Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
neg10.jpg

Shot at 2011-12-18

I think this was taken in the Yorkshire Dales/ Moors

Scanned from an old Ilford FP3 film (expiry date on the box Dec 1965)

Anybody recognise the place??

It definetly resembles limestone country ....I recall from many backpacking days in the Yorks Dales.
What may help is the fact that the film originated from a house clearance in Sowerby Bridge in Yorkshire and the other photos on the film include Harry Ramsdens at Guisley, Leeds and then some other images of York.
The dry stone walling resembles those of the Yorkshire dales too.
Malham area perhaps??

Definitely looks like the Malham area - think it may be taken from somewhere near Goredale Scar Campsite, the road it's on is either Goredale Lane or Hawthorns Lane iirc.

Have a look here and have a look with google streetview - you can see the hill formation in the distance - uunfortunately, I don't think the streetview car went all the way along Hawthorns lane, so I don't think you'll get an exact match for the image...

I think it may have been taken from just around the corner past the tractor...

hills.jpg

on second thoughts, looking at the 2 images one after the other - it may have been taken from further back down the road towards malham, and with a longer lens than the UWA that google streetview setup uses...

I'm getting a bit less confident with every passing minute now... but in my defence, the first time I went up there, I was 12, so that was a good 10 years or so after that film was produced... ;)

neg12w.jpg

Shot at 2011-12-19

Here's another shot from the same film ..

Hard to say really, quite a lot of the Yorkshire Dales looks like that :D i reckon TBY's guess of Goredale is a good stab at it :)

Hard to say really, quite a lot of the Yorkshire Dales looks like that :D i reckon TBY's guess of Goredale is a good stab at it :)

Well I've had a chance to develop the other films that came with this film and amongst the shots are two showing village roadsigns...One in Kettlewell, the other in Ramsgill.
Pretty much confirms what TBY said.
Thank you

Hmm, I think I've walked that path before, if I have it is definitely in the Yorkshire dales. It looks very familiar, and I think its around the malham area.

Looks like Buckden/Starbottom area to me, which is NW of Kettlewell.

That is an interesting photograph as it has changed a bit. There is now a trout farm/ fishery just over the wall called Kilnsey Park. The photo is taken on the main road (B6160) that runs up Wharfedale just past the road to Conistone and before Kilnsey.

If you look on Google street view you will be able to see where the photo was taken. There are a few trees in the way now but you will see the distinctive skyline.

Google link

Last edited:
I know the area very well having walked many a mile up there in past years and passed under Kinsley Crag as many times.
I don't know how long the trout farm has been there but I am sure it didn't exist last time I was up there which would be about 11 years ago.
Well done at pin pointing the location.

That is an interesting photograph as it has changed a bit. There is now a trout farm/ fishery just over the wall called Kilnsey Park. The photo is taken on the main road (B6160) that runs up Wharfedale just past the road to Conistone and before Kilnsey.

If you look on Google street view you will be able to see where the photo was taken. There are a few trees in the way now but you will see the distinctive skyline.

Google link

I have other shots from the same batch of films .....some of the locations are obvious as there are signs in the shot! lol such as Kettlewell, however there are some that I'm not sure about ......If you know the area very well and enjoy a search then I'll gladly post some of them.

I would certainly like to see more. If you could keep them in the order they were taken it could be helpful for identification.

My wife has just found a leaflet for Kilnsey Park that states it was opened in 1980. It has slowly been built up as a tourist attraction and now has an area with animals including Red squirrels. It is a good spot to stop for lunch or a coffee.

I would certainly like to see more. If you could keep them in the order they were taken it could be helpful for identification.

My wife has just found a leaflet for Kilnsey Park that states it was opened in 1980. It has slowly been built up as a tourist attraction and now has an area with animals including Red squirrels. It is a good spot to stop for lunch or a coffee.

Superb!....watch this space. I'll try get some of the other pics on here during the next few days.
I never knew the park ever existed ..really observant of me!, mindst you when I used to pass by there, I was on route to go walking/backpacking further afield.

watch this space. I'll try get some of the other pics on here during the next few days.
I never knew the park ever existed ..really observant of me!, mindst you when I used to pass by there, I was on route to go walking/backpacking further afield.

I look forward to seeing them. Even if the location can't be identified they should still show what it was like in the Dales during the 60's - quieter than today I am sure.

Like you I tend to be on my way somewhere (to fish or walk) and there may be photos of places I pass through but don't recognize but it will give me a reason to be more observant the next time I'm there.

Unless there is a specific feature it can be hard to be precise in the Dales but as others on here will have their own favourite places somebody may know it or like the photo above narrow down the location until somebody else can be more precise. Anyway it will be good fun.

Last edited:
ah... looks like I was at the wrong end of mastiles lane... knew it was somewhere up there just couldn't quite place it.

Took me a while to work it out, then read the rest of the thread and realised others already had! :p

I look forward to seeing them. Even if the location can't be identified they should still show what it was like in the Dales during the 60's - quieter than today I am sure.

Like you I tend to be on my way somewhere (to fish or walk) and there may be photos of places I pass through but don't recognize but it will give me a reason to be more observant the next time I'm there.

Unless there is a specific feature it can be hard to be precise in the Dales but as others on here will have their own favourite places somebody may know it or like the photo above narrow down the location until somebody else can be more precise. Anyway it will be good fun.

As promised here are some others.....these were much easier to locate. Nonetheless suspect they will be of interest as a comparison to "then and now"!

1. Harry Ramsdens. Such a shame to hear about the possible closure of this, the original outllet.....maybe there has been a change of mind??

neg3.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-02

2. York Minster

neg6.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-02

3. From what I can gather, This is Micklegate bar York City Walls.

neg4.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-02

4. This took a little more searching ....Looking up High Ousegate in York. The Midland bank building now being Waterstones bookshop.

neg5.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-02

5. Taken on the same film, after the York shots and before my original posting... I have no idea where this is!

neg9.jpg

I have another 3 films that show scenes of the dales whch I will upload in due course.....assuming that you're not bored senseless by then!! lol

It is a shame about Harry Ramsdens possibly closing. I drove past not so long ago and it was deserted. I guess the competition have just got better than them.

That last photo looked like Nidderdale to me which would fit with them driving from York through Pateley Bridge and crossing over into Wharfedale.

Assuming that is a railway at the bottom left of the photo it could be the old Nidderdale Line that is now closed.

So I think it was taken around about here which seems to match as although not clear the buildings in the middle could be the Bewerley Park Centre For Outdoor Education. As there are trees now at the side of the road the view is not clear from Google Streetview but the position of the railway, river and trees/telegraph posts seem to match. There is also a building further down but this is also no obscured.

Last edited:
It is a shame about Harry Ramsdens possibly closing. I drove past not so long ago and it was deserted. I guess the competition have just got better than them.

That last photo looked like Nidderdale to me which would fit with them driving from York through Pateley Bridge and crossing over into Wharfedale.

Assuming that is a railway at the bottom left of the photo it could be the old Nidderdale Line that is now closed.

So I think it was taken around about here which seems to match as although not clear the buildings in the middle could be the Bewerley Park Centre For Outdoor Education. As there are trees now at the side of the road the view is not clear from Google Streetview but the position of the railway, river and trees telegraph posts seem to match. There is also a building further down but this is also no obscured.

You're pretty good at this matching game lol....well done!
You certainly seem to have a reasonable knowledge of the area.
I'll get some more pics on here from one of the other films...this evening hopefully!

I've decided to put these two wedding shots on today from a film dated 1965.
I'm thinking they were taken at York Minster.
All these films were from a house clearance in Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire so perhaps the church is somewhere nearer to there. It does look to be a very large church, cathedral, minster!

neg2v.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-04

neg1.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-04

More dales photos tomorrow!

Some more shots from The Yorkshire Dales:

neg2.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-05

neg3i.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-05

neg5.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-05

neg9.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-05

neg12.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-05

No's 1 & 2 are without doubt Kettlewell

No3 is simply put on the possibly dictate the direction the person.family was heading before taking the waterfall shots in Nos 4 & 5

Somewhat of a long shot pin pointing the waterfall location ...Initially I thought Aysgarth but having looked up some images, the falls in these images are just tiny streams in comparison.
Perhaps Buckden or Cray area?

No's 1 & 2 are without doubt Kettlewell

No3 is simply put on the possibly dictate the direction the person.family was heading before taking the waterfall shots in Nos 4 & 5

Somewhat of a long shot pin pointing the waterfall location ...Initially I thought Aysgarth but having looked up some images, the falls in these images are just tiny streams in comparison.
Perhaps Buckden or Cray area?

1 & 2 are interesting as not much has changed.

No 3 is the B6160 heading towards Wensleydale from Buckden down Bishopdale. On Google streetview you can see the gateway on the right.

Perhaps the waterfall and bridge are Bishopdale beck. The size is about right. Or maybe another beck that enters the Ure. I have not explored that area much.

I'm afraid I can't help with the location of the wedding photos. I am sure somebody on this forum with an interest in religious buildings will know.

I find photos such as this fascinating. A moment somebody caught in time of happy days. It makes you wonder what happened to them after. I hope they had many more good times.

Again, thank you for your help.
It's pretty cool that you share a similar interest in locating old images.

Wouldn't it be lovely if somone was to see people in these shots and realise it is themselves or their relatives?!

I have some more to post from another two films, again from the same period 1965/66 ...hopefully find time during this weekend.

One of them is very interesting showing part of a graveyard in the foreground!

judging by the size of the church, it looks like either a cathedral (unlikely) or a large town church. in the second shot you can just see what looks like more church-like buildings in the top right of the frame

judging by the size of the church, it looks like either a cathedral (unlikely) or a large town church. in the second shot you can just see what looks like more church-like buildings in the top right of the frame

It was that second shot that made me think York Minster, going on the size of the building but I know there are some very large churches too....

Appologies for the delay in getting this pics up ......plans simply don't happen sometimes!
I didn't really want to post so many in one go but I think perhaps on this occassion it may help to work out the locations based on the possible route taken.
Anyway here we go with this film starting with two buildings that maybe private dwellings or perhaps relate to Harewood House in Leeds as some later shows a visit there:
I've posted the shots ain the order that they were taken on the film:

neg12.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg11.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg10.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg9c.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg7.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg6q.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

Nos 3 & 4 are without doubt Harewood House.

No 5 I don't know...possibly no longer standing as it was in ruins back then!

No6 A private home presumably but may still be around?

neg4.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg3.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

neg1.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-09

No 7 I've posted simply to try help join the route between the previous and the next shot

No 8 This one interests me greatly.....which graveyard is that taken from?

No 9 Outside a public house ...very doubtful it will be recognisable but who knows!

No 6 is a house at the top of Pool Bank near Leeds Bradford airport and I reckon No 8 is Middlesmoor Church graveyard in Nidderdale.

Incredible!....are you sure you didn't take these shots yourself!! lol....Without doubt you know the area very well.

I've got shots from one other film to post soon.

Incredible!....are you sure you didn't take these shots yourself!! lol....
Well I am old enough to have taken them but at the age I was then they probably wouldn't have turned out very well!

I thought the ruin looked to be at the side of the Harrogate to Harewood Road so had a look on google maps here and was very surprised to see a ruin - it must be the one.

I've just done a search and it is Harewood Castle - shows I do not know the area that well!

Last edited:
Well I am old enough to have taken them but at the age I was then they probably wouldn't have turned out very well!

I thought the ruin looked to be at the side of the Harrogate to Harewood Road so had a look on google maps here and was very surprised to see a ruin - it must be the one.

I've just done a search and it is Harewood Castle - shows I do not know the area that well!

That will be why it's still standing today then...listed building etc.
I'm a Yorkshire man myself and have walked many a mile in the dales but only actually lived in and around York/Leeds areas for a few years so although many names ring a bell and indeed some of the scenes, I am reliant on more "local" people like yourself with an increased knowledge of the area to pinpoint places.
Again a very well done!

I would love to know where the house is before Harewood and also the location of the wedding photos. I went into York the other day and had a walk around the outside of the Minster but the architecture would appear to be different. Wherever it is it must be popular for photography so one body should know.

As regards the pub in the last one - I may have. To conduct some research of pubs in the area :)

Stumped on the ones before Harewood. Have tried a few places with no luck....sadly there are a LOT of them type of houses round these parts.

Back