Where shall I post process

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been post processing my photos on my macbook, it's monitor has not had any sort of custom calibration done to it. On my macbook screen the colours of the photos look really good, however when I upload the photos to my site (www.michaelho.co.uk) some of them looks washed out, which is quite different to what I see in Lightroom on my macbook.

I also have a desktop pc connected to a tft monitor (HP1955) which is set to sRGB mode, when I access the site on this monitor the photos also looks washed out and if I post process the same photo in Lightroom on this PC I seem to get better colours but I'm not sure if it's only the screen that shows this difference in colour or other people's monitors too.

My question is on which machines should I post process on?

What colour space are you using in camera and what is the working space used during post? Are the images already in or converted to sRGB before you put them online?

If neither screen is calibrated then there's little to choose between them, they're both going to be wrong but probably in different ways.

ummm...how do I check all these things?
Colour space for camera?
and Working space?

I use Lightroom. I know that when I export in lightroom to CS3 for further processing I export it as sRGB. When I export photos from LR as jpegs I export them as sRGB.

However my site is auto-generated using the LR web function so I'm not sure what they output the files as?

I checked a couple of the shots on your website and they were sRGB.

Working space in camera only matters for jpegs, raw files have their own profiles and Lightroom uses the one that's defined in Adobe Camera Raw for your camera.

What s/w are you using where you say the colours look good compared to when they're uploaded?

It seems as though on both systems the profile associated with the monitor isn't correct and CS3/LR are managing the colours for that (incorrect) profile. Then when you view the image in an app that isn't colour managed you see the differences you describe.

Check what profile is associated with the monitor in control panel, etc. and report back.

On my macbook I process the photos in Lightroom and the colours look good. I use the web facility to create my site and when viewing the site on my mac it looks good. However it's when I access the site using my pc the colours look washed out.

My macbook screen is set on 'Colour LCD' colour and on my tft for pc it is set to 'sRGB'.
I also have the option to set my macbook screen to either 'sRGB' or 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1', however when I select these profiles it gives the screen a blueish tinge.

When you say the PC screen is set to sRGB do you mean in

Vista: Control Panel > Color Management
or
XP: Display Properties > Advanced > Color Management

The profile is sRGB?

If so this is the main part of the problem. sRGB is a working space for images, it's not a device profile. You need to install the right profile for the monitor, either from the CD that came with it or by downloading it from the maker's website.

But this won't fix viewing the website on your PC (unless you're running the beta of Safari for Windows) as IE/Firefox/etc. don't support colour management.

On your PC try following the instructions on this page:

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

To see if you can improve the situation.

Back