Where do you photograph

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
This may or may not work but i was thinking ( again ) :LOL: Loads of folks on here have favourite areas where they can go at certain times of the year to photograph birds and wildlife, i know i have. Anyway if your willing to share your experiences it may help others out.

I would say we need the species, the time of year, the area including landmarks to watch out for around that area ( road names would also help ).

I dont think there would be a massive increase of people visiting the area as the country is big and we are all widespread--so shouldnt make much of a difference except making it easier for everyone to plan.

There is no point telling folks about an area if the birds/animals are that far off they cant be photographed, this is a photography forum after all.

I will start off to let you see what i mean-

Species--Red Grouse

Area- Scotland,Findhorn Valley-Follow A9 to the Tomatin Services, across the bridge, turn left by the river, a few miles up the road you come to another bridge, take first right and your on moorland road to Farr ( all along this area are the Grouse )

Time to visit- Mid Feb until end of March

Should get decent pics with a 300mm lens but larger also helps.

Ok, your thoughts on this type of thing.

Last edited:
Being new to this forum and photographing birds, I don't have anything to suggest yet, but I am definitely subscribing to this thread for ideas!

Pennington Flash, near Wigan is a good starting point! Also Mere Sands Woods, Rufford, Lancs is one of my favourites!

Great idea, here is my local reserve....

Species- Waders

Area ( including road names where possible )- Pagham Harbour (Sussex)
link1 link2

You can park at the visitor centre on the way to Selsey, free parking and you can get a map and view latest sightings there.

Time to visit- Any time of the year but autumn - spring is the best.

For photography I would go at high tide as it pushes the birds towards you, a few hides to sit in or you can travel on foot around the harbour.

Lens focal length required- 18-300mm+!

I say 18 because it can be great for landscapes (sunset and sunrise)
But for birds you need at least 300mm+ as they can sometimes be quite far away.

Images- Both taken in December 09

IMG_0647cm.jpg

IMG_0705cm.jpg

Good spot for SEO in the winter

IMG_7572-4.jpg

Last edited:
Species- Bearded Tits

Area - RSPB Minsmere Suffolk

Time to visit- All year

Lens focal length required 500-800mm

4037284941_515265ce50.jpg

From the visitor centre head left towards the North wall. Reedbeds either side are good for the Beardies but a long lens is normally required as they can be at distance. I am an RSPB Minsmere volunteer so anybody wanting a guided tour can IM me :)

Last edited:
I would imagine you would need at least a 400mm lens. Which is the lens I use. As far as getting there is concerned I normally use the M20. As for road names I am at a loss sorry.
The main place to head for is Sheerness and Elmley is signposted just before you get to the new bridge.
Last week I saw a Male Hen Harrier there but failed to get a decent shot due to the bad light. There are lots of Marsh Harriers there but again bad light stopped play.
The reserve is closed on Tuesday. Hopefully that will help anybody who fancies the trip.

Cracking shot Prag (y)

Nice thread idea Mark, will do some over the weekend :)

drew

Species- most common UK birds, waterfowl, waders, migrants and birds of prey, with the occasional rarity - varies depending on time of year

Area - Belvide Reservoir, Staffordshire (West Midland Bird Watching Club - Permit Only)

Time to visit- All year round

Lens focal length required- 300mm from the hides especially the gazebo with the feeders in front, 500mm for stuff on the shoreline.

It is predominately aimed at Birding, however generally if you start at the East end (by the dam) and walk around the sun will always be behind you.

The new hide at the west end has two levels the lower one is ideal for photography, however the water level is still low, really needs to be higher to push the waders closer to the hide. It is filling up a bit, but is nowhere near normal winter levels.

The Walls, Mistley, Essex. Its a river near the estuary. It has loads of swans including a couple of black ones, which are attracted by the Maltings, Geese, Waders ( Dunlin, Red shank I think and others). Sorry I am not great at ID'ing them.You can drive and park free all along the Walls ( The Road Name) and there are seats so even disabled people like me can take pictures there.I only have a 70-200 lens but I can get shots. Probably 300 would be good.
Sue

Species-Dunlin, Redshank, Geese

Area ( including road names where possible )-The Walls, Mistley, Essex ( river near the estuary)--You can drive and park free all along the Walls

Time to visit-

Lens focal length required-200mm minimum but 300 and above would be better

Hope you dont mind Ladysue

Upton Warren in Worcestshire is a great place for allsorts really.There has been some great sightings of the bittern and of course the kingfisher.Otters have been spotted there,many water birds aswell and all the little birds including bullfinches.Sparrowhawks often appear there and it is also great in the summer for the macro toggers for the dragonflies.So really any time of year can be a good time.Focal length at least 300 but more if you have it would be better.

Species-kingfisher,bittern,bullfinches,Sparrowhawks Otters, various water birds

Area ( including road names where possible )-Upton Warren in Worcestshire

Time to visit-any time of year

Lens focal length required-300 but more if you have it would be better.

Kaz--just trying to keep everyone on the same format.:naughty:

St Marys Island Whitley bay

Waders, Dunlin, Purple Sandpiper, Knot, Sanderling, etc.

Time hour before high tide, find a rock and let them come to you

Lens, how brave are you a little wet feet never mattered

Also great for Lighthouse shots.

Species-Dunlin, Redshank, Geese

Area ( including road names where possible )-The Walls, Mistley, Essex ( river near the estuary)--You can drive and park free all along the Walls

Time to visit-

Lens focal length required-200mm minimum but 300 and above would be better

Hope you dont mind Ladysue

Not at all. I managed to get all the information in but not in the right order.

Back