Where do you get your film & how do you look after it...

• Thread starter Rob.Richards
  • Start date
R

Rob.Richards

Firstly excuse the long title!

I seem to remember that film should be put in the fridge?!? Or am I completely way off?

So when I get my film (I am thinking Iwill get a little selection box to try out!) I wanted to know am I best getting it from the fujifilm/kodak website or does it not really matter? Once I have bought it where should I keep it!

Also if it is best kept in the fridge why do all the shops keep it on the shelves?!?!?

Reccomendations for suppliers and methods greatly appreciated!

Rob

I get most of mine from 7dayshop, and keep it in a sealed tupperware container in the fridge.

Most "Pro" film - Fuji Velvia etc keps better in the 'fridge - when my mate used to run a photo-processsing shop and sold film he'd keep enough "general use" film on the shelf for maybe a weeks worth of sales, and the rest of his stock was in a 'fridge in the back room.

(By general use I mean Kodacolour gold / Fuji Reala/sensia)

Fuji have recommendations on their site about storage here, Ilford recommend keeping their film in "a cool dry place 10-20 deg C in its original packaging"

dunno if you should keep film backs or even 35mm bodies in the fridge though....?

lulz...I wouldn't

condensation is a pain.

I like to keep my film in a light proof container, I don't always process film straight away and an exposed roll has no packaging, sometimes I get film new with no packaging, so lightproof is handy.
Anyway, there isn't that much about in black plastic and fridge friendly, but I did come across these @ £3 each....:).
Stores 40 rolls of 120, I dunno about 35mm I haven't filled it.

2s1fs.jpg

***Where do you get your film & how do you look after it..***

Well I'm just an amateur and also like testing old lenses with boring shots, so I buy from boot sales to ebay, and keep it in the fridge.......some of my worst results were from 35mm sealed out of date Kodak colour film from a boot sale for 10p each, but you know I've never bought a film that didn't give me a picture and in this case it was very grainy and colours had shifted because of bad storage, probably kept on the dashboard of a car.
...and recent excellent results were from 20rollsX35mmX36exp of out of date Fuji Reala for £15

I just developed a film that had been stuck in a camera for 13 years, it came out fine with great colours, I think its heat that affects the films more than anything else.

Thanks for all the comments - I will clear a space in the fridge (Just to make my wife really happy after buying a new camera!!!)

Thanks for the links, I have used 7dayshop before, just didnt think of them for film - but what do I know!!

oooooh I like those joxby, where'd they come from?

ummm.......Focus DIY, dunno what they're meant to be for..maybe crafts or something..??
I do know 99% of containers of any use are gonne be clear, or at least have a clear lid..:shake:

i have a small fridge in my room that i use just to store film. saves my mum going nuts and throwing out film to make room for food, she is quite clearly :bonk:

i get mines from 7dayshop but picked up few on ebay too for out of date stuff.

Film used to come from 7dayshop and is still in the fridge. Pretty sure it's all still OK - will have to let some come back up to temperature to check it! I keep it in its packaging - cardboard box and all until it gets used.

BTW, empty 35mm plastic tubs are just the right size to hold £2 coins - when full, a Fuji one holds £34.

Film will deteriorate over a time, with the everyday film it will have a longer life on the shelf as it is new, as it deteriorates it get near its optimum.
Pro film is at it optimum, for the chemicals on the emulsion.
If it is allowed to deteriorate you will not get the best out of it.
This is why you keep Pro film in the fridge, remembering to take it out the day before so you do not get any condensation on it.

Back