Where to add Contrast filters in my enlarger

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So my Durst F30 Enlarger is as basic as it comes.
There doesn't appear to be a place to add contrast filters. I have the Ilford education set.

Looking closer there seems to be a place above the condenser lens, would that be a normal place to put filters? See image 1.

But there also seem like the area in the negatives carrier would take a filter. See image 2.

Cheers.
Mark.IMG_20201013_163513_copy_1382x1843.jpgIMG_20201013_185235_copy_1382x1843.jpg

I'm not familiar with this enlarger, but in general there would be three variations with filters

1. A colour head, so no filters
2. A filter drawer to put them in (my Durst black and white enlarger has this)
3. Filters are attached under the lens.

It doesn't really matter, provided the filters don't noticeably soften image sharpness, and it may be that the enlarger doesn't have a space for them. Those springs on the neg carrier are just to help push it together & clamp the neg in place.

If you can, I'd probably put them just above the condenser lens, but being aware of my comment about sharpness.

It doesn't really matter, provided the filters don't noticeably soften image sharpness, and it may be that the enlarger doesn't have a space for them. Those springs on the neg carrier are just to help push it together & clamp the neg in place.

If you can, I'd probably put them just above the condenser lens, but being aware of my comment about sharpness.
If the filter is above the lens how can it soften the image? If the light is already filtered before hitting the film and lens surely it's doesn't effect the quality.

If the filter is above the lens how can it soften the image? If the light is already filtered before hitting the film and lens surely it's doesn't effect the quality.

It probably won't, but optics are sometimes devised to work with very specific elements in place (i.e. some lenses MUST have an internal filter of some for in place to operate correctly). Since you have a properly designed filter draw then no problem. :)

I certainly used the Ilford contrast filters with my Durst when I had it years ago. I thought that it was a F30 but have Googled and realised that it was the F305. However, while checking out, I looked at the F30 instruction book which explains that the filters are intended to be place above the condenser as you thought.

Dave

I'm not familiar with this enlarger, but in general there would be three variations with filters

1. A colour head, so no filters
2. A filter drawer to put them in (my Durst black and white enlarger has this)
3. Filters are attached under the lens.
Hi Everyone, I just acquired a Durst F30 today, just starting out with this and looking to make some basic colour prints, am I right in thinking I can just get going with this enlarger as it is? It did not come with any filters in the filter draw - and apparently as stated here the built in colour head on the F30 is enough , should I need any filters in the future could someone recommend a set for this enlarger ? many thanks any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi Everyone, I just acquired a Durst F30 today, just starting out with this and looking to make some basic colour prints, am I right in thinking I can just get going with this enlarger as it is? It did not come with any filters in the filter draw - and apparently as stated here the built in colour head on the F30 is enough , should I need any filters in the future could someone recommend a set for this enlarger ? many thanks any suggestions greatly appreciated

As long as the built in filters work then yes, you can get started.

Back