Where to find port settings on Windows 7 (resolved)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to follow instructions to adjust gimbal settings via my computer, I have got to a stage that is asking for "port settings" in order to determine the "Com number". The instructions say that it can be found by going to Computer....Device Manager...Ports (Com & LPT) but I don't have this tab. Can my "Com Number" be found anywhere else? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

click start/ right click computer/ manage/ device manager/ mine is sixth from the bottom in the list on the right hand side

OU4gUsw.jpg

Have you actually got a COM port ;)

I've just had a quick look at the video and it looks like you haven't installed the USB driver which you had to download.

It looks like their USB driver will simulate a COM port.

You also need to plug in your USB connector. (Not the gimbal)

Last edited:
I've just had a quick look at the video and it looks like you haven't installed the USB driver which you had to download.

It looks like their USB driver will simulate a COM port.

You also need to plug in your USB connector. (Not the gimbal)
Yes I've downloaded the USB driver software and unzipped the file and I need to put the "COM" number in the box to continue.

screen3_zpspk757mag.png

Last edited:
Yes I've downloaded the USB driver software and unzipped the file and I need to put the "COM" number in the box to continue.

screen3_zpspk757mag.png

Okay, you've downloaded and unzipped the driver, but you need to install it. 1:18 in the video. Looks like there are two files. You need to choose one to install based on your OS. Looks like either 32bit or 64 bit.

Once you've installed that your com port should appear in the device manager.

Most gimbals have something called a UART on them. You plug them in via USB and on a good day it installs a virtual serial port when it detects it. This doesn't appear to be happening in your case. What make/model is the gimbal?

How will that help if there are no com ports?
It depends what the full question is. If the driver installer wants to create a virtual COM port, it might be asking for the number to assign it. Or it might not be doing that and instead asking what COM port the gimbal is attached to. We don't know.

Okay, you've downloaded and unzipped the driver, but you need to install it. 1:18 in the video. Looks like there are two files. You need to choose one to install based on your OS. Looks like either 32bit or 64 bit.

Once you've installed that your com port should appear in the device manager.

Elliot, I have just installed the USB driver software and got a pop up confirming the install was successful and that I can connect the gimbal, but as this screenshot shows there is still no COM port showing in manager.

screen4_zpst3l4tdze.jpg

I am now faced with this box that is asking for the COM port in order to carry out the adjustments but without entering the unknown COM port I can't press the start button.

screen5_zpsofxckg61.jpg

I'm baffled by the whole thing. I just want to alter the heading setting that you see in the box from normal to fast.

I do quite a lot of work with certain niche field instruments a bit like this and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions exactly to the letter and I mean exactly.

It looks like as suggested you need to first get the USB to Serial adapter installed and working, forget the gimbal whatever it is until you have that step sorted.
Once that is sorted you can then move on.

Did you plug the gimbal in or just the USB adapter?
The video says you should not connect the gimbal.
Problem solved! I started all over again and when I got to the stage of plugging in the adapter the manager screen still didn't show any port settings. I went back to watch the video again for a couple of minutes and when I returned to the manager screen it was showing the com port as COM3 after putting this in the box I was able to do the calibrations. Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help it was much appreciated.

Problem solved! I started all over again and when I got to the stage of plugging in the adapter the manager screen still didn't show any port settings. I went back to watch the video again for a couple of minutes and when I returned to the manager screen it was showing the com port as COM3 after putting this in the box I was able to do the calibrations. Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help it was much appreciated.

Probably just took Windows a little while to detect the adapter and install the device.

Back