When to format and reload? (Mac)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
You know how when you first got into computers, you added all the crap you could get just to find out what it did. When you found out which bits were good and which bits were not, you realised that the speedy computer you once owned is now not so speedy? The odd bit of software you use does not load anymore (but you really don't care enough to sort it out properly). I'm getting there.

My decision is whether to wait until September/October and restart fresh with Snow Leopard or do it now. If I do it now, what problems will I hit?

Do I just shove the build dvd in and reboot and follow onscreen instructions? All my data is properly backed up.

Chris

It's very unusual to get to this stage with a mac/OS-X. You must have installed loads of junk for it to have such issues.

I'd be tempted to fix the problem sufficiently to allow me to wait until Snow L. Have you run any maintenance utilities? Whenever I suspect an issue (rare) I run one called 'Maintenance". Its rather obvious name can make it difficult to Google for :D Here's a link

Having said that, don't be put off reinstalling everything. It's a pleasure to do with OS-X.

You know how when you first got into computers, you added all the crap you could get just to find out what it did. When you found out which bits were good and which bits were not, you realised that the speedy computer you once owned is now not so speedy? The odd bit of software you use does not load anymore (but you really don't care enough to sort it out properly). I'm getting there.

My decision is whether to wait until September/October and restart fresh with Snow Leopard or do it now. If I do it now, what problems will I hit?

Do I just shove the build dvd in and reboot and follow onscreen instructions? All my data is properly backed up.

Chris

I have three Macs - the oldest being bough in 2002. None of them have ever needed to be rebuilt as yet, and although hey have all had loads of software installed and removed.

If you feel you need to, and have ALL your data backed up, then yes - just boot of the install DVD and follow the instructions.

I have three Macs - the oldest being bough in 2002. None of them have ever needed to be rebuilt as yet, and although hey have all had loads of software installed and removed.

If you feel you need to, and have ALL your data backed up, then yes - just boot of the install DVD and follow the instructions.

I think that it is a combination of playing with things to understand how they work and not knowing how to undo some of them - I have fragmented files from before I understood how to uninstall junk. I tend to lean towards OCD tidy also!

Recently saw just how easy it was to take advantage of a Windows share used with Parallels (it was XP, patched and up to date with Zonealarm ). Both XP and Parallels have been removed, I just want to make sure.

My Safari has issues and not sure if is a bug from the recent update or something I have done. Not overly keen on Firefox.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

If you do decide to re-install there is always the 'Archive and Install' option, this basically backs up your home directory (all your files and settings in your user directory), installs the operating system and then leaves them in a 'Previous Installs' folder on your hard drive, this way you dont need to back the data up to another PC/drive before you do it and all your data is handy. It also has the option to have it put your home directory back in place once it has finished installing.

It is an awesome feature of the OSX installer and a feature that I think Windows should definitely have, especially seen as you have to re-install every 2 minutes :p

Back