Where can I get a selection of E6 35mm stock at a decent Price

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
It's about time I replenished the 'fridge on E6 35mm stock... After my last experiments with home and cross processing, I'm down to my last couple of rolls of Velvia 50 and the final roll of Kodachrome.

Thing Is, I've always been pretty unadventurous on slide stuff, up until recently, sticking fairly solidly to Velvia 50 or 100. As I've said before, I don't really shoot people photo's - more of a landscape-ey kind of guy. But with the cross-processing and home processing on the Holga/PinHolga, I've tried a whole bunch of assorted, out-dated, and generally mal-exposed and miss-processed stuff. Now i'd sort of like to see how they SHOULD come out properly exposed (hopefuly, at least) and processed. So - I'm looking for a couple of things...

1) A suggestions list of 35mm (so it's actually got a chance of being exposed correctly - my 120 cameras aren't really up to the mark) film types that might suit my shooting styles. I'd particularly welcome suggestions on Kodak, as i've never used it, and fancy an experiement or two:)

2) Somewhere that actually stocks a decent range of these fillms, where I can buy a "grab bag" of assorted films - say 2 of each of a half dozen films to try out, and also somewhere that does a decent discount for buying in 10's for the stuff I decide I like. So far I've compared 7dayshop, Mailshots and AG Photographic and to be honest 7Dayshop is waay cheaper.... Anyone got a more reliable supplier at a similar price ?

and seeing as this forum is making dreams come true recently...

3) An Xpan for a couple of quid

4) the moon on a stick

:LOL:

Anyone got a more reliable supplier at a similar price ?

I've never had reliability problems with 7DS - You just have to allow about a week for it to arrive, although you can pay extra and get quicker delivery.

I certainly wouldn't pay those Kodak prices RaglanSurf linked to above though :eek:

I've never had reliability problems with 7DS - You just have to allow about a week for it to arrive, although you can pay extra and get quicker delivery.

I certainly wouldn't pay those Kodak prices RaglanSurf linked to above though :eek:

Largely, I've found 'em okay as well - but they DO have a habit of going out of stock on certain items, putting things on backorder, then not getting the stuff in for 6 months. Then One day, out of the blue, you get an envelope with 3 films in that you've forgotten about :LOL: I was just hoping for a supplier i'd missed, who had a proper integrated live stock and ordering system, and who deliver next day for a good price. Maybe i've been spoiled with online purchasing for bike parts (Wiggle and CRC seem to do exactly as I've just described, and undercut bricks and mortar shops to the extent that my LBS can't purchase shimano kit from the distributor for the same price CRC sell it online :shrug:)

Oh - and I did mention the moon on a stick! :LOL:

I wasn't suggesting buying from Kodak :bang::bang: it was just the technical info I was pointing to :LOL::LOL:

I wasn't suggesting buying from Kodak :bang::bang: it was just the technical info I was pointing to :LOL::LOL:

I'd guessed that :LOL: - though in fairness, there's really something very very wrong if the direct sale from the manufacturer is more expensive than a bricks and mortar shop...

I'd guessed that :LOL: - though in fairness, there's really something very very wrong if the direct sale from the manufacturer is more expensive than a bricks and mortar shop...

I agree, but I suppose if Kodak are anything like any other multi-national corporation they all keep their retail prices high so that shops have some customers.

Even more worrying is the fact the the Elitechrome is 'out of stock' from probably the biggest manufacturer of film in the world. :cautious:

Yeah, have you seen the cost of Velvia 100 35mm direct from Fuji, its like £6.80 or something ridiculous.
I don't do a lot of 35mm to be fair, although the specials on ilford b/w at SilverPrint where quite handy.
I suppose that's what we are looking at really, keeping eyes wide open for "specials".
Should be a sticky for sharing cheap film finds tbh...

I have used Ektachrome E-100VS (standing for 'vivid saturation) quite effectively and would recommend that. The colours are quite saturated, almost to the extent of Velvia 50 but you don't get the orange to red colour shifts.

Elite Chrome 100 is basically the same thing but not professionally handled, frozen etc, but it may be a previous generation as the colours are not as saturated with it. Its still quite good though.

I use 7DS for pretty much all my film, the golden rule is check it says 'stock - plenty' before ordering. I've never gone wrong so far with that.

Back