South-East England Where are the best places see to see birds of prey around Surrey?

Name
Lawrence
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I was wondering is anyone could recommend some places ideally around Ash, Aldershot, Farnham, Farnborough Camberley, Guildford, where I have a good chance of seeing see Birds of Prey? Kites, Buzzards, Kestrels, Hawks etc.

And is there any particular time of day or conditions they prefer to come out in?

I occasionally (maybe once a week) see the odd Red Kite pass over our where I live in Ash, and yesterday afternoon I spotted a Sparrowhawk, although it was too high up to get any decent pics.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Buzzards are often flying around during the afternoon on sunny days. I usually see kestrels in the morning. Red kites around my parts (Malverns) are non existent but there are loads at the Chilterns on the M40 at most times of day.

To be honest, in any specific location you're going to be lucky to see any of this sort of ornithology but if you know where to find them (M40 and Elan Valley for red kites for example and loads of buzzards in Herefordshire) you will struggle. Some searching on t'internet will help though as most of these birds are resident in most of the UK.

I don't think there is any one place or time you just have to get out with the camera. I must see a bird of prey most days but I spend at least one hour a day walking my dogs sometimes from home in Send or on one of the many commons local to us both.

Buzzards are now quite common I had four over my house last Friday morning and saw two in Clandon yesterday afternoon whilst walking my dogs. I saw two kestrels yesterday as well one in the morning in Burpham by Clandon golf and one in Send late afternoon. I doubt if I went back to the same spot at the same time today or tomorrow they would be there though.

Red kites are easier though just go in the direction of Reading. The last time I went I recon I must have seen 20 if it wasn't a work trip I could have spent a bit of time searching for a spot or just parked up.

There are a few hotspots for other birds try looking on Surrey bird watchers forum. You will notice that there are not sightings of the same thing every day in the same place though.

It is a bit of luck as remember one walk on Wisley Common last year when I got photos of a Buzzard, kestrel, Hobby and a Goshawk. I have also walked it many time since and seen nothing not even a crow.

Thursley Common is a known draw for certain species, otherwise most BoP are wide ranging rather than being 'hot spot' species. For example, kestels are relatively common and will occur all over the place, so it's about finding a location that works for you photographically. A quiet anonymous farm trumps a busy nature reserve.

surreybirdclub.org.uk has a useful recent sightings page.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions, I’ll definitely get out on the local commons and see what I can seen.

Well since my fist post I can now suggest a location, and also my house! Last weekend I was lucky enough to see 3 kites circling above the garden. Naturally they didn’t hand around for long, but I was able to get a few pictures.

But the place I can suggest is around Woodford Park in the Village of Woodley, Reading. I was speaking to a guy a work that regularly walks his dogs around there and said he see’s lots of kites on a daily occurrence. This is mostly because quite a few residence there put food out for them.
When I arrived at about 1pm on a fairly sunny afternoon there must have been about 12 in total circling around, mainly over the houses and pretty low down. They hung around for about 45mins before drifting off in to the distance, but there is quite a strong presence of them in the village of Woodley, you'd be unlucky not to spot them :)

Here’s a few pics of what I saw around Woodford Park (hopefully the pics will show)
Not great quality shots as Im still learning, but lovely birds.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg