Where did all the hardware come from

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to our local air show at Sywell Northants on Sunday 24th taking my newly acquired A300 for its first major test. I have to admit i was stunned at some of the equipment that people have and suddenly produce and I'm not talking about press photographers that were present. I hold my hand up and admit that Cannon & Nikon definitely took the viewing publics fancy, the range of cameras, accessories and lenses was outstanding. I guess i have only noticed this since regaining my own interest in photography in recent months and some of their kit made mine look insignificant, but isn't it a nice feeling to be surrounded by such dedicated people.

PS I managed to clock up 300 photos for the day but not all were pretty pictures as i tried out various settings and what worked the best etc

Dont count sony out man. we have a decent verity of lenses as well. (I saw we because I have a A200

I was at Sywell on Sunday (I blasted out about 1000 pics - I don't get out too often).

It seemed to me (from where I was standing) that Canon was in the majority, as evidenced by the grey things on front of the cameras (yes I know that you can get the 70-200VR in grey).

As long as the kit you have is capable of getting you the pictures you want, you have no need to feel inferior.

As long as the kit you have is capable of getting you the pictures you want, you have no need to feel inferior.

:agree:

I went to a wedding and this little old lady was walking round with an SLR, i looked closely it had a red ring ont he lens ! 24-105 F4 on a Canon 350D, i was a little taken back.

I noticed a similar thing back at the Waddington Airshow this year. Some of the spectators have such huge lenses, makes you wonder where they get the money from. Some kids were also walking round with massive white lenses. Then I suppose if they take their aircraft photography seriously then they will save up and spalsh out on the best kit they can.

I have had film cameras in the past and used to use superb equipment for taking what was truly, at the end of the day, posh snaps. However, a few months ago I got into Digital SLRs and have now got the right, but modest compared to many, kit. However, what digital has allowed me is the ability to experiment with no additional cost so I can try out a range of settings and techniques. Also help from good mags and this forum has, in my view, already improved the quality of photos that I take. I am really pleased with the photos which I have just brought back from holiday and cannot see that I would need better kit - just better abilities and knowledge.
(might still upgrade sometime though!).

Never feel inferior. In actual fact, with good abilities and knowledge you are likely to take better shots than 90% of those with 'better' kit.

There are no less lenses for the sony's, sigma, sony an tamron do lenses for us, not to mention a whole host of old minolta gear.

The camera doesnt make the picture, you do

And don't forget that not everybody buys all their gear. If you'd gone to Farnborough there would have been about 40 or 50 togs there with lenses (mostly big white ones) which they'd hired from us. You don't have to have loadsamoney to be able to play with expensive toys.

Back