Where do I begin?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. After using my Panasonic Lumix FZ45 reasonably successfully, I haven't got a clue where to start with my Nikon D3100. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can begin practising taking photos of? Not easy to get outside as it's wet/dark at the minute. I did try photographing fruit and veg but even a bowl of sweetcorn didn't look good. I'm worried I'll not get to grips with a dslr. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :|

Welcome to the world of DSLR, it will come in time and posting photos on here will get you loads of critique to see where you can improve.

I only upgraded about 4 months or so ago and was using a Lumix DMC-LZ20 before I bought a Nikon D3100 so its all about getting out there and taking some photos (weather permitted).

Learning to move away from the auto modes and use the Manual modes is the first step but you should get loads of help from other more experienced photographers on here.

What Lenses have you got?

Thank you. I have the 18-55 lens that it came with and, following advice, a Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DG macro. It doesn't have the anti vibration bit as it was too expensive. I like photographing animals, flowers and birds. Not much around at the minute though!

Well if I can get some shots like yours, Darren, I'd be more than happy! In the spring I'll have to get out and about. I guess it's all about practising.

You have the same camera and lenses I have. Have you got a tripod? I've spent many an hour taking photos of very boring objects in the house, using a tripod.
Just experimenting with aperture,shutter speed ,WB without flash . It all helped me to learn about using it on manual.

I bought a cheap remote shutter release so I could get into a few night time exposures, but you could always set the timer, I prefer to set to 10 seconds when I'm just shooting in the house for the sake of it :shrug:

I also bought a piece of thin white card (50p from Range) for doing stuff like this, I know, boring :LOL: but you'd be surprised how quickly an hour passes and as I said, its been good for learning ;)

DSC_4629 - Copy
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Thank Phil. I have a lightbox and some white card for when I get bored in the winter when I used my panasonic lumix. I might get it out and have a play around with the settings on my nikon. At least coming on this forum has made me a bit more confident that I might get the hang of it one day!

Thank Phil. I have a lightbox and some white card for when I get bored in the winter when I used my panasonic lumix. I might get it out and have a play around with the settings on my nikon. At least coming on this forum has made me a bit more confident that I might get the hang of it one day!

have a look in the different forums as some offer advise on the Manual modes and just get out there photographing. Look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Tell me about it :rolleyes: I'm definitely an out door person, the dark wet nights bore the **** out of me :D

You could always join in the PP game, can be found here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-pp-game.347318/

I've found that good recently, for passing a couple of hours and has help me improve my pp no end (y)

Pop to your local Morrison's, they should have a nice collection of flowers and the kit lens can get nice and close in to create some nice bokeh.

Hi. Im new to DSLR as well. before I had a fuji finepix bridge and really hated the finished photos but now got the nikon D3200 and like you im struggling with the settings but I do keep trying different things out. I agree its not easy. But got to soldier on.

Hi. After using my Panasonic Lumix FZ45 reasonably successfully, I haven't got a clue where to start with my Nikon D3100. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can begin practising taking photos of? Not easy to get outside as it's wet/dark at the minute. I did try photographing fruit and veg but even a bowl of sweetcorn didn't look good. I'm worried I'll not get to grips with a dslr. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :|

What was wrong with the bowl of sweetcorn? Did you struggle to get it exposed correctly, or did it just look meh? Do you have an example you could post?

What mode were you shooting in? If you're having problems with the basic shutter speed/aperture/iso triangle, then I heartily recommend the simulator at http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/ - it's how I learned the relationship. If that's not it, it could be just that the bowl of sweetcorn wasn't lit very nicely. Experiment - if it's bright out, then indirect sunlight light coming in through the window is a nice source. Use pieces of white paper to reflect the light back in at the subject, see what it does for shadows.

A reply I made a while ago to a similar request
smile.gif

Not normally popular when I suggest it but think about Still Life.
You can arrange the objects to give good composition, choose the colours to create harmony or to clash, try different numbers of objects – is 1 best or 2 or 3 etc. Move everything around so that the light is from a different direction, diffuse the light, reflect the light, shade the light. Try different focal lengths at the same, and different, distances. Underexpose, overexpose by different amounts to see the effect. Experiment with different apertures for DoF. Change the ISO to use small apertures at shutter speeds where you can hand hold the camera without shake, check the amount of noisewhen using high ISO etc.
While doing all that you do not have to worry that the subject is moving, or will disappear.
It really is worthwhile because once you have the subject set up you are no longer worried about getting a good/great picture, it is all about playing and learning.

It's a good idea to think about *why* you don't like the images that you've created with your new cameras, and to see what you can do differently to get the images you want to see. If you're working on a tripod then after composing you image through the viewfinder, look at it again in live view to see if it looks any different. That way you'll get a better idea of the relationship between viewfinder images and the final image on the computer screen.

If you're doing still life work, take the time to create a series of shots trying different apertures and seeing what difference that makes to you images. Also try photographing the same objects using the wide, middle and long end of the zoom(s) you have (and if you're really patient doing the aperture thing too). Try to understand how the changes you have made have affected the image, and how you might use those effects to advantage.

I replaced my Lumix FZ45 with a D5000 about a year and a half ago. While I loved the Lumix switching to DSLR was a great move for me, but there was a lot to learn. I would recommend getting a book like the "Dummies" or something like it. Amazon reviews are usually helpful in deciding what's best for your level. These books are much more readable than the manual and will help you learn your way around your new camera, and also might give you some ideas on shots and techniques to try.
A good tripod is also essential for macro and longexposure shots, and also if you want sharp images from your 300mm lens. Don't skimp on the tripod, make sure it,s strong enough to support the body and your longest lens on a windy day. There's nothing worse than watching your pride and joy accelerate towards the ground.
As for what to practice, first and foremost shoot what you like, and enjoy yourself doing it. Try landscapes, long exposure night shots, street photography, flowers for colours and macro. It's all good practice and wiil stand to you over time. Pick up a lego man or two as well,they're fun and open up a whole world of options.

Hope this helps

Many thanks for all the advice. There's a lot I need to learn but some great things on this forum to help me :)

If I may, I would heartily recommend taking a look in the 52's section of the forum.... Perfect time to start thinking about a 2014 thread.

one shot a week, for a year on a certain theme.

You get guaranteed feedback (and you give the same in return) from the same people each week, which will help and encourage you, in a friendly way. You can also take inspiration from others shots on the same theme.

If I may, I would heartily recommend taking a look in the 52's section of the forum.... Perfect time to start thinking about a 2014 thread.

one shot a week, for a year on a certain theme.

You get guaranteed feedback (and you give the same in return) from the same people each week, which will help and encourage you, in a friendly way. You can also take inspiration from others shots on the same theme.

^^^THIS^^^is a brilliant idea for anyone wether wishing to learn the basics or improve on their present abilities.

I did a 52 shots with 52 different cameras in 52 weeks during 2012 on film which was quite demanding time consuming, however to do a straight one shot per week for 52 weeks on digital is by comparison fairly easy.

Your don't have to be committed to following a certain set of themes unless you wish to ......simply choose what challenge you wish to suit yourself, post your shots, accept the feedback, ask questions and learn.

The benefits become apparent very very quickly as you pick up tips and ideas week on week, inded day on day depending on the feedback that you receive.

Back