his bike under your wheels and drove off laughing ,old bill still wouldn't have given a toss ,i remember years ago a woman called a dog as i was driving through a road with fields either side ,it ran right in front of me and under my 3 ton bedford tk ,,i felt really bad about it but the stupid cow had called it .in those days it was a reportable incident ,so i went to the nearest cop shop to do my duty thinking i was gonna get grilled etc ,the desk sergeant simply said ,should have been on a lead near a road ,then laughed looked at his mate and said thats another one gotten rid of .i walked out shaking my head

Just to tidy things up, Police have been back in touch.

No further action to be taken. When asked why, they said they didn't have the resources to follow up and my actions were not beyond reproach. I asked if they thought I had broken the law but from the evidence they have, then no..

you probably didn't break the law per se - but you shouldn't have got out of your cab - having a bit of verbal as you are driving along is one thing, but why stop and make an issue of it ?

He's clearly a cock of the first water , but if you'd just shrugged and driven off there'd have been no opportunity for him to assault you in the first place

Did he actually punch you?

more to the point did he throw the first punch before or after you grabbed him by the front of his jersey - its not clear from the video, but if it was after you grabbed him , his version of events would be that you assaulted him and he was acting in self defence. (I'm not saying that this is right - but that's what he'd say)

Also the latter bit of the video where you've been separated and you are being held back from him by a passer by doesn't look too clever in terms of being 'above reproach' if i'm honest

I was attacked as soon as I got out. The second event was me trying to hold him till the cops came

I was attacked as soon as I got out. The second event was me trying to hold him till the cops came
I'd have got back in the cab and driven off, if his bike was laying in the road so be it,
you only wanted to leave to defuse the situation after all.

( well that's what a mate of mine did & said, years ago, he got away with it too)

I was attacked as soon as I got out.

that may be true - but its not shown on the video so if his version is different you could be in the s***

"yeah ossifer this big hairy trucker got out and he was like really threatening an that, and then i tried to get away so he like grabbed hold of me and i was like really frightened innit so I hit him to make him let me go but he wouldn't and i slapped him a few more times with no result but he just wouldn't let go of me... then these other dudes came and got him off me and i tried to run away but he came after me again... etc"

and that would go double if you 'apprehend him' again later " yeah i was just walking down the street and then he ran up and grabbed hold of me again... this dude just won't leave me alone hes a danger to society, officers... what if it had been a kid, won't someone think of the children, and the kittens" etc

(i'm not saying this version is in anyway accurate - but without proof it isn't its a plausible interpretation of what the video shows

just write this one off to experience and as i said, next time don't get out of your cab, its hard for him to hurt you seriously if you are surrounded by several tonne of glass and steel

Afraid not, he scarpered before they arrived.

But cyclists generally use the same routes ;)
Umm, earlier you've said you were holding him until the Police came. What was the point of that if you were going to let him go before they arrived?
It wasn't just an excuse to put your hands on him, was it? ;)

Last edited:
just hang round the closest gluten free veggie hippy shop, he will be in soon enough

Umm, earlier you've said you were holding him until the Police came. What was the point of that if you were going to let him go before they arrived?
It wasn't just an excuse to put your hands on him, was it? ;)
Ooer :)

I was holding him but the people you saw in the video pulled us apart. When you see me make a grab for him again it was to hold him. You see one guy trying to hold his bike back when he falls off it as I asked him to hold him. The cyclist can be seen pushing him away too so I can't really blame him for not getting involved further.

Might just put it down to experience, remove the rose coloured glasses that the law will protect you and carry on with my life.

Or I might just keep an eye out for the little s*** and deliver my own justice.

:facepalm: Just move on and let it go. Whoever is in the wrong it won't help you at all going over and over it, in fact it'll make you feel worse. I know you probably hate his guts but he almost certainly feels the same!

I was holding him but the people you saw in the video pulled us apart. When you see me make a grab for him again it was to hold him. You see one guy trying to hold his bike back when he falls off it as I asked him to hold him. The cyclist can be seen pushing him away too so I can't really blame him for not getting involved further.

Might just put it down to experience, remove the rose coloured glasses that the law will protect you and carry on with my life.

LOL!

Trouble is the video shows you being aggressive, then a scuffle, possibly initiated by you getting out of the cab, clearly annoyed and agitated.

I'd suggest additional camera angles to ensure the video matches your story in the future. What are you currently using, just one of the cheap dash cams? Quite high up in the cab so misses things at the front bumper. Something to record the mirrors maybe?

Multi camera system to a dv recorder
http://www.4kam.com/onboard_camera_race_package.htm

Last edited:
I was being defensive by holding him back. My initial reaction was to pummel him after he attacked me but his elder status put a stop to that.

I wont make that mistake again.

This Camera is all I'm getting, next time something like this happens it will be thrown on the bunk then disappear ;)

I asked if they thought I had broken the law but from the evidence they have, then no.
Sounds like they couldn't be bothered to log it. There's a whole range of offenses captured on that video and unless you got the "we're not going to pursue this" in writing, I'd tread carefully as they could quickly change their mind.

For a start abandoning your vehicle with the engine running is forbidden by section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (enforcing rule 123 of the Highway Code). That's a whopping £20 fine - which explains why PC Plod 'didn't notice it' . "Obstructing the Highway" carries a £1,000 fine. And that's before one considers possible charges for assault, unlawful detention, false arrest, and now your continued threats online.

Sounds like they couldn't be bothered to log it. There's a whole range of offenses captured on that video and unless you got the "we're not going to pursue this" in writing, I'd tread carefully as they could quickly change their mind.

For a start abandoning your vehicle with the engine running is forbidden by section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (enforcing rule 123 of the Highway Code). That's a whopping £20 fine - which explains why PC Plod 'didn't notice it' . "Obstructing the Highway" carries a £1,000 fine. And that's before one considers possible charges for assault, unlawful detention, false arrest, and now your continued threats online.
Bet you're a bundle of fun in the pub quiz.

While some of that is true, there would never be a conviction for any of it.

The only crime was that the HGV driver didn't give the necky little s*** a clip.

Get a nice ball pein hammer and crack his nuts next time :)

No further action to be taken. When asked why, they said they didn't have the resources to follow up and my actions were not beyond reproach. I asked if they thought I had broken the law but from the evidence they have, then no.

Did the police suggest wether they thought the cyclist repeatedly punching you was a criminal offense?

e.g. are they not investigating it further because they don't think the cyclist committed a criminal offense, or is it just that they think they are unable to identify the cyclist from the available evidence.

Did the police suggest wether they thought the cyclist repeatedly swinging at you like a 10 year old girl was a criminal offense?

FTFY :LOL:

Did the police suggest wether they thought the cyclist repeatedly punching you was a criminal offense?

e.g. are they not investigating it further because they don't think the cyclist committed a criminal offense, or is it just that they think they are unable to identify the cyclist from the available evidence.
Probably a bit of both. They don't know who he is, and even if they find him he has a credible defence that the OP started the fight and he only struck in self-defence.

I was wondering if the police indicated wether they would arrest / interview under caution the cyclist if the they had him infront of them, or if it was just that they thought they would be unlikely to trace / identify the cyclist, or if they thought he didn't have anything to answer for.

It looks like there were loads of independent witnesses, several of which seemed to be trying to help you out.

They said no resources to chase him down and they are sorry. They said they couldn't prosecute me with that evidence

Back