When do you say enough is enough?

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
Here’s a question for the wedding photographers. At what point do you think a client is going to be too much hassle so you turn down the booking?

I was given the details of a guy who’s getting married next year by a friend of mine who’s been at a couple of weddings I’ve shot this year. I called him up about a month ago and I gave him my website details and told him to get in touch if he wanted to meet for a chat. The following day we arranged to meet on the following Sunday at 5pm. On the Sunday morning he text me to say he wasn’t going to be able to make it so can we put it off to the following Sunday. I replied to his text within 2 minutes saying the same time next week would be fine. I got no reply. I chased it up on the Friday to see if he was coming and heard nothing. The following Thursday I got a text asking if I was free on the Friday night for him to come and see me. Again I replied within 2 minutes to say yes I was available. Again I heard nothing and he didn’t turn up. This Sunday morning I got a text asking what evenings I would be free this week. Again I replied quickly (on Sunday morning) saying any evening apart from Tuesday. I didn’t get a reply until Monday night saying he was only available on the Tuesday (if he knew that then why didn’t he say in the first place?). So I said I’m not going out Tuesday until 8pm so if he can come about 6:30 then I’m free. Again I’ve heard nothing and I don’t expect him to turn up tonight.

So, at what point do you think it’s all too difficult and this client is just going to be too much hassle to make it worth taking the booking?

The annoying thing is that they are a good looking couple, getting married at my favourite venue wanting full day coverage and they are friends with at least 3 other couple that are getting married in the next 2 or 3 years that would hope to get bookings from.

Enough is enough when you don't get a booking out of it, well if it were me that's how I would look at it(plus a deposit) life's not easy some times and maybe he has a few problems he has to deal with and meeting you is way down on his list.

Enough is enough when you don't get a booking out of it, well if it were me that's how I would look at it(plus a deposit) life's not easy some times and maybe he has a few problems he has to deal with and meeting you is way down on his list.

This^

It's a PITA because you're letting his 'value' to you cloud your judgement of him. He's a bloke, who's either busy or disorganised, that won't make him a bad customer.

If he'd turned up on the first occasion, made daft demands about your photography, negotiated a discount, mulled over paying the deposit, changed the contract, then asked if you could change the date. Then he'd be a 'risky' customer.:cautious:

Be frank, tell him that the various times that he hasn't turned up has become confusing so just leave him the offer of visiting on the table. Rarely do I meet clients outside of home, if they want me, they'll pay for me. He could well be very busy or slightly slow when it comes to arrangements etc but then, he's getting married, the one day of your life that you have to be on the ball.....

I'd say walk away from this one. If he is this difficult under the relatively low pressure, then how will it be when the pressure turns up or serious money has to be handed over. Besides, anything starting on a negative usually impairs how I work. Maybe just me.

It may be worth a bit more hassle. Or perhaps, try and arrange it with the partner? They will probably both be there on the wedding day, assuming he doesn't forget.

I had this a while back. Customer kept cancelling and rearranging then cancelling. I nearly gave up.

But then I was visiting someone near them so I offered to go round after. Turns out they just had a bad run of luck, crazy shifts and childcare issues. They booked.

Sometimes sh*t happens. If anything they may be more likely tp book you because they've inconvenienced you and/or their lives are so hectic they won't have time to keep looking

Back