Votes: 4 19.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys following on from my 'Long way to go' post in which Chris (Photobeef) and I had a little chat regarding the best position to sit when shooting football.
I thought i'd post a little poll (hope the poll option works) to see where you guys sit.

Have a look at the following diagram

Now I currently sit at point A. Shooting with a 300mm + 1.4TC and a second body for goal mouth action.
To give you guys an idea of the size of the pitch I shoot at. The 420mm means that I can just fit both posts of the goal at the far end of the pitch.

Now Chris has suggested I sit at point B, but take off the 1.4TC as this means I can get good midfield action as well as fitting in the goal nearer point A.

Where do you guys sit, I know you pros have limitations at stadiums, but if you could choose to sit anywhere which of the 3 points would it be?

Please state your preferred position and lens combo

Cheers guys (y)

there is no straight answer... depends on the pictures you want.. if i was shooting a match wanting both teams wiht a 300 i would sit at c and no extender... 300 frames both goalmouths and if your at c then dugouts are opposite... if a 400 then a or b

lots of people will ahve different reasons for different positions.. you also have to take in where your allowed to sit... backgrounds... i mean A if the opposite stand is empty makes for poor pics

theres too many things to take into consideration to give a proper answer IMHO

mainly A, depends on the game, the number of people there and if i'm on a commission. B is ideal for good manager shots and you can still nail celes from there too

There's no option for "At home, with the TV on a different channel" ;)

B for me A if theres no A option.C can be a bit far from goals and celes.

Last edited:
I'll sit at position A most places, but for my teams home games i'll sit A in the first halfand B in the second, but the other side of half way(linesman at that side)

Often A, but a bit closer to the corner flag. Very rare to be able to sit at C as that'll be in front of the dugouts or opposite the TV cameras.

Otherwise, I'll be wherever the big agencies aren't in the hope I can get something a bit different.

As with Tobers, i normally sit in position A but nearer to the corner flag. If thats not allowed (some grounds i.e. Watford wont let you sit behind the goal) then position B.

Hi. With less restrictions in my club's league, I try all 3, depending on the action in the match. At 'C' I'm on the opposite side to the dugouts. 'A' where I usually start, then if the club's on the defensive, and most of the action is down the other end of the pitch, I will move to 'B' or 'C'. Problem with 'B' is that the pesky lineman often blocks your view. Never fails, though, wherever I think is a good position, the action is on the far side, back to me usually. You just have to get 'lucky'.

It's not so much hate, I just always preferred playing sports to watching them. Watching other people having fun isn't fun for me. :)

It's not so much hate, I just always preferred playing sports to watching them. Watching other people having fun isn't fun for me. :)

I'm probably the farthest from a football fan you'll come across - I sort of wandered into shooting football and while I wouldn't stay in to watch footie on the telly or go to a match as a spectator, I do love trying to capture the action and all that goes with a match. I'm actually having fun, really :) And I am beginning to learn the 'technical' stuff like 'offside' and 'corner' LOL

Last edited:
With A I can cover most of this half with a 70-200 on a 1.6 crop camera as the players are approaching.

Back