Where to get shutter count...... 7d mk2

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am trying to get a shutter count on a canon 7d mk2. I am going round in circles trying. I have a5d mk2 that I found a website to get a shutter count but it doesn’t support 7d mk2 . Does anybody know of a site please.

Thankyou for the replies. I did try downloading “ free shutter count “ but for some reason on my laptop it just wouldn’t work. I don’t mind paying to get the info but even that seems quite hard to find.....I did come across a thread ( not on TP) somewhere saying that canon makes it very difficult to get a shutter count on 7d mk2. :(

Thankyou for the replies. I did try downloading “ free shutter count “ but for some reason on my laptop it just wouldn’t work. I don’t mind paying to get the info but even that seems quite hard to find.....I did come across a thread ( not on TP) somewhere saying that canon makes it very difficult to get a shutter count on 7d mk2. :(

I got it on my 7Dii very easily. Had to buy an app for a few quid, but I have a Mac so it was a Mac app.

Sure you must be able to get something for windows.

Edit. Free shutter count will work, but it’s not free. I remember downloading this and it only gives you the last few digits of your count. You have to pay to see the full digits. I bailed at this point and paid for somebody else’s software, as to me that’s just bloody cheeky, but if it works for you it may be worth spending a few quid.

http://www.freeshuttercount.com/

Last edited:
Yeah, it says it's free up to the first 1000 shots, after which it's $7 to see the full count.

if you have access to a mac it can tell you the shutter count

load the pic onto the mac
open up the pic with preview
go to the top of the pic to the tool bar
click on tools
click on inspector
go to the second icon called get info
click on the tab that says exif

all the information is there
let me know if you get stuck

Try downloading Kuso exif viewer, in the dropdown list ( click over unedited photo after download in the dropdown list) and you should get all the information you want .
you should get this in Kuso and more if you tick the square at the top left in Kuso

Standard Information
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D810
Software: Ver.1.13
ImageSize: 7380x4928
CreateDate: 2018:06:04 13:25:26
ModifyDate: 2018:06:04 13:25:26
DateTimeOriginal: 2018:06:04 13:25:26
ExposureTime: 1/640"
Aperture: F8.0
MaxAperture: F2.8
DepthOfFocus: 0.77 m (1.20 - 1.98)
CircleOfConfusion: 0.030 mm
HyperfocalDistance: 6.01 m
ExposureProgram: Manual
ExposureBiasValue: 0
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: Off, Did not fire
ISO: 160
WhiteBalance: Auto1
FocalLength: 38.0 mm
FocalLength35efl: 38.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 38.0 mm)
SensingMethod: One-chip color area
SceneType: Directly photographed
ColorSpace: Adobe RGB
NoiseReduction: Off
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
ShutterCount: 2451
LensSpec: 24-70mm f/2.8 G

Last edited:
These methods won't work with the 7D Mark II. The shutter count is apparently not in the exif data.
Thanks, I did try the Mac preview method (thanks @holty) and couldn't see anything on shutter count...

If you want a free solution and you don't mind something a bit technical, you could take a look at gphoto2. It's generally run under Linux/Unix (a bootable live CD or USB will do), but various sites have instructions for building and running it under OS X and Windows.

Last edited:
Kuso is getting a bit long in the tooth now as it hasn't been updated for almost ten years and the home web site no longer exists. I find Picture Information Extractor (PIE) from www.picmeta.com digs a lot deeper into the available information.

Even a current exif utility (ExifTool, which PIE uses under the hood, is generally the most up to date) won't help here - it looks like Canon simply doesn't record the shutter count in 7D Mark II image files. The programs that do work get shutter count directly from the camera over USB.

Thinking about this, I don't understand why Canon make shutter count so awkward to access.

I can recommend THIS, used it on 7DMkII and 5DMkIV.

You have to pay for it, can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot...............we're careful here in Yorkshire! lol

scroll down the info its called image number

post your last pic taken i will tell you the shutter count

Intriguing, image number I would've perceived as the "image number" whereas the shutter count is typically and potentially a significantly higher number.

The last number by individual file number if you chimp to delete is not necessarily the equal of the shutter count!

PS though @realspeed post #10 for a Nikon states shutter with no file number!?!

Last edited:
Whatever the image preview inspector shows for 7D Mk II images, it won't be the shutter count. The inspector is just another metadata viewer, and this camera doesn't record shutter count in image metadata. Lots of other cameras (e.g. Nikons) do record shutter count values that can be viewed with the inspector, of course.

your right it comes up as "0"

wonder why canon are different ?
Indeed! I don't understand why Canon don't make the information more readily available. Lightroom says I have about 20k images with a 7DII tag, so that's probably not far from the real value.

I'm going to re-open this thread because i can't find any way of getting a shutter count for a Canon 5d2.

I tried direstudio.com and it only seems to work on mac's. and tried several others (including eosmsg) none of which seem to work for me.

Can anyone help?

Yes. Put magic lantern on it and it tells you exact shutter count and how many times you put it into live view / video.

I done it dozens of times and it never broke my camera. I installed it and uninstalled it on a 7d mk 1 twice, the second time being yesterday.

as far as I,m aware canon have disabled the ability to obtain a shutter count via software in most of there recent cameras the 7dmk2 being one of them . so your chasing a ghost in the machine .

I would be vary wary of downloading FreeShutter Count it installs a secondary program invisibly in the background

19/10/2020 21:27:03
Malware "Behavior.TrojanDownloader" in "D:\Program Files (x86)\freeshuttercount\FreeShutterCount.exe" quarantined by user DESKTOP-L6J1RFK\HAYDN

Back