Where to buy used

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll shortly be looking to get set up with my first DSLR equipment (I'm using a cheap compact at the moment) and will be looking to buy used equipment. I am aware of MPBphotographic and wexphotographic as well as ebay and gumtree. I suppose these should be enough but I'm wondering if there are any other places where I could be looking, I do like a bargain! :)
I'll be looking for a Nikon D3100 or possibly D90 with something like a 18-55 zoom and maybe a 35mm f1.8 lens.

I'm assuming the above dealers will be reliable but also thinking that in a private sale I might pick up some 'extras' thrown in (flash, tripod and the like.) This will be my first purchase of 'serious' equipment so any advice will be appreciated. I don't have a budget but I'm expecting to be spending around £200 to £400 initially, maybe more for an exceptional bargain! :)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

You will always find a decent purchase on here Steve. The for sale columns on TP are my first reference.

You will always find a decent purchase on here Steve. The for sale columns on TP are my first reference.

Thanks. I'd love to but I'm afraid I'm fairly new here and won't have access to that Forum for more than a month yet - FAR too long to wait for my new goodies! :)

I generally try to steer clear of Gumtree for my photographic purchases (bad experiences stick with you), but I have used MPB very recently and had a very good experience with them. Ive also used Wex and Digital Depot for second hand gear in the past, again with no complaits. You could also look at Mifsuds or Grays od Westminster, although the latter do tend to be a little more expensive than the others.

Last edited:
My advice to you then for used guaranteed, non grey imports, Nikon cameras would be without any doubt MPB Photographic, Gumtree you could quite likely find not quite honestly aquired goods IMHO.:nikon:

my advice would be only purchase from a shop that you can view the items in or describe the item well, I purchased a refurbed 700d and sent it back as it was not as described and had I seen it in a shop would not have bothered and that was from a reputable dealer. no problem with the return after a couple of calls.

I have used Mifsuds in Brixham for secondhand (as well as new) items and they have been fantastic, free next day delivery, warranty and the camera and lens have been brilliant. BTW I don't work for them just a happy customer. A friend of mine bought a Canon camera From WEX for in excess of £1000 and he was pleased with that. It is luck of the draw but I won't buy or sell for that matter on Gumtree and the like. TOOOOO RISKY!!

My opinion for what it is worth.

Trev.

Ahoy!

If you're open minded and will at least look at other options, then for your budget you can buy a Sony A700 DSLR or maybe a Sony A33, A55 or A58 SLT models. The kit lenses (there are two: 18-55 and 18-70mm) aren't that bad at all, though the 18-55mm is regarded at the better of the two, though TBH, I would never buy a standard kit lens as a body only option is the best option as you can then add the lens(es) you need as the kit lens is very limiting and you'll outgrow it after a few days, though if you do need a general WA short zoom or kit lens alternative, there are many options, though from personal experience, the Sigma AF 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5 DC Macro (Mk 1: the macro = very close focus = almost touching = incredible) or the Tamron SP AF 17-50/2.8 XR LD Di-II XR (IF) Aspherical (A16) are widely regarded as excellent optics, though there is a later Sigma AF 17-70mm F/2.8-4 DC OS HSM model, and if you click my sig links, you can see examples taken using the A700 and the Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, so you can judge for yourself how good the Sigma lens is on the A700. I preferred it over the Tamron as rarely will anyone use F/2.8 so will have to be stopped-down to at least F4 to optimise sharpness, colour and bokeh whereas the Sigma doesn't need any adjustments, and the extra 20mm range is far more useful than a constant aperture, but that's my own opinion and may not be the same as others, though not everybody will have used both or other combination, so I'm talking from personal experience.

The camera and lenses mentioned are all APS-C format. Arguably Nikon have the best high ISO noise handling algorithm for low light shooting, but Sony have a huge back-catalogue of lenses from Minolta, so with the in-body stabilisation, there's no need to buy in-lens stabilised lenses, though I think in-lens stabilisation is marginally better than in-body subject to lens type and subject type, otherwise like Pentax/Samsung, in-body stabilisation is a very handy feature, though also consider accessory and lens costs. So, that's my tuppence worth.

Ffordes......Highly recommended.

I wouldn't recommend them... I bought a 24-70 f2.8 from them for £700 described as in excellent condition, it arrived with the auto/MF switch broken and the appearance that parts were glued, was sent straight back to be repaired (first mistake - should have taken the refund) they gave me the impression on the phone that I had broken it (very poor customer relations), came back from repairs a few weeks later, and the lens barrel had a 'droop' - when in 24mm (lens fully extended) the barrell drooped, meaning that the quality of the photos were poor. Many photographs and evidence later, they took it back for repair. 2 months later I get it back, no droop just poor quality. My CPS rep advised me to get rid of it.

Eventually sold it onto a 2nd hand camera store in Cardiff for £500. And bought a brand new 24-70 f2.8 from Wex for ~£900 at the time. Might be a one off experience, but it goes to show the respect Ffordes show 2nd hand gear buyers if there's a glitch.

That's a shame about Ffordes, i used them last year for a lens and it came better than described but then i didn't have to deal with the customer support etc.

I've also used Wex in the past and would recommend them, they offer 12 month warranties too which is nice. MPB also good,had a problem with a camera they sent me due to some corrosion on the lens mount but they swiftly replaced it with the best model of the same camera they had in stock (better than i had paid for) which i thought was a nice touch after being disappointed by the first camera.

Do you have a London Camera Exchange near you? Always worth a look - never had any problems with them in the past although I tend not to use my local branch as they are quite small (still helpful though) and there are 3 other branches within an hours drive of me.
Jessops take in used gear for part ex but I have no idea what they do with it as I've never seen any of it for resale.

I've used here (lots) and SRS Microsystems - good experiences with both. Also had good experience selling to MPB, but not bought from them... yet.

That's a shame about Ffordes, i used them last year for a lens and it came better than described but then i didn't have to deal with the customer support etc.

I had a lens from Ffordes that arrived without functional AF recently, so slightly weary of their testing. Disappointing but they did sort the return and refund extremely quickly, so no complaints on the customer services side.

MPB every time. I've both bought and sold with them several times - had one minor problem with a cheap Canon SLR (for a school) and they replaced it with a more expensive one without a question. When selling to them, I mis-labelled a mark 2 Canon extender as a mark 1 and they spotted the error and paid the higher price.

Back