Where to get my picture printed

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya,
I am pretty much a novice that has just recently got back into photography, i have managed to capture an image that i am quite happy with, i want to get it blown up to a decent size and have it framed, my question is, do the cheap printing shops (asda etc) do decent quality prints, or am i better going to a proper photographers? or are they all the same quality?
thanks

Have used DSCL for the first time this week very pleased with the results have tried others & these are by far the best

You tend to get what you pay for, however the top labs are expensive. DSCL I found to be good, reasonably priced and feedback on other forums is positive. There also several framing and mounting options, which you will find on the DSCL website.

Hi Dean i would use one of the "middle of the road" printers, as you say your new to this and we don't know the quality of your work this is not a DIG just some friendly advice if the picture is not as good as you may think it is it may not be worth spending £50-100 on. try someone like Costco i hear they do a decent job for a lot less than the pro developers. jmho cheers mike. you could put it up for some critique then you'll defineately know if its good enough. ;)

Another vote for DSCL, I've used them for years now and never had a problem.
Good quality for not a lot of money.
Depends how large you wish to print Dean, but you wouldn't go wrong with a decent sized print of around 15"x10" to get a feel for how your image prints.
It'd only cost you about £4.00 incl p&p.
I generally go for lustre but at those prices you could try gloss as well then make a choice should you wish to print larger.

+1 DSCL
Good prints, customer service, reliability, turn around time.
Not as saturated canvases for landscapes, but decent for portraits.

I use DSCL nearly every week - consistently happy with their service, and now, although not promised, they try to return photographs the next working day.

+1 dscl

I would order in more than one paper if you are unsure as low volume costs are dominated by postage- title the prints with the filename and suffix for the paper to let you tell the difference- give away tthe one you dont want

What about canvas guys? i am still toying as to which picture to get printed, and whether to go for gloss or lustre, but my mate recommends canvas can be quite appealing although you lose picture quality? thoughts?

I am having a print to canvas done at the moment. Most will only do it from a Jpeg image so you ned to find a proper place to do it for you. They one i am hving done is about half as big again as A2 size paper and costing £90. They will work off a RAW-TIFF or Jpeg and do it in Matt or gloss finish. Having visited the premises they seem to know what they are doing not some high street knock it outquick outfit, they want a week to do the job properly. They are on the south coast so a bit too far for you I guess.
They have a choice of all three mediums as I left a CD with them and they will use the best from my nikon D800 large files

Link if your interested

http://martelcolourprint.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=22
You can always email them

Last edited:
Back