Where to go from Nikon D7200?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct? It's crop sensor and full-frame will provide better image quality, bigger sensor, more light,... I think after a year or two I might make the move anyway.

My thoughts were sell the D7200 now, while it's still new and before I invest in lenses, add more money and get a full frame camera. I also think the Canons are more popular? Not that I care though - I like the Canon grip and Zoom in being just behind the shutter and ISO control being in the same area and not all the way to the left where I would require my left hand as well to shoot.

The main criteria is full-frame, image quality, Wi-Fi (yes, big deal) in that price range, maybe a bit higher. I can buy secondhand, it's fine by me, but let me know what to check for.

My style of shooting is around 14mm-50mm (full frame calculations) which translates to 10mm-30mm on crop so ultra wide, wide, street, some portraits, social media photography.

Any help?

I thought of the Canon 6D, but I have no clue yet, it's a bit old.

Thanks in advance,

My style of shooting is around 14mm-50mm (full frame calculations) which translates to 10mm-30mm on crop so ultra wide, wide, street, some portraits, social media photography.

Not sure you need a FF body but if you must have one...

I'd look at following - Nikon D750, D810, Sony A7, A7II, A7R (with current cash back offer you won't get a better sensor than A7R at £879), pentak K1.

Sounds as though you like spending money! Spending money doesn't equate to good pictures. The advantages of FF over crop are very slight, and for the type of work you are doing, will be completely indiscernible. Social media - FF would be pointless. For street, the larger, heavier body would be a liability, as you need to be discreet. Portraits? Get an old film camera. You could pick up a good F3 for a couple of hundred quid. Or just use the D7200, by all accounts a superb camera.

What are you not happy with regarding your D7200?
Id say get out there and take lots of great images. It's a fantastic camera.

Not sure you need a FF body but if you must have one...

I'd look at following - Nikon D750, D810, Sony A7, A7II, A7R (with current cash back offer you won't get a better sensor than A7R at £879), pentak K1.

Sounds as though you like spending money! Spending money doesn't equate to good pictures. The advantages of FF over crop are very slight, and for the type of work you are doing, will be completely indiscernible. Social media - FF would be pointless. For street, the larger, heavier body would be a liability, as you need to be discreet. Portraits? Get an old film camera. You could pick up a good F3 for a couple of hundred quid. Or just use the D7200, by all accounts a superb camera.

It certainly is, I actually miss mine ... if only it had the AF of the D500. :)

Thanks for your prompt responses!
I thought FF catches more light and provides better image quality but the percentage of better, that I don't know. Maybe 30-40%? Sharper images and better light? Like I said, I might know how to take a picture but I don't know much about equipment.
What set me off from mirrorless before this purchase was mainly the battery, I don't want to carry 3 batteries with me. With the DSLR, I'm as free as a bird, in fact, I haven't charged it in a week and I've been taking 100 pics every day... That being said, the Sony A7 II was my prince charming a month ago.

What are you actually doing with those 100 images per day? If you're not pixel-peeping or printing them to a large size you simply won't see any difference in quality between APS-C and FF.
For what you're doing I suggest buying a Nikon 10-24mm or 12-24mm and concentrate on the pictures, not the equipment. Also, post a few in the General section for critique to see if you're heading in the right direction.

I thought FF catches more light and provides better image quality but the percentage of better, that I don't know. Maybe 30-40%? Sharper images and better light?.....

I very much doubt it is the realms of anything like 30 or 40%. You'll probably have some improvement in high ISO performance, and perhaps dynamic range, but for normal purposes the differences will be minute to zero. Unless you are a pro or printing wall-sized images, and enjoy lugging vast and heavy equipment about, I'd Stick with the D7200.

I very much doubt it is the realms of anything like 30 or 40%. You'll probably have some improvement in high ISO performance, and perhaps dynamic range, but for normal purposes the differences will be minute to zero. Unless you are a pro or printing wall-sized images, and enjoy lugging vast and heavy equipment about, I'd Stick with the D7200.

This

Thanks for your prompt responses!
I thought FF catches more light and provides better image quality but the percentage of better, that I don't know. Maybe 30-40%? Sharper images and better light? Like I said, I might know how to take a picture but I don't know much about equipment.
What set me off from mirrorless before this purchase was mainly the battery, I don't want to carry 3 batteries with me. With the DSLR, I'm as free as a bird, in fact, I haven't charged it in a week and I've been taking 100 pics every day... That being said, the Sony A7 II was my prince charming a month ago.

yes twice the amount of light. Not really 30-40% better over your D7200. Your main improvement will be in high ISO performance. With FF you'll also be able to shoot wider (not with Nikon FF though :p) and get shallower DoF. Images won't be any sharper with decent lenses IMO.

I can shoot 500-ish images on one battery on mirrorless. I can go nearly full day on one battery. DSLR will give you 2-4 times more juice. You can double the battery life using a vertical grip on mirrorless without increasing the bulk much over DSLRs.

If UWA lenses are your interest the widest you can get on APS-C is 12mm equivalent with sigma 8-16mm. On FF you can get as wide as 10mm on Sony, 11mm on Canon and 12mm on Nikon.

To me 100 shots a day sounds like there is a lot of spray and pray going on and no bigger format will turn such into masterpieces. Your money is better spend on gaining knowledge.

Really depends what you are shooting :)
In the streets? Hmm I really can't think of anything in the streets done with ultrawide. Maybe remote shots by a birds feeder trying to nail just one good composition and would that be fun :)

In the streets? Hmm I really can't think of anything in the streets done with ultrawide. Maybe remote shots by a birds feeder trying to nail just one good composition and would that be fun :)
You've obviously led a very sheltered life! :D
Seriously loads of folks take many shots in very many different situations including street activity, parades, demonstrations, street fairs, zoo visits, air shows, wildlife etc and it doesn't take much to rack up 100 shots in a day ... you don't have to sit beside a bird feeder!

100 shots a day (elsewhere it was like 500 shots and a full days shooting for the battery). Therefore I would make that 300-400 shots on a good day with a minimum of 100 per day. My D7200 can probably do about 12-14 on a burst at full speed ,,, so I could easily clock many more per day only for the battery. I must get rid of the camera next ...

I spend one hour or so photographing some kids on a couple of horses ... between 100-150 (snapshots at best). I could not be bothered looking at them to work out the complete fails and those that were in focus (but still snapshots). I must still be living in the early 80s where a click was £1 :-(

You've obviously led a very sheltered life! :D
Seriously loads of folks take many shots in very many different situations including street activity, parades, demonstrations, street fairs, zoo visits, air shows, wildlife etc and it doesn't take much to rack up 100 shots in a day ... you don't have to sit beside a bird feeder!
Well no, 24h a day withdrawn work sleep and eating does not leave much time for shooting. Going on tours in weekend's to the zoo or amusement parks, photo shoots or out in nature I try to make so many frames count as possible. The more frames wasted on crap shots the more time wasted on deleting. That doesn't mean I don't work the composition with multiple frames from different angles etc. but I try my best to work the shot/moment/composition before pressing the shutter, could be the MF/LF shooter in me talking. My max shooting 24x36 was 2 elitechrome 100vs 36exp slide films. I seldom did more than one doing macro, closeups and landscape from approx an hour before sunup till the light turned bad 2-3 hours after. Today 20-40 exposures closer to the former.

Edit. Out of those I get maybe 5 keepers in average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not the camera its the Person behind it that makes the picture
spend loads of money buy lots of gear and you will get absolutely perfect pictures
or keep the d7200 rack up plenty of actuations get some experiance
then make a judgement yourself - do you need to change or do you just want to change gas

*Mod edited* Not nice :(

Its not the camera its the Person behind it that makes the picture
spend loads of money buy lots of gear and you will get absolutely perfect pictures
or keep the d7200 rack up plenty of actuations get some experiance
then make a judgement yourself - do you need to change or do you just want to change gas

*Mod edited* Not nice :(

Was it really necessary to take the pi$$ out of a new member to make your point?

never heard d7200 been reviewed or referred to as a pro camera if so show me where SO HOW IS THAT TAKING THE P%SS

SO HOW IS IT NOT NICE MR MODERATOR ITS HOW YOUR INTERPRITATING IT SO GET A SENSE OF HUMOUR OR GET A LIFE

never heard d7200 been reviewed or referred to as a pro camera if so show me where SO HOW IS THAT TAKING THE P%SS

SO HOW IS IT NOT NICE MR MODERATOR ITS HOW YOUR INTERPRITATING IT SO GET A SENSE OF HUMOUR OR GET A LIFE
I think the point is to be careful using irony and sarcasm in writing since we can't see you expression or hear it in your voice. And maybe the use of emoticons works better than the written laughing which gives the post a somewhat negative attitude.
And there is no need to yell at people.
As for the D7200 being a professional camera or not IIRC its marketed as an entusiast camera (high-end?) but I don't see any reason it couldn't be used to make money.

If you want to raise an issue with the moderation of your post, shouting and ranting about it in a public thread isn't going to get you anywhere (except maybe a brief respite from the forum)
Use the "contact us" button if you believe that your post was moderated unfairly and admin will review the decision.

However, since several members, the person who moderated this thread last night and myself all agree that the tone of your original post was out of order, the more mature course of action may be to apologise to the OP for the way your response came across - even if it was unintentional.

site rules said:
Moderating decisions are not up for public discussion or debate.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate what my fellow mod said ...
Several people reported your post as "rude" Far too many people post aggressively towards new members.
And yes I have a life, a small part of which involves trying to keep the peace on TP.

Oh and my sense of humour is far too warped / off the wall for you.
Ask any of my friends or indeed fellow mods!

Last edited:
If you have only had the D7200 for a month and are unsure if you want to go full frame or not I would hold onto it and try and work out where you feel it's letting your pictures down. Unless your printing big as others have said then the sensor size is more than enough.

As others have said, post some pictures in the correct areas and ask for people to help you improve them. Photography is to me a constant learning curve. The only way you can improve your photos is by taking more.

Back