Where and how to photograph motorsports

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
No
Hello all

I would love to have a go at photographing some motorsports so would appreciate some advice from your kind selves.

Firstly, I live in Bolton, where is there within a reasonable (<1hr) travelling distance that I could visit?

Secondly, how does it all work? Can you just turn up and find yourself a spot to tog from or are there passes you need to get, from where, how much etc etc?

Yes, I am completely new to this and probably sounding very green but just looking at some of your shots makes me really want to get out there and try it for myself.

get yourself a motorsport news and have a look for local events in your area, if you go to a rally it is just a fee to pay for parking (normally about £5) and then go take a walk up or down the stage and stop where ever you like. (y)

Oulton Park is 'relatively' close to you. I know that bike track days are free to get into, you don't need to be riding or know anyone that is. You can then get access to the track to take photos and wander around the pits.

Riders will generally be more than happy to talk to you especially if you offer to send them some pics!

A good opportunity for some practice.

Three Sisters at Wigan is a nice little circuit some Kart racing and bike racing and £5 to get in

Mark 250 - Thanks for the motorsport news and Oulton Park suggestions I will look into it

ninjafox - Thanks to you too, that's exactly what I'm looking for and need (practice), the opportunity to get into the pits would be excellent.

Smurf - Had quite a busy weekend so only just picked up this message about the event on Sunday, I'm gutted I missed it but thanks for the link I'll keep my eye on it for future events.

Wack61 - Will take a look

Thanks to all for taking time to reply, looks like I'll be paying these places a visit in the next couple of weeks and come away no doubt wanting some faster glass!!

hi there is a big event at a place called cholmondeley castle just outside of shropshire its called the pageant of power its on on saturday and sunday 16th and 17th of july 2011.
an excellent venue .
you can go online and get a ticket or buy one on the gate if you get a paddock ticket it allows you back stage shall we say ie service pit stops closer access to the track side mingle with the drivers and pit crew providing the british weather stays fine then this will be a excellent starting point for your photography.
if you are intersted then i will be there on the sunday on the CLUB AUDI stand my name is IAN you are more than welcome to come along

hi carl there is an ideal opportunity on 16/17th july 2011 at a venue called cholmondeley castle just outside of shropshire the event is called the pageant of power tickets are either available online (pageant of power cholmondeley castle) or on the gate.
if you are interested then may i advise getting a paddock ticket this will give you access to the service area's access to the drivers and pit crews and closer access to the track area.
this is an ideal opportunity to polish up your camera skills .
i will only be there on the sunday but if you are intersted you are more than welocome to tag along.
my name is IAN and you can find me on the CLUB AUDI stand

Back