where to after the Canon 350D

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have used a 350D for many years and will keep it as it fits my underwater housing, but have now some good Canon lenses just bought the 100-400mm zoom, so wondered if it would be worth upgrading the body and what advantages as well as which body to go for. I enjoy wildlife and sport
I am fed up with the small screen on mine
doc

40D? Thats what I went for. Always said I would never get rid of my 350d, but I have given it to my Grandaughter, so I havn't really got rid as I am taking her out with me to give pointers!
Love the 40D, has the larger screen you want, all the lenses fit, and it's ended up lighter on my walks as I dont need the grip as I did on the 350d!

also if I used a 1.4 or 2x converter with the 100 to 400 zoom would the newer cameras be any advantage, appreciate I will lose the AF, though have been told by taping the pins on the lens you can overcome this:love:

I always find complaints about small screens difficult to relate to as many of us managed perfectly well without a display screen for decades. I only use mine for a very quick review and never for gauging sharpness or any other technical factor.

Anyway, if you do want to buy another camera the first thing to decide is xxxD/xxxxD or xx/xD depending upon the size and handling characteristics that you prefer.

Last edited:
Well there are plenty of options when looking second hand, there are a few 50D's about that sit nicely below the top of your budget, a 60D at mifsuds for £700 mint........or to throw in a complete wild card a used 1Dmk2 at £700 (probably more than you are looking for but it shows you what's available in your budget).

Or you could go with a 40D saving about £300 to put towards another lens.

All would have a good advantage in the AF over your 350D especially the 1 series which coincidently will AF with the 1.4x.

Well it was a wild card while I was typing it.

Last edited:
Well there are plenty of options when looking second hand, there are a few 50D's about that sit nicely below the top of your budget, a 60D at mifsuds for £700 mint........or to throw in a complete wild card a used 1Dmk2 at £700 (probably more than you are looking for but it shows you what's available in your budget).

Or you could go with a 40D saving about £300 to put towards another lens.

All would have a good advantage in the AF over your 350D especially the 1 series which coincidently will AF with the 1.4x.

Well it was a wild card while I was typing it.

Thanks, didn't realize that I could use the 1.4 converter with the AF on the 100 -400 zoom

A 2nd hand 40D is a great camera and def worth looking out for, as is the 50D. Both are larger bodies than your 350D - for me, was very nice.

Always said I would never get rid of my 350d, but I have given it to my Grandaughter, so I havn't really got rid as I am taking her out with me to give pointers!
Love the 40D, has the larger screen you want, all the lenses fit, and it's ended up lighter on my walks as I dont need the grip as I did on the 350d!

I said / did the same with my 300D - my daughter now has it and loves it and is a great weight / size for her (y)

Ive just gone from the 350D to the 40D myself and found a great improvement, mainly the low light foucusing and so much less noise at higher ISO`s. I notice you say about the screen, well the i havnt got them both to compare now but the 40D`s screen seems so much nicer to look at compared to my old one.

Back