Where are you this weekend 16/10/10?

thas not comming up't north to watch them play't Uddersfield then Boggy??

First time I've been able to contribute to one of these threads :)

Peterborough Utd vs Swindon.

thas not comming up't north to watch them play't Uddersfield then Boggy??

Can somebody translate that into the Queens English for me :LOL:

No thanks, too cold..... ha ha
Used to follow my team pre-children etc, now get stick from my mates who still do as I'm down the front now!

Come on down the weathers lovely.......... you'll upset tobers
TP and a cs meet all in one!

lol, your name came up whilst chatting to JP about International rugby in Wales during November ;)

Nothing like November in Wales to grapple with BT Openzone in cardiff. I'm at the springboks game. Huzzah!

First time I've been able to contribute to one of these threads :)

Peterborough Utd vs Swindon.

Just read in another thread, first one? Excited yet?
Welcome to the party and have a blast on Saturday, 70-200 should do you fine.

Shaun

Glad we're keeping you busy Mr Oldham ;)

I'll play too -

Friday - Ospreys v London Irish - Thanks Friday night rugby, last refuge of social life gone
Sat - Cardiff City v Bristol City - Remember to pack hardhat
Sun - Blackpool v Man City - Remember to pack sandals
Wed - Inter Milan v Tottenham - Remember to pack hairgel
Thurs - Napoli v Liverpool - Remember to pack flick-knife

Ah good...another person to keep me sane at Cardiff tomorrow...don't forget, it's a 12:00 KO to keep the rowdy fans off the sauce.

Friday night's bad...however, I've got a THURSDAY night rugby match in a few weeks...no idea they did them!

Cambrian Rally in wales on saturday for me, I'l get some shots up! :)

Playing around with my Rally car on sunday :eek:

Ah good...another person to keep me sane at Cardiff tomorrow...don't forget, it's a 12:00 KO to keep the rowdy fans off the sauce.

Friday night's bad...however, I've got a THURSDAY night rugby match in a few weeks...no idea they did them!

Thursday nights are a common occurrence up this way. As the song goes, 'Thursday nights, Channel 5..' repeat ad infinitum at Man City/Liverpool fans ;)

Thursday nights are a common occurrence up this way. As the song goes, 'Thursday nights, Channel 5..' repeat ad infinitum at Man City/Liverpool fans ;)

Oh yeah, Europa League definitely...but RUGBY!!!

No-one wants to get ****ed on a thursday.

I'm doing Gloucester vs Rovigo at Kingsholm on Saturday. First Rugby game pitchside for me. Been covering more of the Olympic sports until now but Rugby and football should be a bigger part of my workload from now on.

Now one for James or anyone else who shoots South West rugby.... Any advice on shooting at Kingsholm..... what shooting positions are available? Do they provide good wi-fi..... can photographers park at the ground or is it side streets like everyone else. Dont know these things as I was roped in last minute... Supposed to be moving home tomorrow and my main lens is with Nikon so forced to use my backup cheapo siggy 100-300f4 but despote that agency seemed desperate for someone to cover it despite it being a minor game.

Praying for no rain to as my waterproofs are in storage and i wont have time to get them pre match.... can tell im prepared!!

Have you checked the TP guides thread? think Kingsholm might have been mentioned

Who are you shooting for? how did the Diving (Euro Champs?) go, any chance of seeing some pics?

Have you checked the TP guides thread? think Kingsholm might have been mentioned

Who are you shooting for? how did the Diving (Euro Champs?) go, any chance of seeing some pics?

no luck in that thread.... its one of the few not mentioned. Shooting tomorrow for ActionPlus but i have a few different agencies on the go for different sports! Budapest went very well thanks and that week taught me soooo much. Very intensive week of photography and editing. Literally no chance to get a breather but i loved every minute. Made great contacts through it too. I maybe planned on being more creative in my shots, but in the end i was busy enough getting the shots i needed without trying to be more artistic aswell! heres some photos from it: these are the best of those i didn't submit http://rogan.photoshelter.com/gallery/Best-of-Budapest-2010-LEN-European-Aquatics-Championships/G0000b7mNc59nDdw/1

Last edited:
Some superb shots there Rogan, particularly like the shots against the black bg (y)

What kit did you take in the end?

Would be good to see some more of your work, its good to see that things are working out for you :)

Some superb shots there Rogan, particularly like the shots against the black bg (y)

What kit did you take in the end?

Would be good to see some more of your work, its good to see that things are working out for you :)

Thanks! those shots on black are at night (outdoor pool) and it was awful! virtually no light. Only about 3 or 4 of us bothered to shoot out of 10s of photographers present. I think things are working out.... moving along slowly but im under no illusions about the industry, i know its difficult and at the moment its not a stand-alone career. i know where i want to be and know more-a-less what ive gotta do to be there!! I keep meaning to become more active on TP again so ill post some work in the near future.

ended up taking the 300 2.8 and 1.4 converter. I wanted more reach of course for the swimming, but the having the ability to drop to 300 worked out well for diving. It was a bit sickening though when the big agency staffers are there with 3 main bodies..... 600mm, 300mm or 400mm, 70-200, AND remote cameras with wide angles behind the blocks! AFP even had an underwater crawler camera they could move around the pool floor! not to mention their on site editors..... One Day!

Gagghh - just wasted £1 on the News Of The World. There's a nice big shot from the Reading v Swansea in there which I was convinced was mine especially after comparing it to the version of it on my iPhone. After I got home I had a closer look and it emerged that it must have been from the guy next to me.

It's so close to exactly the same shot taken at exactly the same instant you have to look very carefully to spot the differences. I did think it was quite unlikely to get in NOTW as they had their own guy there anyway.

There were a few of us TPers there - anyone else get anything in?

feel for you mate.. done that so many times.. convinced its mine but a slight variation and its the bloke next to me :(

Had a horrible morning... around 120 players and staff for a team pic... no benches or chairs... at accy stanley ground which is poor all round... had to make best of it... the guy in charge gave up at one point and said lets just do team pics and have done with it.....nooo said I .. we will get something even if it is naff :(

Gagghh - just wasted £1 on the News Of The World. There's a nice big shot from the Reading v Swansea in there which I was convinced was mine especially after comparing it to the version of it on my iPhone. After I got home I had a closer look and it emerged that it must have been from the guy next to me.

It's so close to exactly the same shot taken at exactly the same instant you have to look very carefully to spot the differences. I did think it was quite unlikely to get in NOTW as they had their own guy there anyway.

There were a few of us TPers there - anyone else get anything in?

Haven't seen any papers today, not holding out much hope. Must say it was a bit rubbish what with the light across the stand midway through the first half. Hindsight would be a good thing, anybody know where I can get some!
Over to you Gareth.

Yet again a quiet week ahead turns out not to be... just got asked to do a college rugby match at 4pm today

Yet again a quiet week ahead turns out not to be... just got asked to do a college rugby match at 4pm today

Get those batteries charged man and get out the winter gear.

Really cold snap coming aparently :nuts:

Hyndburn cross country for me Saturday and racing Sunday as opposed to taking racing pics.

Well I got there and opposition not turning up.. but they are having an inter schools traing session instead... so I phone picture desk and they say no problem.. team pics and some training action pics.... so in the drizzle off I went carrying a heavy peli over two fields to get to them.... not the best job but all done :)

Just read in another thread, first one? Excited yet?
Welcome to the party and have a blast on Saturday, 70-200 should do you fine.

Shaun

Cheers Shaun.

I was excited about shooting the match. Although the migraine i had all weekend did pee on my fire somewhat!

I went with the 70-200 and 1.4x tc and must admit i was disappointed with the autofocus. I'm not sure if the tc was causing problems or if it was me. I may have been guilty of trying to focus with the outer focus points (as i would with a portrait). I found switching to the inner points later in the first-half did help.

Do you guys have any suggestions on autofocus?

ETA - BTW in case anyone is wondering i was there for practice - there was no expectation on me to get good pictures (thank god) :)

Last edited:
Cheers Shaun.

I was excited about shooting the match. Although the migraine i had all weekend did pee on my fire somewhat!

I went with the 70-200 and 1.4x tc and must admit i was disappointed with the autofocus. I'm not sure if the tc was causing problems or if it was me. I may have been guilty of trying to focus with the outer focus points (as i would with a portrait). I found switching to the inner points later in the first-half did help.

Do you guys have any suggestions on autofocus?

Single Focus point, usually centre ;)

Andy - by the Wink I'm not sure if you meant that or not :D

Yeah i was being serious, you need to use single focus point, otherwise when there are lots of bodies in the frame the camera will randomly choose what to focus on :)

Back