Where do you buy used cameras??

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking at giving medium format a go at some point in the next year. Probably the Mamiya 645e - 645 because I want maximum shots per roll, at least initially, and the Mamiya 645e looks like it can be had fairly reasonably, being their ‘budget’ camera and seems fairly user-friendly! Also they seem to have a good choice is decent lenses.

Where would be the place place to keep an eye out for this kind of thing? EBAY seems to be overrun with stuff from Japan. Can’t seem to find anywhere else that’s selling them...

Here, although stuff like that comes up infrequentlty! Ebay is fine if you find an owner who has used it and can highlight any issues.

The stuff from Japan is usually really good value but you do have to watch for import duty.

Failing that there is a RB67 in the classifieds that I'm pretty sure has never been raced or rallied.

The stuff from Japan is usually really good value but you do have to watch for import duty.

Failing that there is a RB67 in the classifieds that I'm pretty sure has never been raced or rallied.

I hadn’t really thought of looking on here. I imagine it will be rare that the item you’re looking for will be for sale. But I’ll post in the ‘wanted’ section. I’d love to use the RB67 but I really want to start on a 645 - just for the cost per shot.

Personally, I use Clock Tower Cameras in Brighton (local, web site rarely updated :confused:).

For mail order, my first place to check is West Yorkshire Cameras, then Ffordes.

I watch the for sales in the F and C part of the classified, so as to see if there's anything I want.

Previous experience & the ratings used for lenses from Japan have persuaded me never to buy from Japan again.
They now include Mint ++++, suggesting anything that is only 'Mint' has significant issues.
The one lens I did buy, got stung for import duty so wasn't such a bargain & had undisclosed issues like a seized mounting ring...

I've always used either Real Camera Co in Manchester in person - or either Ffordes or here at TP for online.

The classifieds here, Ffordes, MWClassic (contrary to the feedback here I've actually had pretty good service from them!), and the odd eBay sale. I'm pretty much content with my film systems so it's really just keeping an eye out for accessories or *really* great deals.

I've used West Yorkshire Cameras twice and had great service both times.

Camley are pretty good for MF. Got a lot of my RB67 bits from them over the years. https://www.camleyphotographic.com/ Had a duff Pro back off them and they no quibble refunded.

Also +1 for Harrison Cameras and West Yorkshire Cameras. Ffordes can be a bit pricey.

Finally, set up an eBay search ("Mamiya 645e body", UK only) and save it as a saved seaqrch with email notifications. I have this set up for an RB67 chimney and prism finders as well as print cartridges on the lookout for something at the right price.

Also, while I think on, places like Camera World and Mifsuds (and mpb) all sell film stuff but don't have menu navigation to it. Means you can't browse, but you can search the site if you're after something specific. mpb is tricky with this as it doesn't have a wildcarding system so you need to be precise with your terms. Because it's not their mainline business, prices can be a bit cheaper than places like Ffordes or the Real Camera Company. I have found that things like Google (if you filter for shopping results) are actually quite good at finding them for you.

I mainly use Ffordes, West Yorkshire Cameras, Vintage Classic Cameras, Camera World, Camarthen Cameras, London Camera Exchange, The Real Camera Company and Mifsuds when I'm looking for something. Not sure I've actually bought something from each of them though.

If you look at The Real Camera Company, their website doesn't list all of their stuff (I've not been myself, but I've heard it's a bit of an Aladin's cave) so you might like to give them a ring. I was hunting around for a Bessa R3a for weeks and couldn't find one anywhere online. Rang them to ask on the off chance and they happened to have a mint condition one in stock.

If you buy from eBay in the UK, make sure the listing says that it's fully working. It's amazing how many non-photographers will sell on old inherited cameras that they haven't tested or checked, assuming that because they're film cameras people won't actually use them.

If you buy from eBay in the UK, make sure the listing says that it's fully working. It's amazing how many non-photographers will sell on old inherited cameras that they haven't tested or checked, assuming that because they're film cameras people won't actually use them.

The flipside of this is that you can sometimes get bargains when you suspect that a faulty camera just needs a new battery*. :)

* Or you buy a broken camera. :)

Mifsuds just down the road from you - they're in Brixham.
I've been in the shop when an assistant has been examining and describing kit in fairly minute detail while on the phone with a customer.
LCE in Exeter sometimes have some film kit.

Also keep an eye out for the first gen 645/645J as they can also be had cheaply. I bought a 645J+ 70mm f2.8+ deluxe grip for £225 from WYC earlier this year

What are they like to shoot? The 645e appeals as it has fairly good autoexposure. I wouldn’t rule out anything else. I’m not even committed to Mamiya it’s just that that model ticks a lot of boxes.

Mifsuds just down the road from you - they're in Brixham.
I've been in the shop when an assistant has been examining and describing kit in fairly minute detail while on the phone with a customer.
LCE in Exeter sometimes have some film kit.

Thanks Nod, I may have to have a poke around there on Friday...

6x7 is just like 645 but more so :)

It's the best roll film format (after 6x9) in my opinion.

Tempting but I’m definitely looking for 645 format!
I have a Mamiya 645 Pro plus lenses I was going to send up to Ffordes but could list it on here if you're interested. Or you could stick up a wanted ad?

6x7 is just like 645 but more so :)

It's the best roll film format (after 6x9) in my opinion.

Undoubtably better image quality but for what I’m using it for - photographing family, friends etc - my ‘keeper’ rate is fairly low. Which is fine with 36 exposures, but I would be a bit too reluctant to press the shutter if I was using a roll of portray and only had 10 or 12 exposures. I feel like 15-16 is a good compromise!

Undoubtably better image quality but for what I’m using it for - photographing family, friends etc - my ‘keeper’ rate is fairly low. Which is fine with 36 exposures, but I would be a bit too reluctant to press the shutter if I was using a roll of portray and only had 10 or 12 exposures. I feel like 15-16 is a good compromise!

Keeper rate increases with film size :D

Nothing beats the view through the RB view finder.

You must be doing it wrong, on some sheets* i got an almost 1:1 keeper rate, never got more than 3:10 on the rb and 35mm 5:36! :D

*don't ask about the other sheets....

But surely it’s oranges and apples - is a 35mm keeper the same as a 5x4 keeper? Perhaps 10 35mm keepers are equal to 4 6x7 are equal to 1 5x4.

Well, given the film area, 1 5x4 keeper is the same as 14 35mm keepers. And therefore 5x4 lets you get 14 times as many keepers per exposure :)

But surely it’s oranges and apples - is a 35mm keeper the same as a 5x4 keeper? Perhaps 10 35mm keepers are equal to 4 6x7 are equal to 1 5x4.

Sorry I was being facetious, you'll either get your shot on a sheet of film or you won't so on the sheets I keep I get 100% on the ones I don't its 0%. I'd rather not keep track of the £3 a shot failure rate.

What's a keeper? :(
In some cases horrors we should be ashamed of. This one sold to five different local newspapers back in the 1970s :wideyed:

Minolta SR1s 1976_06_27.jpg

Back