Where to go in Wales ?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Wales for a week at the start of October, does anyone have any suggestions for some great scenic places to visit ?

I'll be on the Gower Peninsula for a day, then around St.David's for a day and the rest of the week in Snowdonia.

We're up for a bit of walking, but nothing too tough - any ideas ?

Cheers,
Duncan

Can't think of anywhere in Wales that isn't photogenic!!

Pop into a newsagents and have a look at the postcards on display....they usually tell you where they were taken and its a good starting point. Also grab a local, large scale OS map. Any of the coastlines you are visiting should give you fab choices, just chose time and tides carefully. Local coastguard stations will have tide times. Have someone watch your back for encraching big waves! :LOL:

When in Snowdonia, just keep an eye on the weather...it can change from sun to fog/rain in the blink of an eye. Hope you have a great time.

Hey Duncan, you'll love it here!

Gower: plenty of cliffs, beaches, rock pools, sand! Swansea for pics of people and buildings. There's also a massive sandy beach in Swansea... probably a few miles long.

En Route to St Davids: You have to take a detour to Pendine Sands - miles and miles of flat sands where you will see wind surfers, wind boats (the things people sit on on the sand and go faaaast), then there's Tenby, Saundersfoot and the beautiful Cauldy Island with its monks and monastery. Could even take in a boat trip to Skomer Island... millions of sea birds, seals, inland birds etc... check boat times and weather conditions first though .

St Davids: the UK's smallest city :) and there's a totally awesome cathedral there that you really should visit with your camera. Try also a drive around the gorgeous peninsular where you'll find long sandy beaches such as Newgale, and a small haven called Solva which is a natural harbour - and very beautiful.

Snowdonia: Well... this speaks for itself yeah :)

There - how's that :)

If you only have time to do 1 mountain walk in Snowdonia do the Glyderau range from Ogwen, by far the most interesting terrain/scenic views !!

If you like Coastal walking, the Anglesey Coastal path has some really great scenery - in particular Llanddwyn beach/Island near Newborough or the walk between Cemaes & Bull Bay

A couple of shots I took on Saturday above Ogwen (lots more Snowdonia/Anglesey ideas on my site). Have fun !!

Simon

G101441_glyderau.jpg

G101506_glyderau-1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look them up and start making plans.

Where to start :)

Gower - Rhossili and 3 cliffs bay are a must ! Not sure you will have time for both.
Pembrokeshire !! - So much, Barafundle bay, Freshwater East, Prescellis Mountains, Newport, Cardigan ....

Go to the Bridge of Wales, fab walk, it's on MOD land and only open occasionally but well worth a trip, you can also see St Govans Chapel as well, a very old chapel built into a cliff overlooking the sea...

Mid Wales - Elan Valley, Brecon Beacons, Ystradfellte

South wales, Cardiff, Brecon Beacons :)

So much more to add

Crikey yeah, that was dreadful... Newport was a total line of traffic everywhere, thank goodness I travel everywhere on the train. I actually heard the plethora of sirens at 3:30am and wondered what had happened.

Anyway, sorry Duncan, back on topic: there's a few nice'ish things to photograph in and around Newport. The Wave... the fabulous Transporter Bridge, the new riverside theatre that changes colour every few mins, Celtic Manor (site of 2010 Ryder Cup), Wentwood forest, Severn estuary, Tredegar House, plus many other local nature trails and buildings.

We have some lovely scenery in Sussex but that is spectacular. Haven't been to Wales for years, must get up their next Spring.(y)

Where to start :)

Gower - Rhossili and 3 cliffs bay are a must ! Not sure you will have time for both.

Mid Wales - Elan Valley,

Seconded.

There's a great little campsite at three cliffs bay, right on the edge of the cliffs with a walk down to the beach. There's holes through the headland, the bay is really nice early in the morning/late at night.

Plus walk over the headland into Oxwich bay. Great hotel for food at the end but beware it's about a 4 mile walk. Worth it though.
81969307.jpg

81969316.jpg

Lots of steps also down to Rhossili, but worth it. Watch out for the hang gliders off the headland - they just hang int he air for about 30 mins with the updraught.

Elan valley - dams, water, hills - absolutely beautiful.

Back