Where do you buy your memory cards from?

Name
Ravinder Bindra
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve had so many corrupt cards it’s getting ridiculous. I used to use mymemory.co.uk but in the last couple of years have started using Amazon and I’ve had several memory card (Sandisk SD cards) error messages over recent years. The Amazon link I was give to purchase genuine cards from was recommended to me and most have been fine. I do think I look after the cards well - storage wise and formatting them before use etc.
Can the camera cause issues and mess up the cards or have I just been unlucky or have I bought fake cards?

I normally buy Sandisk. I’ve just switched frokmNikon D750 bodies to Sony A7 IV in the last few weeks so not had a proper play about with the new camera yet but all the problems I had was with using my Nikon.

Thanks.

I only buy from CPC Farnell now

Free delivery on orders over £20 too

Not had any issue with the Sandisk ones from Amazon as opposed to Amazon Market place.

I had to buy a card last year when I bought my drone. Went Amazon and ended up with a fake one. Went to My Memory in the end.

I've just picked up an A7Riii so I might look into what my old A7 card actually is & see if I need a faster one now. It does work ok though.

The last couple of cards I’ve bought have been pro grade digital SD cards via Amazon. The seller has been pro grade themselves so that and the fact they aren’t a main stream seller like SanDisk there’s probably not as many fakes out there at the moment.

SD card from Fuji shop

CF card from Amazon

I've been very lucky with my cards - whether buy them off folk off here, in shops or on Amazon. While on Amazon I do check the sources. I've no need to buy any cards at the moment but if I do I will wait for the next 'Societies' trade show in Hammersmith where they always have good deals...

Amazon. Sold by Amazon rather than anyone in the marketplace. Have bought from 7day in the past but they don't seem as cheap as they used to be.

Amazon. Sold by Amazon rather than anyone in the marketplace. Have bought from 7day in the past but they don't seem as cheap as they used to be.

Just had a look at 7day and they don't seem to do SanDisk these days.

I have always bought SanDisk, usually from Wex or Amazon. However, I do not regularly buy such items. I have tended to buy what I need for a new camera initially then do not need to buy any more. I have never had a card fail yet.

Dave

Amazon, sold by Amazon. Touch wood, I`ve never had a bad one yet.

Some years ago at a Club Digital sub-group, I asked how many has suffered any failures or faults with memory cards. There were 30 present but only 7 had any problems. It turned out that the majority used top brands and purchased from reliable sources. When looked at in more detail, the 7 with failures bought cheap brands or it appeared that they had unintentionally bought fakes,

Dave

My Memory and 7 Day Shop - no failures to date. My Memory have been terrific and the prices are excellent.

No, they could be but why risk it?
Look for where both of the sold and dispatched are Amazon

It takes some doing sometimes, on that one scroll down to the “other sellers on Amazon” and click on the “compare all x options”
then go through the NEW ones using “see more” until you find the Amazon Amazon one

Attachments

• 1A2E5A38-E200-4E98-9922-AE562955110B.jpeg
    1A2E5A38-E200-4E98-9922-AE562955110B.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 4
I've had aa few from Carmarthen cameras, and Wex. No problems with those (touch wood) These days buying from Amazon is close to buying from Ali express. Just look at the lumen rating for torches :LOL: to see how well "policed" it's adverts are.

OP, I might wonder why so many corrupt cards seem to occur. It is my experience that memory cards are extremely reliable and I've never had one go faulty on me. That may be a reflection of how lucky I am with memory cards but it may also be a reflection on the equipment I'm using them in. Is it not possible that whatever you are using them in is damaging them?

I used them in my NikonD750 bodies. I don't know to be honest. I have now purchased 128GB Sandisk cards from Western Digital which I'm so far pleased with and believe they are genuine.

OP, I might wonder why so many corrupt cards seem to occur. It is my experience that memory cards are extremely reliable and I've never had one go faulty on me. That may be a reflection of how lucky I am with memory cards but it may also be a reflection on the equipment I'm using them in. Is it not possible that whatever you are using them in is damaging them?

I have found an issue if I read them in PC’s with different operating systems (I have Linux and Windows on the go) rather than anything to do with the camera.

Back