When would you put work on your portfolio?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I've done some work for a customer and was wondering when its a good time to add to the portfolio on my website? After they publish the pictures to their website, or as soon as i send them the images? I was hoping to get it up asap really.

I've done some work for a customer and was wondering when its a good time to add to the portfolio on my website? After they publish the pictures to their website, or as soon as i send them the images? I was hoping to get it up asap really.

Your photos = use as and when YOU want to.

If its commercial work the customer will have a view on this, but it should have been in the contract.

For wedding and portrait customers, I tend to update my portfolio at the year end and I'll not use anything that's not fully delivered to the customer.

If there is no contract, there's a good chance that the customer will assume, incorrectly, that they own copyright of commissioned work. If you are in any doubt at all, do absolutely nothing until you've been paid.

Then you can do what you like with them, legally, but the client may have a different view, rightly or wrongly, so it's a) polite, b) professional, and c) prudent - if you value future commissions - to keep them fully informed of your plans.

This should all be agreed up front. Regardless of the law, it can be a very touchy subject for photographers, clients and subjects.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll speak to them and see what they are happy with me doing. And I'll agree this for the future beforehand (lesson learned here)

Back