Beginner Where to find photographers who will help you get better

Name
Gerry
Edit My Images
No
I'm keen to utilise my camera and learn from others, my theory isn't great but I learn better by doing, I really want to get into lighting and portraits so anyone or advice much appreciated

Welcome :)

To answer your question: Here!

Post some shots in the right sub-forum, ask for guidance and as long as you're prepared to take it on board you'll learn masses...

Between that, books, youtube vids and the like, you'll see your photography progressing in no time. There's no substitute for getting out there and taking photos though.

Ideally shoot with someone and learn, I'll get some pix up, but trying to work out how to link my photo library. I'm based in Herts

Have you looked for any courses being run locally? You could also try watching some videos on YouTube. That's where I learned alot.
Yes, but nothing nearby, I live quite away from things. I'm exploring videos on YouTube, thanks

I joined one of the local camera clubs soon after purchasing my first DSLR three years ago. Initially, I received a lot of help and information but have now reached a plateau with this club and find that I am being overtaken by others who have scored lower throughout the year, so it would appear politics are alive and well in some camera clubs and I find the experience demotivating. So I started attending weekly informal shoots at the nearest photo studios where I have met some great photographers and models and learn more during each 3 hour session than I would in months at the camera club. They have freely offered advice on equipment, lighting, posing and I can measure my progress by comparing my shots with theirs. There is also a great deal of good natured banter. This works for me because I especially enjoy controlled light photography, either portraits or still life but it would not especially help somebody with an interest in say landscape photography. So depending on your particular photography interests, it might be worth sounding out local studios to see if they hold similar informal club nights.

Have you had a look at the meeting place sub-forum? http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/meeting-place.45/

There are quite often studio meets etc going on amongst members and everyone's welcome to join in.
If there's nothing in your area at the moment, you could also start up a thread of your own - basically saying what you said in your OP.
There might well be a few people in your area interested in meeting up / sharing advice and tips etc.

Creativelive and craftsy are useless for deaf people (like me) as they do not have subtitles :(((

Ideally shoot with someone and learn, I'll get some pix up, but trying to work out how to link my photo library. I'm based in Herts
Where a bouts in Hertfordshire are you?

Creativelive and craftsy are useless for deaf people (like me) as they do not have subtitles :(((
It might be worth sending them an email to see if they can include a subtitled version for the hard of hearing.

Back