Where to buy Ultra Pol Polarisers & other filter questions

Edit My Images
No
Sorry if any of these questions have been posted before. I did do a quick search.

1) Where's a good place/site to buy an Ultra Pol Polariser in the UK (or that will post to the UK)? How much should I expect to pay?

2) Can someone post or link to a couple of images (with/without) that show Pro-Mist filters in action? How much roughly do these cost?

3) As above but for Ultra Contrast filters.

Thanks guys. No prizes for guessing who's been reading the filter guide on this site :)

7dayshop sell Tiffen filters, chep too, so try them first...if that turns up nothing, email tiffen for a list of authorised dealers and they should give you the info you need!

I don’t know of anyone that uses a Ultra Polarizer over standard circular polarizer although I am sure there will be some. Do you already own a circular polarizer as the beauty of these is you can see how much they are affecting the final image as you turn it? Judging from mine I would never need a more extreme example.

Pro-mist filters are a filter that is used in film production mainly although there is no reason why it couldn’t be used for stills. What you will find though is that this kind of effect will be easy to duplicate during post processing using Photoshop or PSP. As most digital photographers now see the software package as part of their kit, this is the modern preferred method of creating these finishes. It saves money for many different filters and saves you from having to carry them around with you as well.

If you are going down the adding in filters route, stick with what most would call essential one and the ones that do work that you would find very difficult to duplicate in a software package afterwards. Circular polarizer’s, neutral density filters to allow for longer time exposures, and a couple of different strength natural graduated filters to hold back the sky when shooting landscapes.

You may also like to look at something like the Cokin filter system as you can slot in virtually any type of filter (of the right size) or multi stack different filters and it then connects to your lens via an adaptor ring. You just buy different size rings, one for each of your lenses and then the same filter/s can be used which is a lot cheaper than buying individual filters for all your different lenses.

Like EosD I can’t tell you where to get the Tiffen filters from but you can try http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/ which stock probably the widest range at the most competitive prices inc the Cokin system.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers for that Steve. I guess that answers my questions pretty neatly. I have a circular polariser for my kit lens. I've yet to get one for the 50mm f/1.8.

I also have a cokin system which is on semi-permanent loan from a photographer mate of mine. I've had a quick play with some gradiated filters. I'm not sure how much I'll use it. Might get a starlight filter for it.

The main thing at the moment for me is working on fundamentals I guess. I need to get the hang of post-processing too. I keep seeing nice pictures that are basically just snapshots taken on the stree or of a building but they have a really nice look to them which I'm sure must be down to some sort of processing.

fingerz said:
Had a look on 7dayshop but they only have Tiffen filter kits, not individual filters. And the kits don't seem to have Ultra Pols in them anyway.

I can confirm they don't...I bought that kit from 7 day shop.
Damned good value for money all the same.

yeah the kit i got was great! nice filters in it too...

contact a few manufacturers if you get no joy

Back