Where to get velvet light seal

Kei

Name
Kyle
Edit My Images
Yes
My M645 1000S has a light leak as the foam seal around the hinge of the film door has started to disintegrate. The foam is from a replacement seal kit I fitted a fair few years ago. I'd prefer to use velvet if I can as I've found it lasts significantly longer than foam.

Problem is I've not been able to find any sources as my google fu seems to have failed. Does anyone know if this exists and where I can obtain some?

search on eBay for "camera foam seals" and you'll see several retailers selling a varied assortment of light seal replacement kits

EDIT: My appologies, having just re read your opening post you mention velvet…...Now that I don't know about but the foam seals that I've mentioned are generally pretty good

Last edited:
The foam seals I used to reseal the 1000S have lasted around 9 years and I believe were bought from jon goodman on ebay. Not terrible, but not as long as the original foam seals and miles off velvet. I'd hoped that I could get velvet this time as they seem to last almost infinitely better than foam. My 50's Franka rolfix folder has velvet and is still light tight 60 years on.

The foam seals I used to reseal the 1000S have lasted around 9 years and I believe were bought from jon goodman on ebay. Not terrible, but not as long as the original foam seals and miles off velvet. I'd hoped that I could get velvet this time as they seem to last almost infinitely better than foam. My 50's Franka rolfix folder has velvet and is still light tight 60 years on.

Fair enough but 9 years aint so bad …...I'm surprised they have only lasted that long tbh but saying that does anything last any length of time nowadays.....possibly not even "modern" velvet!

I’d be happy with 9 years out of a set of seals. All my replacement seals were supplied by Jon Goodman, I’m not sure when I first started using them but the oldest ones must be coming up to 10 years old now, I best keep an eye on them.

You should be able to get velvet ribbon from any fabric store... but if the camera originally had foam it's best to use the same (the gaps tend to be different).

My M645 1000S has a light leak as the foam seal around the hinge of the film door has started to disintegrate. The foam is from a replacement seal kit I fitted a fair few years ago. I'd prefer to use velvet if I can as I've found it lasts significantly longer than foam.
It seems to me that velvet might be quite a bit deeper than foam seals, might mean doors not closing properly. Your initial post suggests you've already done this, however. Could you tell us more?

You should be able to get velvet ribbon from any fabric store... but if the camera originally had foam it's best to use the same (the gaps tend to be different).
Good point, not 100% certain what was originally fitted anymore as it's been too long. I have the feeling that it was probably foam. Thickness is something I was wondering about. The standard seal kit has foam on both sides of the hinge and they are ~1mm thick spongy foam.

It seems to me that velvet might be quite a bit deeper than foam seals, might mean doors not closing properly. Your initial post suggests you've already done this, however. Could you tell us more?
I've not has to replace the seals on a camera with velvet before, that said, I don't have many cameras that use it. From what I've seen, it seems to last very well.

I may have to accept that this may be a once a decade job.

velvet lace from a haberdashers might serve.

Back